Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

etbiru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
This looks legit. Who posted this TSB?
It took Ford until 12 Feb 2019 to issue this TSB.
Sponsored

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT delivered 8 May 17
This looks legit. Who posted this TSB?
It took Ford until 12 Feb 2019 to issue this TSB.
I managed to download it. Took it to the Service folks at Mitchell here in Canberra today with my original window sticker. I didn't get any particular feedback on it when the car was returned from Service. I'll chase them up tomorrow and post on here.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Booked my 3 year/45000km service today to be conducted on the day before my factory warranty expires.

Requested that it be recorded in the notes that the oil cooler be inspected.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hey Drew did you email them about what they'd do if it fails two days later?

Sponsored

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Drew did you email them about what they'd do if it fails two days later?
I haven't yet.

Even if I got a reply, I imagine it would just be Ford-speak

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Seeing as my car is now magically in scope of the tsb, having previously been out of scope I shall be getting the Harrop oil cooler installed before the warranty expires. Having reviewed all the oil cooler solutions I think the Harrop is probably the best option in terms of the block having the thermostat built in, the cooler is mounted low down so should prevent air blocks during oil changes etc.

kaiser_sosai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I managed to download it. Took it to the Service folks at Mitchell here in Canberra today with my original window sticker. I didn't get any particular feedback on it when the car was returned from Service. I'll chase them up tomorrow and post on here.
Hey Bagration. Also in Canberra trying to decide between a 2017 demo or whether I should look at 2018+ models only. I was unable to access the TSB PDF file, since you managed to download it, is it possible you can make it available on dropbox or even just copy the text content in a new reply here?
I can't seem to find that new TSB anywhere else.

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT delivered 8 May 17
Hey Bagration. Also in Canberra trying to decide between a 2017 demo or whether I should look at 2018+ models only. I was unable to access the TSB PDF file, since you managed to download it, is it possible you can make it available on dropbox or even just copy the text content in a new reply here?
PM sent

etbiru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
18+ will give u the bbq tick

Sponsored

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, 2016 Mustang GT 2019 Bullitt
I’m Also in Canberra.
I have a 2016 which got the issue had engine replaced and KPM Oil cooler added 2 hours after I received the car back from Mitchell Ford.

I have a 2018 Bullitt no tick yet.
But in saying that I will be removing the oil cooler from the Bullitt cause I don’t trust it and don’t want the headache knowing it might go at anytime.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi stang_86 who did the oil cooler for you? Was the KPM a conscious choice over others like Harrop?

Are you removing the oil cooler on the Bullitt or it replacing it, I'm assuming the latter? There's an argument to suggest our cars don't need one if street driven, Streetfighter has gone quiet on a kit that removed the whole cooler contraption but I suspect most folks wouldn't be comfortable with that.

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, 2016 Mustang GT 2019 Bullitt
Hi stang_86 who did the oil cooler for you? Was the KPM a conscious choice over others like Harrop?

Are you removing the oil cooler on the Bullitt or it replacing it, I'm assuming the latter? There's an argument to suggest our cars don't need one if street driven, Streetfighter has gone quiet on a kit that removed the whole cooler contraption but I suspect most folks wouldn't be comfortable with that.

Hi GT550,

At the time I was wanting a kit no one at the time had one on the market.
I would have been in the top 5 people in Aus to receive the Street fighter kit.

When I was looking I called multiple workshops Harrop being one of them who were still in development stage.

So for me wanting something now so KPM to the rescue.

For the Bullitt it’s replacement better safe than sorry.

My car was street driven when it let go in my 16 had 24k on clock from memory.

The ironic thing is I dropped the kit off at the workshop and on my way back home boom the cooler let go was not happy and was at the end of the year in 2017 so was a long time before I got my car back.

On a side note my car at the time had the following Mods
X-force full exhaust
CAI
Tune

When I got the car back booked into the workshop to remove the crap oil cooler plus tune again cause I had misfire on all 8 cylinders once tune done perfect.

For me this is a must have replaced item personally I don’t want to have the milkshake that brings all the boys to the yard was a horrible site.

And would rather have leaking oil if it ever happens rather than coolant/Oil mixing = engine replacement if your lucky or flush out.

etbiru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I dont know if adding cooler to a car with no problem is a good idea. Its like fixing something that is not broken. The more things you add the more piping and parts are added. It would just be additional point of failure in the future such as hoses, clamps etc.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
I dont know if adding cooler to a car with no problem is a good idea. Its like fixing something that is not broken. The more things you add the more piping and parts are added. It would just be additional point of failure in the future such as hoses, clamps etc.
The problem is, this issue goes from working perfectly to catastrophic failure with no warning.

Also reasonable number of failure points also removed.

I'm having KPM replace mine this Wednesday. Call me paranoid but I haven't driven the car since warrantee ran out two weeks ago. :blush:
Sponsored