Sponsored

Do your back windows not close all the way?

rcengr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
17 Grabber Blue EB Convertible, 2023 Colorado Z71
I had this problem about 9 months after I got my car. I had mine repaired under warranty, but as my dealership doesn't see many convertibles it took them 4 days to figure it out. Below is my service write-up, hopefully it will help others work with their dealership.

Of course it wasn't a permanent repair and started to do again 6 months later. Not wanting to take it to the dealership constantly, I tried re-calibrating the window myself. After some trial and error, here's what worked for me:
- start with the top closed, the front windows down and the back windows up
- lower the back windows and hold the button down for the count of 10 once they are all the way down
- raise the back windows and manually move the window closed, hold the button for another count of 10

Once I did this, the window would close all the way again. I think it was just a matter of getting the window in the right position while it re-calibrated the end locations. Since I've never seen this written up anywhere, I'm curious if it works for anyone else.

I have found the calibration lasts longer if I always roll up the back windows first and keep the seals clean and lubricated.

Top Repair.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
Good info! I'll have to try that. I checked out 4 other convertibles Thursday. They were 2017-'18 models. The windows got stuck on 3 of the 4. That was with closing the rear window first. This was the worst gap. I tried reclosing it a few times before taking this picture a

IMG_8428.jpg

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
IMG_8428.jpg
[/QUOTE]
It IS more difficult to fully close the window in cold weather when the seals are less compliant.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
It IS more difficult to fully close the window in cold weather when the seals are less compliant.[/QUOTE]

Thatā€™s a good info. My car is a summer cruiser and I sprayed mine last spring. All has been good since. But I havenā€™t driven it this year yet.

Maybe we are looking at the issue the wrong way. It seems we are thinking the issue is with the window. Maybe the issue is with the roof trim.......or just a design flaw that can be masked with a recalibration or a little spray. :question:

Either way, if I can solve it with a little silicone spray, I am good.:like:

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
Good points, Fordever!
Our top -a totally new design for 2015 is manufactured by a vendor working to Ford specs. I suspect that you are right that the glitch is NOT with the quarter window but with the gasket in the top itself. After all the window raises completely when the top is down with no hang-up whatsoever.
Anyway Iā€™m retiring to the Mexican desert in a few months and my roof may never go up!

Sponsored

Ghost3366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
Hello,

When I first bought my car 7 or so months ago the right hand window did the same thing. I did learn from others and the dealership the rear windows should be closed first then the fronts. I also had both windows replaced. They replaced the glass, flashing/seal, and regulator, they have worked good since. Time will tell if it comes back.

Lahmian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang EcoBoost
im new to Mustangs and i also had this issue! i took it to the dealer and they greased up the the rungs in the roof to get the widnow to close properly, however.. i cant see this being a good perma fix.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
My passenger rear has been sticking, same thing, basically just excessive resistance from the rubber seal on the roof stops the motor (for safety). I picked up a can of silicone spray lube from ACE, gave all the rubber a good coat, it dried, tried the top/window, works terrific, runs up all the way, closes tight.

Nice fix for $5, and the rubber looks much better now too.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
I had this when my roof was replaced, the dealer lubricated the seal. Now I know how to do it out of warranty Iā€™ll do it myself as I donā€™t trust Ford to get it right.

Put it this way, Iā€™d rather 5 minutes maintenance than 1) my car being dented yet again by a Ford ā€˜techā€™ fiddling with the roof, 2) a leaky roof from a redesigned or replaced part, 3) paying for something I can do myself to a better standard.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I had this when my roof was replaced, the dealer lubricated the seal. Now I know how to do it out of warranty Iā€™ll do it myself as I donā€™t trust Ford to get it right.

Put it this way, Iā€™d rather 5 minutes maintenance than 1) my car being dented yet again by a Ford ā€˜techā€™ fiddling with the roof, 2) a leaky roof from a redesigned or replaced part, 3) paying for something I can do myself to a better standard.
Yep...ā€¦ā€¦. getting windows readjusted and replaced is kinda excessive for me and taking a chance on more issues or damage, when all I need to do is spray the upper rear tracks/channels with a little silicone spray.:like:

I also think using the spray from time to time will probably feel them from drying and cracking. In any event, lubricating these channels should have no negative effects.:)

Sponsored

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
I think the only negative effect would be excess lubricant on the glass!

Yep...ā€¦ā€¦. getting windows readjusted and replaced is kinda excessive for me and taking a chance on more issues or damage, when all I need to do is spray the upper rear tracks/channels with a little silicone spray.:like:

I also think using the spray from time to time will probably feel them from drying and cracking. In any event, lubricating these channels should have no negative effects.:)

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I think the only negative effect would be excess lubricant on the glass!

The only contact is with the upper edge of the glass, and the silicone pretty much dries, so there's not excess that gets everywhere - think of it more like a treatment like you'd put on leather vs. an oil sort of lubricant.

Indylatenight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Mine did this and a quick trip into the dealer. They adjusted something and all was well. Still working fine over a year later and it was all covered by warranty.

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
Window.jpg

Mine are sticking more now. This picture was taken today. I usually pull them into place but I shouldn't have to. I guess it's time to break out the lube. I rather take care of them myself over letting the dealer do it unless something needs to be replaced.
Sponsored