Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
There is a reason why this generation is among the worse selling in the history of the Mustang.
First of all, wrong, but second: OK Mr. Correlation. Causation, no. The market is different, has changed. You act like the buyer of pony cars today is the same as it was 30+ years ago.

Your supposed cause is false. Plain and simple. Go buy a Fing Camaro. Oh wait. What cars both have V8s with more displacement and sell worse? Camaro, Challenger.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
First of all, wrong, but second: OK Mr. Correlation. Causation, no. The market is different, has changed. You act like the buyer of pony cars today is the same as it was 30+ years ago.

Your supposed cause is false. Plain and simple. Go buy a Fing Camaro. Oh wait. What cars both have V8s with more displacement and sell worse? Camaro, Challenger.

Personally I can’t see an aluminium block because it’s too expensive to set up for production, but I do think Ford will offer a crate motor. This is just a feeling of mine so no sources, but from the interviews - they seemed from the get go - to acknowledge its use in the aftermarket, specifically naming the Mustang. I don't agree with a certain youtube star that it was to add pizzazz to the news release of the motor. If they had no possibility of offering a crate motor they would never have mentioned the engine and the Mustang at all.

They are also dragging their feet with specs which could just be normal, but they wouldn’t even give hotrod.com some valve dimension numbers. Me thinks there maybe a crate motor in the works with some minor changes for the old school guys.

Those are my thoughts - unsubstantiated as they may be...

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The reverse was true for the GT. They hyped up that car so much the real thing failed to live up to the expectations when you pressed the accelerator for the first time. I really expected neck snapping acceleration and didn’t get it. I’m sure I’m not the only one and dynongraphs have nothing to do with it.
When I test drove my GT I drove it pretty hard, and accelerated it up over 100 MPH a couple of times with the salesman on board. When we got back to the dealership he thanked me for a great test drive. Said he hadn't had that much fun on a test ride for a long time.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
When I test drove my GT I drove it pretty hard, and accelerated it up over 100 MPH a couple of times with the salesman on board. When we got back to the dealership he thanked me for a great test drive. Said he hadn't had that much fun on a test ride for a long time.

I was sold on the car and tried to buy one but lucked out.

I was already sold on the car after the test drive. Nobody in their right mind is going to get rid of a new V6 and upgrade to the GT and not take it for a spin. But I’m virtually 60 and wanted a daily driver and drove it the way I normally did and that was the way it went down. I did expect more torque down low but that was an expectation and nothing more.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
In other words the camp that says the swap is almost impossible is wrong and the camp that wants this motor to be the basis for the next generation are probably wrong. The reality is getting something in between.

Maybe during the interviews some things were said off the record and so only hinted in the news release. The possibility of a crate motor would be consistent with what we have seen so far. Not saying this is definitive, I’m just saying the door is still open on that possibility...

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Ford needs to offer the 7.3 as the Anti Tech package.
Stripper interior.
Brake rotors that allow for 15 inch rims.
10 speed auto.
6 speed Tremec

This Mustang would sell like crazy.
Just ask any drag racer.
I’m with @jake_zx2 on this....The challenger r/t scat pack with 1320 drag package sounds similar to what y’all are describing....how are those selling? I honestly think they would sell a handful, but the market has basically been drifting away from motorsports in general.

Last edited:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
What you are really doing here is trying to control thought into a form you have some competence in. In this way you have a measure of control. Keeping things to technicality, to science, logic, reason. If I come up with more visceral reasons they are not even addressed. You pick parts out of my posts and expect me to address those ...
Sooo the funny thing here is that I NEVER doubted your visceral and emotional reasoning for wanting the 7.3, which is why I never address those points you make. Doubting the way someone feels would be absurd. Just as absurd as someone who uses technical reasons to justify doing something they feel would be cool. You'll lose every time. This is what you've done. For instance, you feel as though the 5.0 is already "max'd out" but the facts say otherwise. I've repeatedly (3 times, I believe) stated that I will only address the technical aspects of your argument, because it's futile to argue how you feel. When you state things like, "this swap...now more and more it looking possible". Most people would say that after learning that, say, Ford has announced they will release a crate engine, control pack, and motor mounts. However, it was really just a feeling that it was more possible based on, well, nothing, which means it really isn't more possible because nothing has changed that would make it more possible except your feelings.

I know you like to think that I am 100% logic. However, why would anyone who is 100% logical even buy a Mustang, let alone give it 850 hp? The truth is, there is not logical or technical reason to do so, yet here I am. I will argue the technical aspects of my choice of car and supercharger kit all day long. However, I WILL NOT argue that there is a technical reason for buying a Mustang and adding a supercharger because there is none.

As I said before, where you go off the rails is when you try to justify this project using technical reasons, when your actual reasons are not technical and you are ill-equipped to argue the technical side of this. And, like it or not, getting the engine into the car and working properly is a 100% technical venture even if the reasons for doing so are 100% emotional.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
In other words the camp that says the swap is almost impossible is wrong and the camp that wants this motor to be the basis for the next generation are probably wrong. The reality is getting something in between. The possibility of a crate motor would be consistent with what we have seen so far. Not saying this is definitive, I’m just saying the door is still open on that possibility...
Literally no one has said that the swap is impossible or that Ford won't sell it as a crate motor. In fact, I think there's a pretty good chance they will sell it as a crate motor. I just believe that it will be difficult and expensive, and that no one will do the work required to do this if it makes less power than the 5.0, and if it makes more power than the 5.0 then it won't be a low-end torque monster you think it will be.

I also think that if you want a big, pushrod, EFI v8, it would be way easier to jump ship and buy a Challenger R/T Scat Pack and then get beat by stock Mustang GT's.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
There is a reason why this generation is among the worse selling in the history of the Mustang.

They abandoned their fan base.

Other forums back me and Fatguy 100%

The Chevy camp over at Yellow Bullet even agree.

The Mustang needs to return to it's roots.
The 7.3 is how it could get there...
@BmacIL was right. The Mustang is outselling the larger displacement pushrod competitors. Ford can't help it that all sport coupe sales have drifted down over the last few decades. Why would Ford copy the lesser selling competitors???

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now we bring in Freudian physiological analysis vs engineering logic analysis for why people do what they do with cars. What other avenue can this thread go down? ... LOL.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think the moderators keep it open out of sheer, morbid curiosity.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I think the moderators keep it open out of sheer, morbid curiosity.
More like pent up desire for some displacement.

Don't worry Bmacil, I won't hurt a S550.
I have my eyes on a all black '05 GT with very low miles and garage kept.

Friends with all my local salvage yards......I've got dibs on the first 7.3 found.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang

Camaro doesn't sell because of style and blind spots.
Go over to Yellow Bullet, those chevy guys will shoot you straight.

Almost everything at a drag strip is ls powered.
Same for drifting.
Same for road courses.

Would be nice to see Ford get some of that action.

But you can say I'm wrong.
We both know that I'm not......

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
People act like something sacred is being violated.

I'm not say end DOHC V-8 production in the Mustang.

I'm saying that it's time to finally step away from the Mod Motor platform with a new design.

Also offering the 7.3 would be a really cool thing to do.

Every Mustang since 2015 has been touted as a track car for it's respected price range.

It's time for you road course guys to share.

The Cobra Jet program has been kicking tail and should be on the home page of this forum.

Mustangs have been kicking tail in NASCAR.

Mustangs have been kicking tail in Australian Super Cars.

Two of the three use push rod engines.
Australia uses a Windsor based engine.
Nascar uses the FR9.
Sponsored