Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
If you're looking to buy now, just do it and enjoy it.

The '23MY is over 3 years away. That being said there might...........might be a refresh for the '21MY, but we know as much about that as we do the '23MY :crazy:

ford-mustang-hybrid-possible-test-mule.jpg
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking to buy a brand new Mustang GT in the next 1 or 2 months. But with the news of the 7th generation Mustang coming out in 2022, I would like to see what it would be but waiting until 2022 at this point seems like quite a while to wait to get into a Mustang. Would it be worth waiting until early 2022 to buy the 7th generation Mustang? Or just enjoy the current Mustang?
If you like your current car, I'd just wait. New design, new platform (hopefully), hopefully lighter weight, hopefully performance oriented hybrid implementation, maybe the DCT comes as an option too. Based on the current rate, I'd say it'll be something close to 500hp unless they keep it as the Gen 3 for the first two years.

If you want a Mustang now, just jump on in and enjoy it.

1st Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
But with the news of the 7th generation Mustang coming out in 2022, I would like to see what it would be but waiting until 2022 at this point seems like quite a while to wait to get into a Mustang. Would it be worth waiting until early 2022 to buy the 7th generation Mustang? Or just enjoy the current Mustang?
Too many questions! But there is only one answer really.
Life is too short to wait for something that may or may not happen when you expect it. Buy now and enjoy, I certainly did.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I'm looking to buy a brand new Mustang GT in the next 1 or 2 months. But with the news of the 7th generation Mustang coming out in 2022, I would like to see what it would be but waiting until 2022 at this point seems like quite a while to wait to get into a Mustang. Would it be worth waiting until early 2022 to buy the 7th generation Mustang? Or just enjoy the current Mustang?
You can just outright STEAL a used '15-'17 now too -- that would be more than enough to tide you over, and the most accelerated depreciation is over with on those cars, so it's not such a financial hit -- but if you want new, you want new -- and I totally get that. The feeling of ordering a new car is worth it at least once. The '18 refresh still leaves the car one of the best looking cars on the market -- but I'm not sure about the direction Ford is taking: I don't like the '18 as much as the '15, and the front of the GT500 -- while full of functional aero -- kind of ugly to me -- so I have no idea what the 7th generation car will look like, or if it will look good -- it seems like they set the bar really high for the S550, and there's not much room to improve on it. I'm trying to think back to when we first got a glimpse of what the S550 really looked like -- members like chazcron gave us an amazing preview -- it seems he's been working hard on the C8, so who knows. I don't know what you're driving now, but the S550 doesn't disappoint.

Party Rock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
First off, thank you to everyone who replied! I appreciate it!

If you're looking to buy now, just do it and enjoy it.

The '23MY is over 3 years away. That being said there might...........might be a refresh for the '21MY, but we know as much about that as we do the '23MY :crazy:

ford-mustang-hybrid-possible-test-mule.jpg
Yea I don't think I can wait until about 3 years to get into a Mustang GT. My priorities can certainly change 3 years from now, so I might as well do it while I still can, lol! :like:

If you like your current car, I'd just wait. New design, new platform (hopefully), hopefully lighter weight, hopefully performance oriented hybrid implementation, maybe the DCT comes as an option too. Based on the current rate, I'd say it'll be something close to 500hp unless they keep it as the Gen 3 for the first two years.

If you want a Mustang now, just jump on in and enjoy it.
My current car is a 2015 Subaru STI. I've had it for almost 5 years, and while I enjoyed the car I just grew tired of it and wanted to move on to something else. I've experienced V8 power before with a 2013 Camaro SS, but I've always wanted to try a Mustang GT.

Too many questions! But there is only one answer really.
Life is too short to wait for something that may or may not happen when you expect it. Buy now and enjoy, I certainly did.
Yes, you are correct! Life is too short! Might as well buy it and enjoy it while I still can!

You can just outright STEAL a used '15-'17 now too -- that would be more than enough to tide you over, and the most accelerated depreciation is over with on those cars, so it's not such a financial hit -- but if you want new, you want new -- and I totally get that. The feeling of ordering a new car is worth it at least once. The '18 refresh still leaves the car one of the best looking cars on the market -- but I'm not sure about the direction Ford is taking: I don't like the '18 as much as the '15, and the front of the GT500 -- while full of functional aero -- kind of ugly to me -- so I have no idea what the 7th generation car will look like, or if it will look good -- it seems like they set the bar really high for the S550, and there's not much room to improve on it. I'm trying to think back to when we first got a glimpse of what the S550 really looked like -- members like chazcron gave us an amazing preview -- it seems he's been working hard on the C8, so who knows. I don't know what you're driving now, but the S550 doesn't disappoint.
I see your point with saving money on a used '15-'17, but I have my eyes set on a 2018+ Mustang GT because I want to get one with the A10 transmission. I have seen dealers around me that still have brand new 2018 Mustangs still sitting on their lot that are discounted, so I'll try my luck on getting one of those first.

Sponsored

foxcoupefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT4
I ran a Harley dealership for 10 years. I used to have customers come in all the time and say "I'm gonna wait until next year to see what HD has to offer". I would then say, "you should just wait for another 20 years, as I guarantee they might be flying by then". Not the nicest way to put it, but like others have said, buy it, enjoy it, and don't always believe the grass is greener.

You will love your new Mustang whatever year you get as they make you feel like a kid again! (I'm middle age, so feeling 20 is a big deal to me).

