Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
So if this is true, does it mean that Ford is taking a page out of the dodge playbook and will use a platform for 1 or 2 decades at a time?
Lest be honest, most Mustang platforms run for a decade at a time... the foxbody was long in the tooth, SN195, SN197... and now S550.

On thing to keep in mind the CD6 Explorer has Aluminum impact beams, Magnesium front end module, Aluminum extruded engine bay rails, cast aluminum shocktowers, Magnesium cross car beam, and lots more high strength steel. So while it might grow a little in size and mass it very well has the ability to come in lighter.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

That, for me, is the internet's biggest failing. They're quoting the same source (Automobile)........then someone will quote R&T and it just snowballs, but everyone assumes its true as they've seen the same story on 27 websites.

There could be truth in this, of course, but then it was apparently non-Ford sources that provided the information.

Sadly, only time will tell whether this is accurate information or not........but I'm not totally sold on this story yet.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Could it be an April fools joke? Maybe...

That said, it has a lot going for it, and a lot going against it.

Right now Ford has some really nice small sporty car offerings in the "hot hatch" segment. Moving to a slightly larger platform could allow it to compete with the bigger boys...BMW, Audi and Mercedes.
3 series wheelbase is 112.2 and the 5 is 117.1. As said in the article, the Challenger is 116.2 Moving to a middle ground of 112 to 114, or even 116 could open up some options.

2 door and 4 door versions, a REAL backseat. Stuff that makes it a bit more family friendly. Like it or not, it's a numbers game. Having a 4 door version would also open it back up to police vehicles.

However, that probably means more weight gain, and more less performance, unless they spend the money to make it an upscale car. Ford has been very reluctant to do that.

To be competitive, it would need 4-500 hp V8 - doable.
A fantastic suspension setup. This has not been Ford's wheelhouse.
A halo car like the M series - doable with the Shelby name, or some other hallowed name.
A nicer interior. - again, hard to do with the price point they are at.

GT would probably need to go to 10k or so USD in today's money for a fully loaded vehicle.

It will still need to go around corners, and fit and finish will have to significantly improve.

Can Ford do it? Yes. WILL Ford do it? Using past performance as a predictor of future results...No, they won't.

That's also discounting the political climate that will shift at some point, with some politician who "knows better than us" trying to force us all into electric cars.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Lest be honest, most Mustang platforms run for a decade at a time... the foxbody was long in the tooth, SN195, SN197... and now S550.

On thing to keep in mind the CD6 Explorer has Aluminum impact beams, Magnesium front end module, Aluminum extruded engine bay rails, cast aluminum shocktowers, Magnesium cross car beam, and lots more high strength steel. So while it might grow a little in size and mass it very well has the ability to come in lighter.
I guess I was more intrigued with the changing timelines Ford keeps doing. I was wondering if they see that it's working for dodge so why can't it work for us sort of thing. Makes you wonder if the Camaro will follow suit.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Right now Ford has some really nice small sporty car offerings in the "hot hatch" segment. Moving to a slightly larger platform could allow it to compete with the bigger boys...BMW, Audi and Mercedes.
3 series wheelbase is 112.2 and the 5 is 117.1. As said in the article, the Challenger is 116.2 Moving to a middle ground of 112 to 114, or even 116 could open up some options.
You can't just quote wheelbases and expect to convey the real size of a vehicle. Most European cars, especially sport sedans, have extremely small overhangs front and rear, so while they have LONG wheelbases, they are shorter, overall. American cars typically have much longer overhangs so that we can get more trunk space and longer hoods. The S550 has a 107" wheelbase and is 188" overall. The F10 BMW 5-series has a 117" wheelbase and between 193" and 197" long, overall.

They also weigh about the same as an S550 with two more doors and a lot more usable room, so...

JR

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
The last thing people want is a bigger Mustang. Eventually the Challenger and Charger will be smaller so for Ford to go the opposite direction would be weird.

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
Make a bigger mustang and you could throw the new 7.3l in it and the torque would more than move the increase in weight I bet.

