KR001 (the first 19) GT350R started production today

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
White w/Black stripes? You'll look just like thus guy!

frap_skv_8433.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Hi Tomster. I know we hear different things from a variety of sources. Here's a clip of the recent Shelby Bash in LV. The focus is on the GT500, but luckily Jim Owens Marketing Manager for Ford Performance whose one of the leaders on the Shelby program is asked directly "how much longer are you guys going to do the 350". The words from Jim's mouth (at 3:45 in the clip above) "the only thing we've said is through the 2020 model year". Let's keep our fingers crossed that's the case (for all of us with pending orders waiting to get builds scheduled) ;-)
I like Jim. I think his heart is in the right place. He is so enthusiastic about what he does. I appreciate him.

I saw that video and figured that he may have misspoke? Maybe he didn't, I don't know, sometimes I misspeak (venom kills, never mind). It was my impression that what was said (from alternate sources) that the 350 and 500 would both be on the showroom floor at the same time. As far as I know, Ford has not made any announcement for a 2020 GT350. The 2020 MY for the 500 is going to be short, and newsflash, production is right around the corner. Ford is just getting started on '19MY 350's, heck KR001 was just built. TT for the 500 is more than halfway and from what I hear things are going well.

The GT350 MY19 came late and with what I've been told pertaining to the 500 planned production, makes me question the feasibility of 350 production coinciding together with the 500 on any large scale. It has already been surmised that the 19MY will be short with a reduced amount of units so as to share production with the new 500. So I think that it is safe to say that '19 350's will share the line with '20 500's. A MY20 vehicle traditionally starts production in the late summer to fall months of '19. Again, the GT350 MY19 came late and is IMHO essentially a MY20 car (from a timeframe perspective). Furthermore, MY19 350's now have Cup 2's. Production will have to stop sometime in the late fall/early winter (cracking tire issue). Unless Ford does another late and short GT350 model year for '20, I don't see how that is going to work. Sure its possible, but the '20 350 will have a very similar production schedule to what you are seeing right now for the '19.

So take Jim for his literal word while working a crowd in a parking lot while being bombarded with a million questions. If he misspoke, no big deal. If he didn't, no big deal either. I think at this point, anyone who wanted a GT350 had plenty of opportunity, especially lately (with non R's going for sub MSRP).

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Given the amount of changes for 19 MYr, my crystal ball says 2 more years of GT350 and one only for the R (that includes 19 MY) :)
Yes, I think the R is finished after 19

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Personally, I'd be ok with them stopping the GT350... now that I have one ;-) I like having 1 of 396. Color and years aside, it's more like 1 or 17,000. So yea, make less.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Koons Ford Sterling VA has 9 new 350 just sitting there rotting in the sun - 1-3K off. I saw at least one super-snake. These guys appear to move a ton of Mustangs so if anyone has extra -R allocations in the mid-Atlantic, it's probably them. 15 minute drive from Dulles International.

Last edited:

Sponsored

vancouver_voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
GT350 2019
I like Jim. I think his heart is in the right place. He is so enthusiastic about what he does. I appreciate him.

I saw that video and figured that he may have misspoke? Maybe he didn't, I don't know, sometimes I misspeak (venom kills, never mind). It was my impression that what was said (from alternate sources) that the 350 and 500 would both be on the showroom floor at the same time. As far as I know, Ford has not made any announcement for a 2020 GT350. The 2020 MY for the 500 is going to be short, and newsflash, production is right around the corner. Ford is just getting started on '19MY 350's, heck KR001 was just built. TT for the 500 is more than halfway and from what I hear things are going well.

The GT350 MY19 came late and with what I've been told pertaining to the 500 planned production, makes me question the feasibility of 350 production coinciding together with the 500 on any large scale. It has already been surmised that the 19MY will be short with a reduced amount of units so as to share production with the new 500. So I think that it is safe to say that '19 350's will share the line with '20 500's. A MY20 vehicle traditionally starts production in the late summer to fall months of '19. Again, the GT350 MY19 came late and is IMHO essentially a MY20 car (from a timeframe perspective). Furthermore, MY19 350's now have Cup 2's. Production will have to stop sometime in the late fall/early winter (cracking tire issue). Unless Ford does another late and short GT350 model year for '20, I don't see how that is going to work. Sure its possible, but the '20 350 will have a very similar production schedule to what you are seeing right now for the '19.

