Sponsored

Guess the 2015 5.0 Coyote HP and TQ numbers

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
It has heads that are slightly better than the Boss heads, the same exhaust cams as the Boss, and very slightly better intake cams. On the other hand, it has an intake manifold that is worse and it doesn't have the forged pistons/rods or some of the beefed up stuff Ford added to be extra confident about the 7500 rpm redline in the Boss. Based on that I'm guessing it comes very close to the Boss rating, but just a hair under - probably 435 or 440.
You are misinformed.

-Sinter forged connecting rods that are lighter and more durable for high-rpm operation
-Redesigned piston tops with deeper cutouts to clear the new larger valves
-Rebalanced forged crankshaft that supports higher-rpm operation
Agree with Brent, and furthermore the cams are closer to the Cobra Jet than the Boss 302 with 13mm lift both intake and exhaust(versus 11mm intake for the '11-14 GT and Boss). Also the 2015 5.0 includes mid-phase lock Ti-VCT which allows greater cam timing control throughout the rev range.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

RTD

Threads
Reaction score
You are misinformed.

-Sinter forged connecting rods that are lighter and more durable for high-rpm operation
-Redesigned piston tops with deeper cutouts to clear the new larger valves
-Rebalanced forged crankshaft that supports higher-rpm operation
You're the one that's misinformed, and there is much more to what they did to rate the Boss redline at 7500 than just that. I'll be shocked if the 2015 GT has a stock redline equal to or higher than the Boss.

RTD

Threads
Reaction score

RTD

Threads
Reaction score
Agree with Brent, and furthermore the cams are closer to the Cobra Jet than the Boss 302 with 13mm lift both intake and exhaust(versus 11mm intake for the '11-14 GT and Boss). Also the 2015 5.0 includes mid-phase lock Ti-VCT which allows greater cam timing control throughout the rev range.
My understanding is that the 2015 uses the Boss exhaust cam and the Cobra Jet intake cam (which was originally intended for the Boss but later dropped due to cost concerns, and only provides a few hp over the GT/Boss intake cam). Where the CJ really differs is in its exhaust cams, which are way more radical than the Boss's and would never be put OEM into a production car with cats and mufflers.

Sponsored

RTD

Threads
Reaction score
My take is that the focus (between the charge motion control valves in the intake manifold and the mid phase lock for the TiVCT) is on increasing peak torque but especially on having a really broad and flat torque curve. Peak hp will increase over the current 420 number, but it isn't going to be the huge number some of you are expecting.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
You're the one that's misinformed, and there is much more to what they did to rate the Boss redline at 7500 than just that. I'll be shocked if the 2015 GT has a stock redline equal to or higher than the Boss.
My understanding is that the 2015 uses the Boss exhaust cam and the Cobra Jet intake cam (which was originally intended for the Boss but later dropped due to cost concerns, and only provides a few hp over the GT/Boss intake cam). Where the CJ really differs is in its exhaust cams, which are way more radical than the Boss's and would never be put OEM into a production car with cats and mufflers.
My take is that the focus (between the charge motion control valves in the intake manifold and the mid phase lock for the TiVCT) is on increasing peak torque but especially on having a really broad and flat torque curve. Peak hp will increase over the current 420 number, but it isn't going to be the huge number some of you are expecting.

All of the information regarding the 2015 5.0 engine has been posted here already.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/2015-mustang-s550-986.html

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
It has heads that are slightly better than the Boss heads, the same exhaust cams as the Boss, and very slightly better intake cams. On the other hand, it has an intake manifold that is worse and it doesn't have the forged pistons/rods or some of the beefed up stuff Ford added to be extra confident about the 7500 rpm redline in the Boss. Based on that I'm guessing it comes very close to the Boss rating, but just a hair under - probably 435 or 440.
You can't just gloss over the head and cams upgrades and assume they are no big deal. We have no idea to what degree the heads are better than the Boss heads, only that they have higher flow ports with a straighter path and larger valves. And as already mentioned they are actuated by higher lift cams (better combined than both the outgoing Boss and GT's were).