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
I say keep the current version around long enough (which is a fantastic design) and it might be more likely spawn special editions like Mach1, Boss, Bullitt etc. to keep interest up.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
You can't just quote wheelbases and expect to convey the real size of a vehicle. Most European cars, especially sport sedans, have extremely small overhangs front and rear, so while they have LONG wheelbases, they are shorter, overall. American cars typically have much longer overhangs so that we can get more trunk space and longer hoods. The S550 has a 107" wheelbase and is 188" overall. The F10 BMW 5-series has a 117" wheelbase and between 193" and 197" long, overall.

They also weigh about the same as an S550 with two more doors and a lot more usable room, so...

JR
my 550i (F10) weights over 4354 lbs. the current one weighs in at 4372, and the mustang is 3702, so 652-670 lbs more than a mustang. The 2017 340xi is 3555, but is also an inline 6, not an 8, which will add a few pounds.

My 5 is 117" wheelbase and a length of 192". the 3 is 110" and 182" for wheelbase and length. So yes, a little bit longer of an overhang, but if you can push the wheels to the corners a bit more, it might help a bit.

Sponsored

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
I say keep the current version around long enough (which is a fantastic design) and it might be more likely spawn special editions like Mach1, Boss, Bullitt etc. to keep interest up.
Sounds like dodges strategy that has worked so well with the challenger.

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
Well if that report is true, there goes my desire for an S650. The mustang needs to get smaller, not bigger...I was a bit concerned of just that possiblity though being that the CD6 platform is mostly an SUV platform.
Which is why Ford needs a competitor against the Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ - 200-350HP small 2+2 sports car!

Deleted member 35786

https://www.thedrive.com/news/27264...SJXnXkToMvG6gl5R6ZPd4tHAFV1EeCOVqxE5b7tKPH5Zk

Next-Gen Ford Mustang Could Use Explorer Platform, Be a Lot Bigger and Heavier: Report
Rumors say the upcoming pony car will swell to the size of the Dodge Challenger and rock an SUV platform to save on development costs.
BY JAMES GILBOYAPRIL 2, 2019
0&w=1440&url=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.thedrive.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F11%2F2018-mustang-gt.jpg

FORD

JAMES GILBOYView James Gilboy's Articles

The next-generation Ford Mustang will reportedly undergo its biggest alteration in the model's history, by adopting a platform used by some of the Blue Oval's crossovers. In fact, rumors say that the agile pony car could eventually resemble the Dodge Challenger in size.

According to Automobile, Ford will migrate two more models to its CD6 platform (already used by the Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator) starting with the Edge crossover by 2021, leaving room for one more vehicle to migrate. Its next Mustang, reportedly codenamed S650, is believed to follow sometime thereafter, corroborating prior rumors that claimed the same timeline.

Despite allegations that the Mustang would also jump to the CD6 platform and sport all-wheel-drive for 2021, Ford has reportedly delayed the switchover. Sources reportedly said the CD6-based Mustang could arrive as soon as the 2026 model year (possibly for 2025), or as far out as the 2029 model year. Sharing platforms between the Mustang and other models—a first for Ford—would reduce development and manufacturing costs, allowing the niche model to remain financially viable for a longer period of time.

The S650 Mustang will reportedly swell to proportions near those of the current Dodge Challenger, which will reportedly allow Ford more leniency for fuel economy and emissions ratings on the model. Though the Mustang and Challenger are practically the same widths today, the S650 is said to come in closer to the Challenger's length, and potentially, even its height.

Ford will reportedly tie the current S550 Mustang over until the new model is ready. To do this, Ford will reportedly give the S550 a major mid-cycle update, complete with platform updates and all-new bodywork, even though there was no estimate as to when these updated Mustangs will be announced. Word is that a more powerful Mustang EcoBoost is coming in 2020, and a hybrid is said to follow any time from 2020 to mid-2022, pointing to the early 2020s as a likely candidate for the launch of the facelifted, pre-CD6 Mustang.

Ford reportedly considered using the S550 as the basis for a Lincoln-branded halo coupe, one allegedly called the Mark IX, but this vehicle was reportedly canceled before development began. If Lincoln can maintain the stride it hit with the suicide-door $110,000 Continental, it won't need such a model for its resurgence.

Status
Not open for further replies.