Sponsored

I think my car is about to go boom. What should I do before taking it in to Ford?

MrOneShot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 White EcoBoost PP
I was driving my car about a week ago when I heard almost like a loud whoosh of air and my car lose power. At first, I thought I had blown a charge pipe off but I was still making boost so I knew that wasn't it, then I noticed very loud clicking coming from the engine. I babied it back home and haven't done much with it since.

It still starts fine and everything seems good except for a slightly rougher idle when the engine is warm and the loud clicking. I'm expecting the worst and thinking it's going to need a new engine and of course would love to get it repaired under warranty. I have tuned it but am currently on the stock tune, I have an ATM intercooler and the one step colder NGK spark plugs. What I'm wondering is if I should put the stock intercooler and the ford spark plugs back in before taking it to the dealership?

What do you all think?
Sponsored

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
I was driving my car about a week ago when I heard almost like a loud whoosh of air and my car lose power. At first, I thought I had blown a charge pipe off but I was still making boost so I knew that wasn't it, then I noticed very loud clicking coming from the engine. I babied it back home and haven't done much with it since.

It still starts fine and everything seems good except for a slightly rougher idle when the engine is warm and the loud clicking. I'm expecting the worst and thinking it's going to need a new engine and of course would love to get it repaired under warranty. I have tuned it but am currently on the stock tune, I have an ATM intercooler and the one step colder NGK spark plugs. What I'm wondering is if I should put the stock intercooler and the ford spark plugs back in before taking it to the dealership?

What do you all think?
Did you check the charge pipes physically? you might be making boost but maybe its more of a leak. They would be able to tell if you are tuned based of key turns and all that so I wouldn't lie to them if they ask if you are tuned or not. I would take her in and express your concerns and have em check it over. Are you on a pro-tune or the FP Tune? The clicking noise is alarming tho. It might be worth paying for a tow to the dealer.

The Baby Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost
I had a very similar issue to this when my turbo failed (Blade barely touching the housing). It made a metallic ticking noise that followed the RPM and I was positive it was valve train related. Turns out I was wrong.

I've had good luck with dealerships but if they attempt to hang the failure on your parts you'll regret not taking the time to swap them. Nobody will be able to give you a solid answer on this as all dealerships are different. My vote is swap them.

OP
OP

MrOneShot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 White EcoBoost PP
Thanks for the input guys!

Did you check the charge pipes physically? you might be making boost but maybe its more of a leak. They would be able to tell if you are tuned based of key turns and all that so I wouldn't lie to them if they ask if you are tuned or not. I would take her in and express your concerns and have em check it over. Are you on a pro-tune or the FP Tune? The clicking noise is alarming tho. It might be worth paying for a tow to the dealer.
I haven't checked the charge pipes physically but I can later today. I don't think the charge pipes are the issue but that could have been the reason for the whoosh sound I heard.

I was on the cobb stage 1 tune until earlier this year when I put the stock Ford tune back on so if I had to guess I'm at ~150 key turns. I definitely plan on taking it to the dealer I just don't want them to say the intercooler or hell even the spark plugs caused the issue and not do warranty work. I don't have experience with this Ford dealership except for their auto body repair shop which isn't even at the same location as their dealership so everything is up in the air.

I had a very similar issue to this when my turbo failed (Blade barely touching the housing). It made a metallic ticking noise that followed the RPM and I was positive it was valve train related. Turns out I was wrong.

I've had good luck with dealerships but if they attempt to hang the failure on your parts you'll regret not taking the time to swap them. Nobody will be able to give you a solid answer on this as all dealerships are different. My vote is swap them.
Interesting. I didn't think of that. How fast was your ticking noise? If it was from the turbo I would think it would be much faster than something coming from the valve train. I'll try to get a video today but I know the clicking noises are hard to capture.

I'll most likely swap the intercooler out. Like you said, if I don't and they blame it on that I'll regret it.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah if you hear what sounds like a whoosh and whistling air and immediately lose power its most likely a charge pipe. Do not keep driving it without making sure those hoses are on man...

