Upgraded turbo recommendations

suitedanimal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
I'm getting to the point where I am looking into upgrading my turbo, however I am looking for sorta the opposite of what many people are.
Ideally I would like to run a turbo with a later really hard hitting lag... I know that for pretty much all cases lag is worse performance wise, but I think having a hard hitting lag would be more fun for a street car.
So any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Just from my uninformed, non-turbo driving opinion (saw this on latest posts): Hard hitting later lag would mean that as soon as you're finally up to traffic speed THEN your turbo kicks in and you're hitting the brakes already. Doesn't sound like fun for a street car to me, highway car? Maybe. But not an around town light to light car.

OP
OP

suitedanimal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
Just from my uninformed, non-turbo driving opinion (saw this on latest posts): Hard hitting later lag would mean that as soon as you're finally up to traffic speed THEN your turbo kicks in and you're hitting the brakes already. Doesn't sound like fun for a street car to me, highway car? Maybe. But not an around town light to light car.
Kinda, if it hits somewhere around 4k it should still be useable in daily, also I live in an area with traffic few and far between, so I could easily do a 2nd or 3rd gear pull and just coast back down to regular speed
It's my bad I should have specified the lag i would look for, something that hits around 4-4.5k with a solid punch

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Kinda, if it hits somewhere around 4k it should still be useable in daily, also I live in an area with traffic few and far between, so I could easily do a 2nd or 3rd gear pull and just coast back down to regular speed
It's my bad I should have specified the lag i would look for, something that hits around 4-4.5k with a solid punch
You might be the first that attempts that. I assume your looking for top end. I would think that the current turbos people go with can meet your needs quite nicely.

I have not ever heard about a person wanting more turbo lag, other than wanting better top end, why do you want this? Personally I would like it to be like a BMW and hit full boost at 1800 rpms but that's just me

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Boost is boost.... if you want hard hitting PSI then you are going to have to build and engine to handle it.

Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Bigger the turbo bigger the lag. Right?

OP
OP

suitedanimal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
You might be the first that attempts that. I assume your looking for top end. I would think that the current turbos people go with can meet your needs quite nicely.

I have not ever heard about a person wanting more turbo lag, other than wanting better top end, why do you want this? Personally I would like it to be like a BMW and hit full boost at 1800 rpms but that's just me
I just want something that has a bit more character for a daily/street car, I fully understand that no lag is ideal (hell my current turbo spools very quickly but looses out in top end and ive driven my buddies m2 which punches very quickly), I just think that having that a hard hitting lag would liven up the driving

OP
OP

suitedanimal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
Bigger the turbo bigger the lag. Right?
Yeah but could also be a case of going with slightly out of date tech like a single scroll, so it spools later
Sponsored