N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Air bags aside for now, which is it? Hand over hand or push /pull? Personally I do the hand over hand, I feel I have much finer control than push/pull. What about you guys?
Sponsored

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
When I went through Bob Bondurant, it was hand over hand. Still is, for racers. Most actual race cars don't have much more steering anyway, and a street car doesn't require much more loak, ever.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
What's "push/pull" and "hand-over-hand"? Are we talking for general/normal/sane street driving?

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

showbbq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hand over hand for the same reasons the guy with the annoying voice in the video explains. For most driving, I imagine any evasive maneuvers don't require that many turns anyway.

Sponsored

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Skip Barber taught "shuffle-steering" (push/pull) and said that hand over hand was a bad technique for control and consistency.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
If you want your arms to be smashed against your face at however fast the air bag deploys, use hand over hand (not to mention possibly ripping your shoulders out of their sockets. Otherwise, it's wise to keep your arms away from crossing the center of the steering wheel. I use push/pull wherever feasible for airbag reasons.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
If you want your arms to be smashed against your face at however fast the air bag deploys, use hand over hand (not to mention possibly ripping your shoulders out of their sockets. Otherwise, it's wise to keep your arms away from crossing the center of the steering wheel. I use push/pull wherever feasible for airbag reasons.
And IMO, using hand over hand won't put you into a position to have the airbags deploy.

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
I was taught push/pull but back when we used Model T's (lol). However I still use it today and did when I was doing gymkhana. Also I have seen quite a few bad friction burns from airbags (and worse) but I can't see where anyone would drive in constant awareness/defense of air bag deployment. Seems like that in itself would be nerve wracking. To each his own I guess- however you feel you can best control steering input. However you will know instantly as when stuff gets hairy and you don't have time to think, you will revert to whatever it is you use most...

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Wasn't sure which I used, so paid attention driving home today, and I do Both. probably favour push/pull in normal relaxed driving..... I think if I'm driving with both hands on the wheel (10-2), I am more likely to hand over hand, but if I'm 9-3 one or two hands or 8-4, then pretty much push pull. Of course out on the open road it will be 10-2 for sure.

Sponsored

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
Towards hope my friend. Steer toward hope

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
Soooooo no one sticks their middle finger in one of the corners and pushes the wheel around like that?

... asking for a friend with... big hands... lol...

However you will know instantly as when stuff gets hairy and you don't have time to think, you will revert to whatever it is you use most...
This. Normal every day driving - probably hang over hand. Aggressive driving - probably 10 and 2. Lazy driving probably push pull.