Sponsored

GT 500 convertible will it be made for 2020?

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Ford with the last gen 500. Not saying its gonna happen, but wouldn't surprise me either!!!
So let me understand you correctly.
You are saying because the 14 and older 500 offered a convertible that you’d not be surprised if ford were to eventually offer a 500 convertible in the future?

Son, it’s not gonna happen.
That’s like wishing for a manual trans 500.

Cars of this caliber do not belong as convertibles.
Period.
Sponsored

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
You are saying because the 14 and older 500 offered a convertible that you’d not be surprised if ford were to eventually offer a 500 convertible in the future?

Period.
Just build your own.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

Period.
First off, I SERIOUSLY doubt there will be a GT500 Conv., even though the ‘68 GT500 Conv is high on my lotto car list. But there are several examples of cars at and beyond this caliber that do have convertibles.

Camaro ZL1, Corvette Z06 and ZR1, Porsche 911 Turbo, Audi R8. All started on chassis that were developed assuming convertible. I don’t know if that is true of S550 or not. Seems reasonable, since there are a lot of GT Convertibles, but I still doubt if we’ll see a GT500 Conv.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
First off, I SERIOUSLY doubt there will be a GT500 Conv., even though the ‘68 GT500 Conv is high on my lotto car list. But there are several examples of cars at and beyond this caliber that do have convertibles.

Camaro ZL1, Corvette Z06 and ZR1, Porsche 911 Turbo, Audi R8. All started on chassis that were developed assuming convertible. I don’t know if that is true of S550 or not. Seems reasonable, since there are a lot of GT Convertibles, but I still doubt if we’ll see a GT500 Conv.
Oh yeah? Show me a Ford factory produced S550 with over 500 hp.
Convertibles are not a strong foundation to build on. Especially at these hp levels. Essentially a bath tub on wheels.

Sponsored

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)

Well I am building 1 that Ford never made so anything is really possible

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
We like to build what Ford did not is that OK pal ?
Hey Pal
You see a reason to give me two different answers?
I can give two shits if you want to cut up a car and make it into a worthless convertible. Have at it Pat.

And I personally think you’re full of shit to buy a brand new gt500 and cut it up into a convertible. But have at it.
Pics or I’m calling you a liar.

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
Hey Pal
You see a reason to give me two different answers?
I can give two shits if you want to cut up a car and make it into a worthless convertible. Have at it Pat.

And I personally think you’re full of shit to buy a brand new gt500 and cut it up into a convertible. But have at it.
Pics or I’m calling you a liar.
Have a nice day

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

Oh yeah? Show me a Ford factory produced S550 with over 500 hp.
Convertibles are not a strong foundation to build on. Especially at these hp levels. Essentially a bath tub on wheels.
Well, the bold part was sorta my point. The other cars I mentioned are all well over 500 hp and they are built on chassis meant to take that AND to offer a convertible. The S550 chassis is more than likely not as rigid as any of those. That’s the argument against. The argument of TYPE of car to field a convertible is really not the issue. It’s the chassis. Ford is building 460 hp convertibles and 700+ coupes on the S550 chassis, so the chassis is good for something. Personally, I think the amount of mass they may have to add to support. Aconvertible would make the car a mess, so I don’t expect they will go that route.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Seriously folks there is no convertible 2020 GT500. And yes you can hack anything up and make it worse.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Well, the bold part was sorta my point. The other cars I mentioned are all well over 500 hp and they are built on chassis meant to take that AND to offer a convertible. The S550 chassis is more than likely not as rigid as any of those. That’s the argument against. The argument of TYPE of car to field a convertible is really not the issue. It’s the chassis.
Right, that was my assertion in a previous post: it's not the idea that a convertible can't be done at high power/performance levels (see your list, heck, just look at the ZR1 in convertible flavor @ 755HP with massive aero!) it's specific to Ford (possibly just a branding / positioning thing, maybe safety/legal BS) and the S550 platform (chassis rigidity, etc.)
Sponsored