Sponsored

Correct dipstick oil level when cold GT 2018

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I wanted a baseline on my Bullitt's oil consumption during and after break-in--manual says should be stable at 3K miles--so I filled it to the top-of-the grid when cold, which put it right at the 'MAX' hole when hot. I think I'm OK.
That's exactly how it should work - I've mentioned it in other "oil checking" threads on how the cold vs hot level has their own marks, even though Ford doesn't mention it in the owner's manual.

The top of the hashed area is full when cold, and the top hole is full when hot. I've verified it on my GT many times. I usualy check the level cold now knowing this info - it's much easier to check cold in the garage. Plus I can use the graduations in the hashed area to scale oil use vs miles. It's one quart over the hashed area when the oil is cold.
Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
What got me is you're supposed to check the oil when the engine's hot, after a 15-min draindown period. I guess I've been checking oil all wrong for the last 50 years or so (maybe the 'hot check' is because a lot of people check oil, tire pressure, etc. at service stations). I wanted a baseline on my Bullitt's oil consumption during and after break-in--manual says should be stable at 3K miles--so I filled it to the top-of-the grid when cold, which put it right at the 'MAX' hole when hot. I think I'm OK. FWIW my '08 Bullitt settled at 1qt/6,000 miles until I traded it in at 135K miles.
I think consistency is more important vs hot or cold.
Topping off/over spec Was not advised where I went to school. Used a few aftermarket pans along the way. Never sweated hash marks..just need to know where your starting from.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
<Rant Mode ON>

While we're (sort of) on the topic: one of my peeves is that there are no more dip 'sticks;' there are dip 'ribbons' or dip 'tapes,' but no more sticks. The problem, for me at least, is that it's harder to get a good, consistent reading, esp. when oil is clean and hot. Because the ribbon has to snake around a couple curves and twists going in and coming out, oil tends to get smeared along the ribbon and it's hard to tell for sure where the level is (the thin, 5W-20 oil doesn't help either). I understand it's the way they have to be as the engine compartment is so full of stuff and the pan is way in the back, but it does make it harder to get a good read on oil consumption. Sometimes, I have to lay the ribbon on a clean, folded paper towel to see what portion of the ribbon deposits oil.

I guess I should just be happy we still have some way to check oil, and aren't stuck with idiot lights or displays (like some BMWs and other cars).

<Rant Mode OFF>

ps. Best I can tell, the 'hot' reading shows about an eighth of an inch higher than the cold reading.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The problem, for me at least, is that it's harder to get a good, consistent reading, esp. when oil is clean and hot.

ps. Best I can tell, the 'hot' reading shows about an eighth of an inch higher than the cold reading.
That's why I always check my oil level when the engine is cold and the car is always in the same parking spot in the garage. It makes for very consistent oil level checks.

This is a photo of the dipstick on my 2015 GT, but I'm betting the Gen3 Coyote works the same. The top line on the hashed area is "Full" with cold oil, and the top hole is "Full" with oil at operating temperature (~200F). I've verified it many times on my GT. It's also 1 qt between the bottom of hashed area to the top of the hashed area ... also verified many times on my GT.

S550 Mustang Dipstick.JPG

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
But the manual says that that top of the hash is the maximum when engine is hot after 15 min cooldown, not when the engine is cold. Why do you say otherwise?

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But the manual says that that top of the hash is the maximum when engine is hot after 15 min cooldown, not when the engine is cold. Why do you say otherwise?
My OM doesn't say that. Check your OM again and please post a screen shot of that page so we can see what exactly it says. I'm betting your dipstick has a hole located above the top of the hashed area just like the photo I posted.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My OM doesn't say that. Check your OM again and please post a screen shot of that page so we can see what exactly it says. I'm betting your dipstick has a hole located above the top of the hashed area just like the photo I posted.
My manual says exactly what post number 20 says in this thread. Now that I look at it more closely, it shows that the maximum while warm is the hole, not the top of the hashed area - my bad. Strange - why even have a hashed area if your not going to mention what it’s for in the manual? I mean, it says the minimum is the bottom of the hashed area, and the max is the hole? Then what is the top of the hashed area for? If you’re right about it being the max while cold, why not mention that in the manual?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My manual says exactly what post number 20 says in this thread. Now that I look at it more closely, it shows that the maximum while warm is the hole, not the top of the hashed area - my bad. Strange - why even have a hashed area if your not going to mention what it’s for in the manual? I mean, it says the minimum is the bottom of the hashed area, and the max is the hole? Then what is the top of the hashed area for? If you’re right about it being the max while cold, why not mention that in the manual?
Good question, but IMO either that info didn't get passed on to the OM writers, or Ford didn't want to confuse people on oil level checking. Do a few hot vs cold oil level checks in the same flat parking spot and verify youself.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
With any car I've ever owned I have always done this:
1. add oil to the filter before installing (enough to fill much of the volume but not so much that it will spill when I spin it on).
2. add the recommended amount, then run the car for a minute or two.
3. wait a few minutes to check the level and add if needed.

