Sponsored

Dyno after Vortech Install (need advice)

joeman304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I decided to take the day off and get the car dyno'ed after installing the Vortech V3si kit. The engine made 579hp and 483ft/lbs @ 10.99psi. However, we only did one dyno pull (blue line on graph) because we noticed the AFR was lean. It got up to 13.21:1 at its peak. We then one test run (red line) to try and figure out why its running lean.

Injector duty cycle seems high (kit came with 47lbs injectors). The tech said that the fuel pressure isn't bad but its a tad low for the application. Then its possibly the tune itself as well. What I'm thinking is that I'm needing a bigger fuel pump (or fuel pump booster), larger injectors, and a new tune obviously. Just want to make sure I'm theorizing correctly.

20190401-105240.jpg

20190401-105402.jpg

I've had the kit on for about 800 miles now, my current engine mods are:

JLT Paxton/Vortech CAI
Steeda X-Pipe
FRPP Touring Axle-backs
Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
did you order a tuner kit? i thought they all came with a BAP. id say thats a must

TyrFryr_5.0h

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium PP
Sounds like it needs a BAP and bigger injectors IMO. At the very least a BAP. 47# injectors seem small for that set up though. I thought that the complete kits came with a BAP as well.

OP
OP

joeman304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Sounds like it needs a BAP and bigger injectors IMO. At the very least a BAP. 47# injectors seem small for that set up though. I thought that the complete kits came with a BAP as well.
Yeah I thought they did as well, which is why I thought they supplied the 47lbs injectors. Oh well. Looks like I've got some parts to save up for.

Sponsored

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Best thing you can do is find a tuner you like and consult them. They should give you good guidance on what to get and also what they prefer to tune for a given setup such as injector and fuel system types. They should give you that info for free before you purchase so doesn’t hurt to ask and establish a relationship with the tuner of your choice.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Do you have knock log? That’s very lean wot under boost. Unless you have some killer fuel that as no doubt starting to detonate. Lean and knock retard would explain the soft power

BadGTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Auto, 1400HP GTR
Do not get into boost with that tune. You will be buying many more parts, like a motor. Did you send a log to your tuner?

ChristianDev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT MT
IMO you’re making too much power on the base kit with 47# injectors and no BAP. You’re running out of fuel at that boost level. I’m running a Vortech v3, id1000s, and a BAP making 620 whp

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Dont think i have ever seen anyone run 47lb injectors and no bap running 11psi of boost.Was this kit bought new.If so i would be calling them up and bitching them out since they sent u the pulley to run also.

Sponsored

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
How did they log your fuel pressure on the dyno? Did they add a sensor? It is a nice feature but our cars do not have don't have a fuel pressure sensor so it must be external. Our returnless setups are limited to 58psi inside the tank. I am surprised to see fuel pressure drop to 50 at such a low power level. You fuel pressure is dropping early in the run as well which points to possible failing fuel pump. If I had to guess the injectors are too small. You would have been better off buying a beefcake special kit with larger injectors and custom tune but that is water over the bridge. Don't put the car in boost until you figure this out. The AFR graph also looks interesting because it appears to be lean through the whole run like the tuner is commanding 12.25:1. Most of my tunes from a very reputable tuner command approx. 11.5.1.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
im guessing your running the vortech tune? id called lund asap. 11psi and no BAP is not a good thing

OP
OP

joeman304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I'm gonna try and answer everyone below:

No, we did not have a knock log, but the tech told me that the curve dipped a bit up top because he suspects it was pulling timing due to knock.

I don't plan on driving the car hard anymore until I address the fueling issue. I'm glad that I took it to the dyno when I did. The tune is the tune that Vortech provided with the kit. When I spoke to Vortech about it, they said that the system and tune is not set up for the mods that I have. That I needed to go back to stock everything for the tune to work properly......

I'm surprised that the kit came with 47lb injectors myself. I was figuring it would have came with 52's at a minimum. Also, no BAP was surprising as well. I got the kit from Beefcake back during their Black Friday specials were going on. I probably should have went with their Beefcake special kits instead tbh.

The tech did add a fuel pressure sensor for the second pull. The AFR curve looked that way to me too, that it was trying to hold in the 12's.

Yes it is the out of the box tune from Vortech. As they told me, the tune is only for a bone stock mustang. The car is my only means of transportation at the moment, so I'll just be driving it normally until the issue is addressed. BAP, Injectors, and tune isn't all that cheap so its probably gonna be another month or two until I can get the money together.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I'm gonna try and answer everyone below:

No, we did not have a knock log, but the tech told me that the curve dipped a bit up top because he suspects it was pulling timing due to knock.

I don't plan on driving the car hard anymore until I address the fueling issue. I'm glad that I took it to the dyno when I did. The tune is the tune that Vortech provided with the kit. When I spoke to Vortech about it, they said that the system and tune is not set up for the mods that I have. That I needed to go back to stock everything for the tune to work properly......

I'm surprised that the kit came with 47lb injectors myself. I was figuring it would have came with 52's at a minimum. Also, no BAP was surprising as well. I got the kit from Beefcake back during their Black Friday specials were going on. I probably should have went with their Beefcake special kits instead tbh.

The tech did add a fuel pressure sensor for the second pull. The AFR curve looked that way to me too, that it was trying to hold in the 12's.

Yes it is the out of the box tune from Vortech. As they told me, the tune is only for a bone stock mustang. The car is my only means of transportation at the moment, so I'll just be driving it normally until the issue is addressed. BAP, Injectors, and tune isn't all that cheap so its probably gonna be another month or two until I can get the money together.
What mods are done to the car other than the vortech kit? Just the X-Pipe and the JLT inlet on vortech? Still on the same pulley? The inlet could be increasing boost so I would put stock airbox back on till you get a new tune.

OP
OP

joeman304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
What mods are done to the car other than the vortech kit? Just the X-Pipe and the JLT inlet on vortech? Still on the same pulley? The inlet could be increasing boost so I would put stock air box back on till you get a new tune.
Yeah, those are my only mods that pertain to engine performance. That's not a bad idea. I'll throw the stock air box on when I get home.
Sponsored