Sponsored

GT500 takes to the street and track in Las Vegas

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
It really doesn't matter.

But for discussions sake the track that I think of that Ford uses quite a bit are the Utah Motorsports Campus. The big track is broken down to two smaller tracks right at about 2.5 miles. The release footage was all shot there, the spied video of the camo'd 500 was shot there. A lot of time was spend there and is a decent track to test the various types of turns and the handling performance of the car. This track is not a high speed track however, but with the speed limiter, I don't think that top end speed is a metric they are after anyway.
anecdotally to me it does. so this is a decent time killer. per below, we can put together another measuring point. Id be curious to know how it compares to the competition, at least in 1 aspect, even though i dont road-course and waiting for 1/4 mile

Interestingly enough, the GT350R was less than a second slower than the ZL1 at Willow Springs (popular 2.5 mile track). Not sure how much quicker a ZL1 1LE is compared to the ZL1.

Not saying that's the track, but being 4 seconds faster than the R makes me think the ZL1 1LE is going to be embarrassed by the GT500.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
anecdotally to me it does. so this is a decent time killer. per below, we can put together another measuring point. Id be curious to know how it compares to the competition, at least in 1 aspect, even though i dont road-course and waiting for 1/4 mile
I guess for kicks, grins, and giggles. However it isn't going to change anything. All the estimates so far are just that, guesses on data. The old expression when using those performance computers is garbage in, garbage out.

Have fun.

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Iā€™m sorry. I can only take so much of Jim. I know who he is and what his job is. But to me, heā€™s a used car salesman. All talk, no facts.
Venom kills Demons. Yeah on a road course. I know the demon is a straight line only car, but he should of never made that statement.
I love the GT500 but ford is taking to long and as much as I want one, Iā€™m keeping my R and not adding a GT500 for awhile.
I feel like this means nothing without a Nurburgring lap time.

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ford never posts Nurburgring times. They are a bit pointless and almost as bad as magazine tests.

Sponsored

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
Then how do you compare out right performance data?
Never been a ring time fan, especially when the manufacturers make the effort. Now if itā€™s same drivers, same conditions with factory production cars, maybe Iā€™d care. Iā€™ll drive this car harder than most here and itā€™s not on my radar (ring times), but I guess itā€™s fun for bench racing.
Very much looking forward to seeing performance data on this car.
Lightning Lap and Randy Probst Track reviews will be cool to see.
I took my 2014 to the strip with 600 miles. Iā€™m not leaning towards a strip build, but Iā€™ll take it to my tuner early on for most boost, E85 tuning and a few mods. Street and top speed events should be fun for this car.
-J

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Why should I care about an American Muscle car's lap times on a german road that has the most un-repeatable setups known to man? Take it to willow or VIR, or anywhere in the US really. I dont even care about lap times, but if you want a comparison, it has to be similar

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Listening to Jim talk reminds me why I canā€™t stand marketing guys. 500 ft-lbs of rear downforce. Almost had it.

Also great video of the car not driving on the track and going 15mph on the ā€˜streetā€™. Awful.

Sponsored

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Never been a ring time fan, especially when the manufacturers make the effort. Now if itā€™s same drivers, same conditions with factory production cars, maybe Iā€™d care. Iā€™ll drive this car harder than most here and itā€™s not on my radar (ring times), but I guess itā€™s fun for bench racing.
Very much looking forward to seeing performance data on this car.
Lightning Lap and Randy Probst Track reviews will be cool to see.
I took my 2014 to the strip with 600 miles. Iā€™m not leaning towards a strip build, but Iā€™ll take it to my tuner early on for most boost, E85 tuning and a few mods. Street and top speed events should be fun for this car.
-J
The GT500 is a factory production car, and the ring is one of the longest technicals in the world. Just from an engineering perspective itā€™s like heaven...Iā€™m an engineer, and have driven Nordschliefe a few times over the 12 years Iā€™ve lived in Germany.
To steal a bit of a quote ,ā€The Nordschleife, or Northern Loop, is a 12.93 mile track comprising 73 turns ā€“ 33 left and 40 right. As if the sheer number of turns wasnā€™t enough to make you dizzy, thereā€™s the variance in track conditions. At its lowest point, Breidscheid, the Nordschleifeā€™s altitude of just 1050 ft. above sea level is low enough to give naturally aspirated engines almost full power with minimal losses. At its highest point, Hohe Acht, the Nordschleife peaks at 2024 ft. above sea level. Thatā€™s nearly 1000 ft. in variance along a single lap.ā€
This should speak volumes to anyone that check atmospheric conditions on their favored tracks, or roads. For instance, here is SoCal some of our routes ascend to 4000ft above sea level, and drop back to about 1000 in short order. You definitely feel it, and watching everything from AFR, Engine temps, tire pressures etc, is important for a good, safe, non damaged run. I am sure Ford has tested it from their HQ at the ring, but Iā€™d still like to know where they sit with all the variables Nordschleife can throw at you in one lap. Willow is not worthy of testing the GT500 lol.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
The GT500 is a factory production car, and the ring is one of the longest technicals in the world. Just from an engineering perspective itā€™s like heaven...Iā€™m an engineer, and have driven Nordschliefe a few times over the 12 years Iā€™ve lived in Germany.
To steal a bit of a quote ,ā€The Nordschleife, or Northern Loop, is a 12.93 mile track comprising 73 turns ā€“ 33 left and 40 right. As if the sheer number of turns wasnā€™t enough to make you dizzy, thereā€™s the variance in track conditions. At its lowest point, Breidscheid, the Nordschleifeā€™s altitude of just 1050 ft. above sea level is low enough to give naturally aspirated engines almost full power with minimal losses. At its highest point, Hohe Acht, the Nordschleife peaks at 2024 ft. above sea level. Thatā€™s nearly 1000 ft. in variance along a single lap.ā€
This should speak volumes to anyone that check atmospheric conditions on their favored tracks, or roads. For instance, here is SoCal some of our routes ascend to 4000ft above sea level, and drop back to about 1000 in short order. You definitely feel it, and watching everything from AFR, Engine temps, tire pressures etc, is important for a good, safe, non damaged run. I am sure Ford has tested it from their HQ at the ring, but Iā€™d still like to know where they sit with all the variables Nordschleife can throw at you in one lap. Willow is not worthy of testing the GT500 lol.
Its also one of the most easily manipulated and unrepeatable ones, so from an engineering perspective, useless. Add tot hat they have yet to send a car there to publish, so why start now. Why not take it to a pikes peak peak rally course while we are at it

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Then how do you compare out right performance data?
To do it right? By looking at unscientific testing and results from different amateur drivers/journalists on different days, on different tracks, and arguing with people you don't know on the internet, trying to convince then that you're right.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
To do it right? By looking at unscientific testing and results from different amateur drivers/journalists on different days, on different tracks, and arguing with people you don't know on the internet, trying to convince then that you're right.
Also never forget that the NUMBERS are the most important thing in the world. Nothing else such as driver enjoyment matters in the least.

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I would think Ford would use their usual test drivers and engineering teams at most of the tracks, the numbers, tech, and specs of this car are very impressive so naturally I am inquisitive about it's real world performance under stress, full tilt. I understand that they want to keep some things under wraps for marketing purposes closer to the release, but damned if I am not curious.
Sponsored