SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
The fact is that our electrical grid can't handle even 5% pure EVs, so that's a real concern.
LOL.

Who told you that? Our grid can handle EV saturation over 20% w/out upgrades, and it will take a long time for us to get there. And that is not taking into consideration the potential for EVs to "give back" to the grid.

Americas "grid" wasn't up to par for a LOT of things in our history -- refrigerators/freezers, TVs, computers, kids sitting inside all day consuming power, etc., but we innovated and advanced. Using current state as an arguement against future state is not only wrong, it's dangerous.

I really don't think the CEO has a clue what he's doing.
I do agree with this. He is very short term minded, however possesses no REAL short term strategy. Long term, he is going to get bit in the ass when gas prices go back up and the company has no small, efficient, ICE vehicles.
Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
The problem I have with all the hybrid/E e-vehicles is that manufacturer wide support AND installation of world/nation wide charging stations have not been done. This seems to be counter intuitive to electric vehicles in general. As well, I watched a ST episode recently where Matt Farah could not find a charging station for a Jag E-pace he was driving, and the one he did find charged him $35 for 72 miles of charge. I fail to see the cost benefits at the present time justifying any electric vehicle. Tons of cars are nearly zero emissions as it is, its costlier and worse on the environment to dispose and create batteries, and you cannot use electricity to generate electricity so Oil, Nuclear, and other conventional means are still needed just to charge the vehicles.
How dare you use logic and common sense when it comes to EV's.

The day electric takes over everything is the day I am done with doing anything to cars in general the excitement will be gone, probably by then automation will be taking over anyway. We really should get off the ground and look to the skies.

Sponsored

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
I was very interested in seeing the the new EV vehicle and learning about the specs (AWD?, seating for 4 or 5?) until they revealed it will be built in Mexico.
No Bueno!
I would now rather look at the Ranger as an option for a more practical vehicle when it snows or I need to transport more than 2 people.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
LOL.

Who told you that? Our grid can handle EV saturation over 20% w/out upgrades, and it will take a long time for us to get there. And that is not taking into consideration the potential for EVs to "give back" to the grid.

Americas "grid" wasn't up to par for a LOT of things in our history -- refrigerators/freezers, TVs, computers, kids sitting inside all day consuming power, etc., but we innovated and advanced. Using current state as an arguement against future state is not only wrong, it's dangerous.
Refrigerators, freezers, TVs, computers, etc. all use 110, minimal energy. And those hurdles were over-come back when this country had a surplus supply of both electrical energy, and the ability to distribute it. Decades ago.

I don't know how old you are, but since 9/11 the fact that our electrical grid is outdated and maxed-out has been hammered home repeatedly. If you want to claim our grid can handle 20% EV usage, link to a study that shows that.

The last I heard, our grid can handle about 5% EV usage, and that's it. If that's correct, or even if it's somewhere in between 5% and 20% (call it 12%), EVs are not our future. Add in that the EPA refuses to allow the construction of new nuclear and coal-fired plants, and where does that leave us? The US in a net electrical power importer, we buy from Canada, to meet the demand our electrical production can't.

And where would the EV market be without our damn tax-payer dollars paying for it? If EVs made their way into the market place through good old fashioned capitalism and free-market, that would be fine. But they've been shoved down our throats through tax-payer funded billions (if not trillions) to Musk and the other EV snake-oil purveyors. And it's not just the cars that are sold with our money paying for it, there's also the home solar-energy panel systems and home-charging stations many folks get for 0 or little cost, by digging into the pockets of the rest of this country's tax-payers.

Have you noticed what's been happening at Tesla recently? Most of the showrooms closing, prices going down, then back up....production delays....Musk's behavior that's gotten weirder and weirder?

I think it's no coincidence that all that has started just at the moment the tax-payer dollars stopped flowing into Musk's pockets.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Have you noticed what's been happening at Tesla recently? Most of the showrooms closing, prices going down, then back up....production delays....Musk's behavior that's gotten weirder and weirder?
Musk has been exposed to a slow poison by an agent of big oil interests to slowly drive him insane. I swear it's true, I'm sure I read it on the internet somewhere.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to claim our grid can handle 20% EV usage, link to a study that shows that.
Peak power usage is during the day when business and industries are powering big equipment, plus peak aircon and such.

If most EVs are charged at night, then it wont even hit the current daytime peak power loads.
Sponsored