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You’re tuned. It’s too late. The IGN Key Count was reset when you tuned the car. It will reset again when you de-tune it. Unfortunately, that’s a red flag if there is an internal engine problem.

Once you tune it, you’ve already tampered with the vehicle systems (as Ford puts it in their legal wordings).

Not to put a downer in your day, but the aspects of having a tune and trying to dumb it down while at the Dealership isn’t holding much water any more; Ford knows, it’s been publicized on many forums - and they now know that folks are trying to pull a fast one for warranty claims. There’s even a GSB that’s been circulated on this forum as to what Ford checks for and denies in engine repair warranty claims.

No one can beat the IGN Key Count (yet).

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You’re tuned. It’s too late. The IGN Key Count was reset when you tuned the car. It will reset again when you de-tune it. Unfortunately, that’s a red flag if there is an internal engine problem.

Once you tune it, you’ve already tampered with the vehicle systems (as Ford puts it in their legal wordings).

Not to put a downer in your day, but the aspects of having a tune and trying to dumb it down while at the Dealership isn’t holding much water any more; Ford knows, it’s been publicized on many forums - and they now know that folks are trying to pull a fast one for warranty claims. There’s even a GSB that’s been circulated on this forum as to what Ford checks for and denies in engine repair warranty claims.

No one can beat the IGN Key Count (yet).
Lets not discount that this is not an issue just yet.....

OP
OP

MrOneShot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 White EcoBoost PP
I don't think the whoosh I heard was from the charge pipes, they were on very tight. I'm in the process of putting the stock intercooler back on just in case and will take it into Ford later this week. Here's a video of the ticking but it's kind of hard to hear if it's coming from the turbo or not.

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think the whoosh I heard was from the charge pipes, they were on very tight. I'm in the process of putting the stock intercooler back on just in case and will take it into Ford later this week. Here's a video of the ticking but it's kind of hard to hear if it's coming from the turbo or not.
Ok yeah that is not good starting to sound like a head gasket or turbo failure hard to tell not standing in front of it but yeah no bueno....

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Yep it's gone. I've heard that sound before. Same sound on my 2006 v6 that I turbo'd, blew a piston into smithereens. Good luck with the replacement process. U gonna go built or just buy a used replacement?

Sponsored

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
That honestly sounds like a worn high pressure fuel pump tappet. I had very loud ticking in my engine bay similar to that. There was even metal worn off the bottom of the tappet. Dropped in a new one and the engine bay sounded brand new.

The Baby Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost
The ticking noise was quick and followed RPM rev's. It even sounded like it was coming from the head so I was happy when it ended up being the turbo. It still spin fine free hand as well, only when the motor was running would it make the loud ticking noise.

How about this questions. Is the sounds any different during Cold starts vs fully warmed up?

The speed of the sound is very similar to the speed of mine when the turbo was toast. Check to see if it increases with a blip of the throttle. I don't know how much you're willing to do but pulling the turbo isn't a lot of work and may tell you more. How are the basics? Plugs all good? Any weird fluids int he intake track or excessive oil?

It's hard to tell from the video. But that sounds a little deeper in tone than mine. Good luck and keep us updated.

OP
OP

MrOneShot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 White EcoBoost PP
Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates, Ford didn't give me much while they had my car so I didn't update this post and kind of forgot about it.

I got extremely lucky and Ford replaced my engine under warranty! When they first looked at it they pinpointed the noise to cylinder 2 and when they took the valve cover off they found the "cylinder 2 exhaust tappets were not free spinning and sticking in the bore." So they removed the head and found "both exhaust valves were burnt in cylinder 2." I asked if it was from carbon build-up which caused them to get stuck but my rep didn't know and I didn't get to talk to the tech so who knows. They ordered a new head, installed it, started the car up, and the ticking went away but on the test drive after the repair the engine started knocking. They took an oil sample and cut open the oil filter and found metal shavings so the dealership put in a request to Ford and had my engine replaced!

I'm not sure if they felt like they caused the knock since it was fine until the test drive but regardless I'm incredibly lucky and I now have a new engine.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I know you are glad thats over with.
Sponsored