Sponsored

Has Anyone Ever Gotten a Warranty Claim Denied for a Tune?

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
Personally, I feel the manufacturer sells a product and warranties it for exactly how they manufactured it.

When I modify a vehicle, I’m paying for the repairs when something breaks.

It’s the risk you take.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Personally, I feel the manufacturer sells a product and warranties it for exactly how they manufactured it.
Which is why failures unrelated to modification should still be covered under warranty.

blackyote_317

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Had a long block replaced at 12k miles due to piston slap. I brought it to the dealer I bought it from in stock trim but they knew it had been tuned previously. I'm really good friends with a couple of their salesmen so maybe they worked a little harder for me to get it done. I don't know. Either way, it was a pain in the ass and I didn't have my car for ~2 months though I'm happy with how it worked out. I drove it for nearly 10k miles stock after that before tuning the new motor just recently. This is my single anecdotal experience. You may or may not be covered if you tune and have an issue. I may or may not be covered if it happens again. Too many factors at play to say for sure but tuning is a risk. My long block replacement was ~$9k that luckily I did not have to pay.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
First thing the dealer asked me when it set a CEL after the first month of ownership was "does it have a tune?" Was nice to be able to say no. If I was to tune it would have to be worth it, a big HP bump, a blower or something. Why deal with the hassle and stress just for a few HP?

Turned out to be an O2 sensor.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
Dealership service departments do earn factory goodwill points that can be used to fix cars that otherwise would not be fixed. I wonder how often that is being used when I hear a guy bragging his tuned Mustang was repaired. Who you know would matter then.

Sponsored

blackyote_317

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Dealership service departments do earn factory goodwill points that can be used to fix cars that otherwise would not be fixed. I wonder how often that is being used when I hear a guy bragging his tuned Mustang was repaired. Who you know would matter then.
I hope I didn't come off as bragging above. I was terrified I wouldn't be covered until they said it was but I knew the risk from the beginning. It was also a common problem that was highly unlikely to be tune related. I was just stating that mine was fixed and it could be they did cash in those points for a me as a friend. Idk.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I believe it's the same way with a modern Dodge ECU and they're just doing some kind of voodoo to flash the car's VIN on the unlocked version. One of the tuning kits has the option to supply an extra ECU, plus tune and you just swap it out.

Ford's system may be more sophisticated, and/or maybe there's some ECU data that's not accessible.
In the last few years of the Charger and Challenger (6.4 hemi ones at least), they store a code when you remove the PCM. The trick used to be to get a new one and swap it, thus no way to detect that the pcm was swapped. Now, the car stores a code somewhere and the dealer can tell if you used a different pcm. Smart mofos.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Fact:
An aftermarket Tune not authorized by Ford and one that is not offered through Ford Performance will void certain aspects of the Ford new car warranty.

To be as crystal clear as possible - the attached is directly from Ford - interpret it as you wish, but pay very close attention to not only how the main body is worded, but also the 3rd bullet in the 1st section, which equates to “tuning”.

Everyone can reference back to the M&M Act, but when reading the attached, Ford’s Legal Team has worded their position in such a way that if a tune exists - you’ve already tampered with the systems, which in effect voids the warranty.

Modifying comes with risks - if you have the pockets to play, you have the pockets to pay IF the mod has crossed the fine lines noted in their warranty provisions.
CED8837A-7EE4-4148-8795-BB3609D524D3.jpeg
5D4EEAD5-A515-4421-884E-B7B50E59B083.jpeg
I want to install to "propane Injection":crackup:

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

However the Federal Trade Commission says this:

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Like many others have said it depends on the dealer.

One of the Ford places here in Houston I spoke to said “we warranty just about everything.” And proceeded to tell me how they had an EB car in there with a laundry list of kids including a tube and they replaced the short block and a few other things. He told me that should I tune it all I’d need to do is reflash to stock and “just don’t leave your tuner in the car so we can see it”

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
However the Federal Trade Commission says this:

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance
Aftermarket made to Ford spec? You're citing a routine maintenance article. Like replacing plugs, oil, brake pads and so on. Ford can't deny warranty for using a different brand coolant or tires for example.

Because an aftermarket part that alters parameters doesn't seem like what the FTC is talking about. Even a tune isn't replacing any part but computer code and that is really the point here. Ford implies a big No to that kind of thing.

We're back to hope that the dealer is kind or be ready to pay up.

4leghorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Someone else said on here if you want to void warranty’s you need to have the money to back it up short block long block etc. I’ve heard the law about how they have to prove said modification caused it , also a mod friendly dealer.
Most dealerships are assholes and if you tune your car there going to blame it on that. They’ll want to find any reason not to honor a warranty. Then they deny you. Bringing up that law is great but now I’m assuming you’ll have to fight a legal battle on your dime to get them to honor your warranty. It’s not worth it if you got your car new w a warranty and your only vehicle. I’d only mod a car w a tune intake headers supercharger if it was a used one for a decent price, and not my daily driver. Nevertheless a lot of people say tunes are more so considered a safe mod. If you don’t care go for it but if your making payments still I’d hold up until your warranty is done. If you’ve got the money to replace an engine or whatever then go for it.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I had cam phasers replaced under warranty @ 5600 miles. Total bill to Ford with rental was almost 2k. Car had been tuned since 125 miles. We done here making uninformed blanket statements...?
Sponsored