I don't know what your level of knowledge about engines is, but if you've ever dug into one you should know that swapping cylinder heads (or even simply porting them) and cams is one of the single biggest ways to increase power. Even without upgrading cams, flow improvements to the heads can make a very substantial difference.

Btw, I do agree some of the changes were intended to increase area under the curve (broader torque band), but I also believe the changes they did could possibly support peak numbers around 450HP, but probably not much more than that (until DI comes around).

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Here is an even more descriptive version of the information on the upgrades...
engine.JPG

Pablo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
YEP. Also note the many references to high rpm operation, such as the stiffer valve springs. This motor is going to rock.

Maybe it was just a marketing ploy, but look at the latest video on the CO thread. Shows the tach spinning to 8000.

Sponsored

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
YEP. Also note the many references to high rpm operation, such as the stiffer valve springs. This motor is going to rock.

Maybe it was just a marketing ploy, but look at the latest video on the CO thread. Shows the tach spinning to 8000.
in that video, im 99.9% sure that the tach is not from the mustang. Looks like some random CG clip.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Okay slick like Grimace sent you a link showing everything that's being done to the 5.0 is already confirmed. I never said anything about RPM. You made a false statement about the internals not being strengthened and I corrected you. Don't worry it's okay to be wrong sometimes that's how you learn.

RTD

Threads
Reaction score
You can't just gloss over the head and cams upgrades and assume they are no big deal. We have no idea to what degree the heads are better than the Boss heads, only that they have higher flow ports with a straighter path and larger valves. And as already mentioned they are actuated by higher lift cams (better combined than both the outgoing Boss and GT's were).

I don't know what your level of knowledge about engines is, but if you've ever dug into one you should know that swapping cylinder heads (or even simply porting them) and cams is one of the single biggest ways to increase power. Even without upgrading cams, flow improvements to the heads can make a very substantial difference.

Btw, I do agree some of the changes were intended to increase area under the curve (broader torque band), but I also believe the changes they did could possibly support peak numbers around 450HP, but probably not much more than that (until DI comes around).
I'm not glossing over anything. Let's not forget despite all the unique changes to the Boss engine (heads, cams, intake, exhaust, etc.) it only picks up 32 hp over the 2011-2012 GT motor and 24 hp over the 2013-2014 GT motor.

When the Boss came out the engineers basically said there was no way to wring any additional hp out of it (under the guidelines of emissions, mileage, warranty, and NVH standards) without going to long tube headers which was cost prohibitive.

When the CJ came out, they couldn't do any better than the Boss heads without an overbored cylinder, because the limitation wasn't head flow it was shrouding.

There's just not a lot of hp lying on the table here to pick up.

RTD

Threads
Reaction score
Okay slick like Grimace sent you a link showing everything that's being done to the 5.0 is already confirmed. I never said anything about RPM. You made a false statement about the internals not being strengthened and I corrected you. Don't worry it's okay to be wrong sometimes that's how you learn.
The pistons are not forged like the Boss. It does not have the bearings used in the Boss. Hell, the Boss even has a special steel pulley for the alternator because the stock GT unit was prone to coming apart at high RPM.

The list of unique engine parts for the Boss is like a full page long, and yes, the 2015 Mustang is going to get a few of them.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos

I don't think it's going to rev as high as the Boss. But the reality is, it doesn't NEED to rev as high to make more power than it does. The Boss doesn't have a 7500 RPM red line because that's the only way they could get more power out of the engine. It revs that high because a higher revving engine typically lends itself better to track use, which the Boss is obviously purpose designed for.

The bottom line is, there's more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to increasing power. It's about putting together the appropriate combination of intake, camshaft lift, duration, valve size, port design, etc., etc. to match the power characteristics needed for the intended application. IMO, assuming that the new GT can't match or exceed the Boss's power because it doesn't have its intake, or because it doesn't rev as high, etc. is bit short sighted.
Sponsored