Sponsored

To downpipe or not downpipe ?

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
I recently replaced the FP calibration with Cobb. I have the required parts for Stage 2 (see below and confirmed with Cobb) and enjoying. Much more responsive than FP. Now as i cant leave well enough alone i am thinking about catted downpipe. Cobb also said ok for Stage 3 if i add downpipe. I had reached out to PD and tune+ and both told me i wouldnt see significant gains in adding DP. I am wondering if i should just stand down and enjoy what i have or spend the $600 (parts/labor) and give the DP a try and see if in fact makes difference. Thoughts welcome..
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
My understanding is that the peak gains is not much but where it really helps is the top end. Hopefully someone can post a dyno sheet

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I believe the DP is the most restrictive part of the exhaust. I went with the 3" MBRP catted DP and kept the rest of the exhaust stock.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Seems with stock turbo it is not very clear, some claim downpipe is restriction, other claim resonator because of smaller inlet pipe (not design) from what I can tell if you are running a stock turbo that most people are doing downpipe upgrade for sound. The same with resonator delete.

If you use catless then you are creating more issues, smell, smoke, codes. Then not passing some state inspections.
Without a 3" pipe from front to back you may not be gaining much unless you go with larger turbo..

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
3" back to the Y, from there you could probably go 2.5 or even 2.25".

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
3" back to the Y, from there you could probably go 2.5 or even 2.25".
That's the way the newest Cobb exhaust is set up. Sounds good in the video clips. I'm thinking about getting it this summer.
Sponsored