So take Jim for his literal word while working a crowd in a parking lot while being bombarded with a million questions. If he misspoke, no big deal. If he didn't, no big deal either. I think at this point, anyone who wanted a GT350 had plenty of opportunity, especially lately (with non R's going for sub MSRP).
My take was he made it sound like they’re keeping the 350 as an alternative to 500 if you want the manual experience. Which would seem we might see MY20 350 still unless they introduce MY21 500 with manual then they’d have no reason to keep 350 I guess. Do you think there’s a chance of that? I do agree with your overall logic.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Furthermore, MY19 350's now have Cup 2's. Production will have to stop sometime in the late fall/early winter (cracking tire issue).
That's gotta be the silliest response from a world-leading manufacturing operation. Slap temporary wheels on the car and ship the intended wheels with Cup2 to the dealer in a climate-controlled truck. Or just switch out to a different model of tire. Or simply stipulate that 350s can't be left parked outside in the elements for days and weeks at a time in sub-40F temps or whatever the magic temp is.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
That's gotta be the silliest response from a world-leading manufacturing operation. Slap temporary wheels on the car and ship the intended wheels with Cup2 to the dealer in a climate-controlled truck. Or just switch out to a different model of tire. Or simply stipulate that 350s can't be left parked outside in the elements for days and weeks at a time in sub-40F temps or whatever the magic temp is.
I disagree. What you suggest is way too expensive and cumbersome for dealers to do. And who is to say the R that YOU buy was actually kept inside or outside? Or just moved off the truck in the cold? Temp wheels/tires? Nah.

Now, MAYBE they could offer to ship an R with different tires, but I doubt they'd want to bother.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I disagree. What you suggest is way too expensive and cumbersome for dealers to do. And who is to say the R that YOU buy was actually kept inside or outside? Or just moved off the truck in the cold? Temp wheels/tires? Nah.

Now, MAYBE they could offer to ship an R with different tires, but I doubt they'd want to bother.
I agree. not cost effective at all for a low volume product that can simply be produced in warm months.

Sponsored

thaext

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Leet Pony
There IS , I repeat IS going to be a 2020 350.. There was a big ol press release touting the reveal of grabber lime. The press release stated that Grabber lime, along with Iconic Silver, Red hot metallic and Twister orange is going to be available on the 350's too.

DEARBORN, Mich., March 15, 2019 – Just in time for St. Patrick’s Day, Ford is unveiling Grabber Lime for the 2020 Mustang. More potent than krypton-ite, this high-impact green inspired by a vintage Mustang color from the 1970s is sure to leave other muscle cars green with envy.

“It’s lime green on steroids,” said Barb Whalen, Ford color and materials manager. “This color traces back to a Mustang heritage color while bringing it forward with more modern, dynamic pigments and bold new energy.”

Grabber Lime is one of two new feature colors available across the Mustang lineup for 2020; Twister Orange is the other. In addition, new Iconic Silver and Red Hot Metallic will freshen up the new Mustang palette, including for Shelby GT350 and Shelby GT500 models.

“These bright, vibrant retro colors are trending in design – in home furnishings, sportswear and even appliances,” said Whalen. “Aspirational and confident, they are fun, youthful colors that make a statement of how you want the world to see you and who you want to be. And your car is an extension of that.”

The new 2020 Ford Mustang arrives this fall.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
It is my understanding that the Cup 2 tires that now come standard on the GT350 have a totally different compound and also have a different mold therefore don't see this as an issue of the GT350's.

Additionally I don't see the GT350's coming with very little tread depth as they do with the R models.

Not sure if you have looked at the Cup 2 tires on the R model but they come with very few 32nd's of tread.

:sunglasses:

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I knew they were a slightly different compound, but no matter which variety you get, they are still a soft R compound tire. That is the limitation when dealing with cold temperatures. Unless Michelin used a non R compound in the Cup 2 tire, I don't see getting around this. Maybe this explains the very low MY19 production?

xRAZGRIZ1127x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2019 Gt350
Ordered My 2019 GT350 performance blue no stripes back in February. Follow the online tracker everyday and happy to say my car finished production 3/26/19 (a week after it was put on assembly line). Expected delivery 4/16/2019. Can't wait
1.png
Sponsored