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
so i believe-

the manually mentions only checking the level while hot- meaning 15 minutes after engine turned off once it hits running temp- ~200F.
with that said, the holes/dots represent the min and max marks. The hash is not mentioned.

if i were to guess, i would guess like others here, when checking cold, your level would be lower and in the hash zone. So the upper hash mark means full COLD. The lower hash mark means add more when COLD.

I check mine when cold. it's easier and more convenient.

on my 2019 gt on the 1st oil fill- it consistently read in the middle of the hash zones, hot or cold. one was lower than the other- prolly hot was lower in the hash but it's been always in the hash zone which is safe.

i will check it again after the last change and compare cold to hot and report back. I did this once already but i forgot what i found. LOL. I do remember cold VS hot was so close, and in the hash lines, that it seemed to not matter when you check it as long as if you check hot, you wait that 15 minutes to let it settled down!

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so i believe-

the manually mentions only checking the level while hot- meaning 15 minutes after engine turned off once it hits running temp- ~200F.
with that said, the holes/dots represent the min and max marks. The hash is not mentioned.

if i were to guess, i would guess like others here, when checking cold, your level would be lower and in the hash zone. So the upper hash mark means full COLD. The lower hash mark means add more when COLD.
That is correct. On my 2015 I've verified this about 5 times and in every case it was repeatable.

Full cold is the top of the hashed area, and full hot is the top hole. I'm sure it's the same way on the 2018+ Coyote too.

I also check the oil level cold ... it's much easier to see the oil level on the dip stick.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, with 10 qts you will show the oil level right in the middle of the holes on the dipstick when COLD. Once you have brought the engine and oil to operating temp, shut off your car and wait 15 mins, your oil level should be at the top hole on the dipstick.
So I checked the oil this morning after it sat overnight - middle of the hash mark. I just checked it again after driving home 30 min and waiting 15 min - BOTTOM of the hash mark. That seems opposite of what everyone is saying. I'm gonna check it again in a couple hours.

Also, I know this is a stupid question, but ...am I the only one who has trouble knowing which side of the dipstick to use? Seems like one side always has oil smeared up way above the max line, and the other side doesn't but can be harder to see. I've always used the side that isn't smeared real high. Correct?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I checked the oil this morning after it sat overnight - middle of the hash mark. I just checked it again after driving home 30 min and waiting 15 min - BOTTOM of the hash mark. That seems opposite of what everyone is saying. I'm gonna check it again in a couple hours.

Also, I know this is a stupid question, but ...am I the only one who has trouble knowing which side of the dipstick to use? Seems like one side always has oil smeared up way above the max line, and the other side doesn't but can be harder to see. I've always used the side that isn't smeared real high. Correct?
I'm assuming you checked the oil both cold and hot with the car in the same exact parking spot. I always go by the level on the side of the dipstick with the deep hash marks in it. Got to use the same side every time to get consistent levels.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm assuming you checked the oil both cold and hot with the car in the same exact parking spot. I always go by the level on the side of the dipstick with the deep hash marks in it. Got to use the same side every time to get consistent levels.
Yes same parking spot in the garage.

So does the dipstick self-orient when inserted or is it possible to have it flipped 180 degrees? Are you saying the hash mark always ends up in the same position regardless of how the dipstick is rotated when inserted?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes same parking spot in the garage.

So does the dipstick self-orient when inserted or is it possible to have it flipped 180 degrees? Are you saying the hash mark always ends up in the same position regardless of how the dipstick is rotated when inserted?
I put the dipstick back in the same way each time. I use the position of the handle and the side with the hash marks to ensure it's going into the tube the same way each time, then always use the hash marked side to check the level.
Sponsored