2020 GT500 Governed Top Speed of 180MPH

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
If they didn't want the 500 to go that fast, why bother with the hood pins? ;)
Sponsored

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Because the GT350 is power/aero limited to that speed not artificially limited to it. It would be wise for Ford to better explain why 180MPH other than because downforce or we didn't want the base car to be faster.

For instance on my Z06 as you go through the different stages of aero the top speed gets slower but GM didn't just slap a limiter on the stage one Z06 because the Z07 package has a slower top speed.
I know this.
But don’t forget the Gt350R has a lower top speed then a GT350. As you said, the aero and also the taller tires.
So to say the lesser model shouldn’t be top end faster isn’t the reason why the carbon 500 is 180 mph limited.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I could see price bit if they went TT. but not this car.

It was always going to be priced a bit higher than the ZL1, because you are getting such a better car.

But I have a feeling it has more to do with performance. Specifically acceleration. So agreed there. I think they have recalibrated the gearing to punch up the quickness. That little bit About killing demons has gone viral. it’s a huge deal and the reputation of the car would suffer if it didn’t at least compare facvorably with the demon.

Since most of the Public just reads an advertised spec, they aren’t aware that you have to put Dodge’s glue on the tires, load a new tune, add race track skinnies on the front To go with the drag radials on the back in order to get the advertised speeds.

You can’t drive it home that way... at least not legally.

but it doesn’t matter. That’s what sticks with people - the advertised numbers.

so the GT500 has to outperform whatever the original intent was. Top speed is such a crazy thing on so many cars. Some super cars don’t have the top speed the rest of their performance would seem to indicate. If there was something they could cut corners on to bolster everything else, it would be the top speed.
I like your theory. And hope that’s the reason for the limit.

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
I like your theory. And hope that’s the reason for the limit.
I'm dreaming here a little bit. What if the 180 limit is to just get people going, then FORD comes out with a 210mph or faster KR version!! That would really set the class on fire!:crackup:

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Do you read what was said? I see that you don't. I never said anyone was an asshole for driving fast. :lipssealed:
I apologize SVTSNAKE, I miss copied. You were not the one that said "asshole". It was....

Yeah, and if he falls, he probably won't kill a family in a mini van headed for Disney who had pulled over on the side of the road to sort out directions ... sorry dude, that's a bit false equivalency. On a track, in controlled environment, with everyone around you aware of the potential danger - maybe - on the toll road down to Orlando doing 170+ because you think it's "deserted" at 3am - that's being an asshole.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Have the gear ratios for the transmission and rear end been released? Do we know the tire sizes and engine redline?

If you knew those numbers you can calculate a pretty accurate top speed based on gearing, which might be what the limit is for the GT500 as it is for the GT350.

-T

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Have the gear ratios for the transmission and rear end been released? Do we know the tire sizes and engine redline?

If you knew those numbers you can calculate a pretty accurate top speed based on gearing, which might be what the limit is for the GT500 as it is for the GT350.

-T
rear gear and tire sizes are out, with redline. tremec has 2 basic gear sets available. Ive done the math for both and feel 1 set is way more accurate so far ( given video release of 1st gear mph max)

A1.JPG
A2.JPG

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
rear gear and tire sizes are out, with redline. tremec has 2 basic gear sets available. Ive done the math for both and feel 1 set is way more accurate so far ( given video release of 1st gear mph max)

A1.JPG
A2.JPG
The redline is 7400. Can you adjust for that?

Same cluster as the mustang GT.

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
The redline is 7400. Can you adjust for that?

Same cluster as the mustang GT.
can you cite that, everything ive seen says 7500
but it may make more sense in the end to account for the mph on gear change

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
can you cite that, everything ive seen says 7500
but it may make more sense in the end to account for the mph on gear change
Just take a look at any cluster shot.

Automobile mag:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYAeTQGbWff194tn6SSHtEAtmG4uaQaLCYEjfpooo5cXmKXkVl

It’s funny, every piece of info I’ve given you always ask me to cite it. Not everyone is clueless.

Most magazines get it wrong, the new coyote third gen is also 7400rpm.

And a fun fact, the third gen coyote is only 7000rpm in Canada. Weird huh?

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Just take a look at any cluster shot.

Automobile mag:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYAeTQGbWff194tn6SSHtEAtmG4uaQaLCYEjfpooo5cXmKXkVl

It’s funny, every piece of info I’ve given you always ask me to cite it. Not everyone is clueless.

Most magazines get it wrong, the new coyote third gen is also 7400rpm.

And a fun fact, the third gen coyote is only 7000rpm in Canada. Weird huh?
Because i dont dismisss new information, but challenge it for verification when recieved. i believe you, or I, am misinterpreting "redline" with RPM limit. Yes, i see the 1st "red" "line" at 7400, but that does not mean that is where it will/can be shifted at. Hence at 7500, it has the broken "red line" as its shift point. which is what the calculator is really asking for

redline.JPG

Additionally, i KNOW ive seen it in text as 7500 on/from more than 1 source

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Because i dont dismisss new information, but challenge it for verification when recieved. i believe you, or I, am misinterpreting "redline" with RPM limit. Yes, i see the 1st "red" "line" at 7400, but that does not mean that is where it will/can be shifted at. Hence at 7500, it has the broken "red line" as its shift point. which is what the calculator is really asking for

redline.JPG

Additionally, i KNOW ive seen it in text as 7500 on/from more than 1 source
Because they’re confusing the misinformation spread from the gen three coyote which is actually 7400 but people think 7500.

Also, you realize digital or anolog gauges can’t keep up to these acceleration and powe figures. It probably shifted at 72-7300 and it read 7500. My GTR use to shift at “7000” but it was actually 6800 because of the needle sweep reaction rate. Same thing here.