Sponsored

CEL After Dead Battery

XCRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
So I was stupid and did not use a trickle charger or take the battery out before storing the Mustang for the winter. Last week I was able to charge the battery enough to start it and I drove the car around for an hour. When I get home I shut the engine off and go to start ot right away and the relay just starts clicking and get a check engine message on the dash. So the battery was dead and I was just running on the altenator.

So I get a new battery from Oreilys and starts up but I have a CEL. I go to Oreilys again to see what it is. I assumed it was something to do with low voltage. But the wierd thing it was the code for the crank position sensor of all things. I got it reset and it has not came up again, but has anyone had that code come up with a bad battery?
Sponsored

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
Dead batteries can cause the CEL light. When I forget to put my motorcycle on the tender and the battery goes flat, I charge it and start it, it will also have a CEL light. It will eventually go out after it sees all the drive cycles it needs to clear itself. Same thing for cars. Computer is going nuts since the battery is pulling all the amps to recharge and the computer is trying to do the same.

OP
OP

XCRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Dead batteries can cause the CEL light. When I forget to put my motorcycle on the tender and the battery goes flat, I charge it and start it, it will also have a CEL light. It will eventually go out after it sees all the drive cycles it needs to clear itself. Same thing for cars. Computer is going nuts since the battery is pulling all the amps to recharge and the computer is trying to do the same.
I got it erased and you are right they all give CELs with dead batteries, but a crank positioner code seems like really odd reason to get a CEL from battery related issues.

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I'm willing to bet it was a false positive. It may have sensed a low voltage or a spike or just a basic glitch because of the battery. I'm helping a friend with a suburban and its sat for a bit and the battery was weak. Its thrown a MAP sensor code, cleared it, then a TPS code.
Sponsored