Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
Short journey 3 miles...

Driving along - behind an Audi R8 - country lane, sun shining, all good

Suddenly the R8 swerves to the other side of the road

"WTF?" goes through my head

as a builders hard hat lands just where the R8 was (fell off the lorry in front I guess) and bounces right at my Mustang!

...no alternative but to accelerate to try to run over it as it hit the road - I aimed at it and hit the pedal ... ran over it

crack smash bang ....and I saw it fly out from behind me

the R8 guy stopped (in shock I think) and so did I - we checked over both cars and they seemed o be unscathed

dead lucky I reckon

of all the things to hit your car -

a hard hat is not one I would choose!
Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Count yourself lucky! I hit a suicidal pheasant doing 70mph on the motorway. Not much time to think there so all I could do was move half a lane over. Big thud, and a small crack on the corner of the bumper!

Be surprised if the pheasant made it. Good way to go though :cwl:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I had a HUGE piece of glass 6x3 foot minimum fall off a truck right in front of me on a freeway going 65 MPH. Cars on both sides of me and close behind me. Was already thinking about what color to order for my replacement Mustang. But it shattered into a million very small pieces when it hit the pavement. I could hear them bouncing against the bottom of the car. Not a scratch, dent, etc anywhere.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
haha i had a bird drop a nut from height on my windscreen the other week while doing some "sensible in dave world speed" down the motorway. I now have 3 little chips out of the windscreen square in the middle.

*I assume it was a bird I was the only person on the motorway at the time nothing for miles

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.
Tyre, lane 3, M42, 85ish. Dam a Focus ST has good handling. I'm glad it had leather seats as some poo came out.

Sponsored

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
Many run ins over the years.

1) years and years ago, D/C, over loaded skip lorry with no net on, dropped lots of wood, plaster board, general rubble detritus. Avoided it in my 1.3 pushrod Fiesta (first car) at the time. No damage but lots of sideways crossed arms action (no ANS or DSC)

2) same D/C as above, pheasant, hit the corner of the 4x4 and when I say corner, it was one steel panel with a 90 degree corner in X, Y & Z planes. It couldnā€™t have been a harder part to hit on the front of the car. The pheasant hit it so hard the corner was completely inverted.

3) another pheasant, this time in Scotland, car in front hit the bird and the first I saw was it appearing out the back end of the lead car literally walking round in small circles. It was seeing stars, going round and round on the spot just like a cartoon. Hit the bottom of our car and that finished it off. No damage.

4) pigeon flew into the aerial on the van. Not normally an issue but it seemed to explode into a mass of feathers covering the whole road visibility half way round the corner and I was following in the car behind. Not fun at first.

5) rabbit, stood on the brakes (no ABS!) I went one way and he went the same, I changed amd changed again and again and he did too. Only damage was I had furry wheel arch liners after all that

6) big strip of wood on the M6 in the dark, fell off the back of a truck and bounced into the middle and outside lane (it was huge!). Hit it across the axle as did many other cars until the highways agency pitched up two hours later and removed it

8) brand new car, on the journey home from the dealer, driver in an Audi coming the other way on the phone (could see it in his hand), distracted and came over the white line and onto my side of the road. I moved as far into the kerb as I could on the horn and lights but he kept coming over. The stones and debris he threw up from the central ā€˜no mans landā€™ peppered stone chips across the front of the car and knackered the windscreen. Thankfully he decided to look up at the 11th hour and swerved just before a head on collision so that was the ā€˜onlyā€™ damage done.

8) joined the motorway directly behind a cement lorry dropping its dusty load in the road. Clay bar and polishing to get it off the paintwork with further work required to get it off the textured black plastic trim

I suppose you get to see a lot over the decades and doing 30,000+ miles a year.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Worst i had was pulling an emergency stop on a kid who literally jumped out of a pram on the side of a 40 road. In a toyota yaris.

I'm glad the hard hat didn't rape your car, because if that hit, oooft fuck me it would have made some damage!

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
I had a dog run into my Mustang. That was scary as I was going around 40mph and I thought I had killed the dog. It ran off before I could stop and get out but I still wonder to this day if it was OK, could easily have been badly hurt. There wasn't any damage to my car thankfully, so I think it was just a glancing blow. Heck of a shock though.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
A wheel came off a trailer 50 yards ahead of me crossing the Forth Road Bridge a couple of years ago. Fortunately it didn't hit anything. Got it on dashcam footage but its too big to upload.

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
When i lived in constable country,i pheasant flew out of some bushes and hit my windscreen.I over reacted and swerved, hit a telegraph pole which broke and came down on top of my van.I was lucky.
Sponsored