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
How old is the car you have now? What about buying an older vehicle like a 15-17? If you are thinking of replacing an older vehicle, go it one now. You don't know what life will hold for you in the next 3-4 years

I will *probably* get a new mustang when it comes time to replace my current vehicle. That will probably be right around the 2022-2023 timeframe. Getting a new shiny, or one of the swan song goodies sounds like the plan for me

Party Rock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
How old is the car you have now? What about buying an older vehicle like a 15-17? If you are thinking of replacing an older vehicle, go it one now. You don't know what life will hold for you in the next 3-4 years

I will *probably* get a new mustang when it comes time to replace my current vehicle. That will probably be right around the 2022-2023 timeframe. Getting a new shiny, or one of the swan song goodies sounds like the plan for me
I have a 2015 Subaru STI, it's still in great condition and it runs great. I just grew tired of it after owning it for almost 5 years. Another poster mentioned about a 15-17 Mustang, but I'm looking at one with an A10 and those start in 2018. Plus, I don't want to worry about how the car was treated by the previous owner, for example if they ran it hard, raced it a lot, burnouts, modifications, already flashed the ecu, etc.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
I see where you are coming from.

Couple more questions for you, and unsolicited advice. take it with a grain of salt.

How often do you change cars?
What's your family situation like? Married or other long term relationship? Dating around? What about kids? If you have them, what are their ages? (if they are over 18 and "out of the house" you can say no kids)
Are you already saving the max for retirement? (yeah, I know, being all practical here)

Mustangs are great for young people, middle aged folks with no kids, and older people where the kids are gone. If you have kids...hope you have another car, because once they get into their teen years, that seat in the back will be horrible for them. Also, it may seem that young kids would be no problem, but if they are not big enough for their legs to go down into the footwells, they will be kicking the back of your seat and you will feel EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM! There is really only a little time period during your years with kids that owning a Mustang can be even close to practical.

I can get the point about being tired of a car, but outside a house, the cars you buy are the biggest purchases you make, and they almost never go up in value (yeah, a few do, very few, and you can't really use them as a DD). If you are not already maxing out your retirement amounts, you need to think about that first. Right now, that STI is probably only going to depreciate another 2.5k or so over the next two years (https://www.edmunds.com/subaru/wrx/2015/cost-to-own/ is my source). You've already hit the big three years, where you have lost over 6.5k of your initial value. Don't be like my sister-in-laws former mother in law. She bought a nice Lexus, returned it within 6 months, only to turn around and buy the same model/year car she just returned (and yes, it was a new one), because she wanted better car payments.

Nothing wrong with a nice flash car, but you have to make sure your priorities are right and you buy smart.

If you are going to stick with your new car for 5 years or more, then go ahead and get a new one. If you are just waiting to get a 22/23, then I would suggest you get a 2018 and have Ford go over it and certify it. Just make sure it doesn't have the engine tick and make sure the warranty will last until 2023.

Party Rock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I see where you are coming from.

Couple more questions for you, and unsolicited advice. take it with a grain of salt.

How often do you change cars?
What's your family situation like? Married or other long term relationship? Dating around? What about kids? If you have them, what are their ages? (if they are over 18 and "out of the house" you can say no kids)
Are you already saving the max for retirement? (yeah, I know, being all practical here)

Mustangs are great for young people, middle aged folks with no kids, and older people where the kids are gone. If you have kids...hope you have another car, because once they get into their teen years, that seat in the back will be horrible for them. Also, it may seem that young kids would be no problem, but if they are not big enough for their legs to go down into the footwells, they will be kicking the back of your seat and you will feel EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM! There is really only a little time period during your years with kids that owning a Mustang can be even close to practical.

I can get the point about being tired of a car, but outside a house, the cars you buy are the biggest purchases you make, and they almost never go up in value (yeah, a few do, very few, and you can't really use them as a DD). If you are not already maxing out your retirement amounts, you need to think about that first. Right now, that STI is probably only going to depreciate another 2.5k or so over the next two years (https://www.edmunds.com/subaru/wrx/2015/cost-to-own/ is my source). You've already hit the big three years, where you have lost over 6.5k of your initial value. Don't be like my sister-in-laws former mother in law. She bought a nice Lexus, returned it within 6 months, only to turn around and buy the same model/year car she just returned (and yes, it was a new one), because she wanted better car payments.

Nothing wrong with a nice flash car, but you have to make sure your priorities are right and you buy smart.

If you are going to stick with your new car for 5 years or more, then go ahead and get a new one. If you are just waiting to get a 22/23, then I would suggest you get a 2018 and have Ford go over it and certify it. Just make sure it doesn't have the engine tick and make sure the warranty will last until 2023.
I change cars every 4 to 5 years, but this was when I was still single. I just got married last year. My wife understands my interest in sports cars, and she supports my decision to buy a new Mustang. No kids yet. We do have another vehicle which is a Mazda CX-5 SUV. I’m currently not saving the max for retirement, but I am contributing to my IRA accounts every month. But I agree, maxing out for retirement is probably the better financial decision to do for my future.

I’ve read up and watched videos on the engine tick that the Mustangs have, and that is a concern for me if I intend to keep this car for 5 years or more. If I get one new, at least it has a warranty, but taking it to the dealer all the time is also a big hassle. If I get one used but certified, it’s hard to tell if the previous owner flashed the ecu since it leaves a footprint. I would hate to be denied warranty work on the engine because the previous owner flashed the ecu. But all cars have their own unique issues. The Subaru forums talk about piston ringland failure on the STI, and I was aware of this before I bought my STI. However, I have not personally met anyone else who had this issue when I would talk to other STI owners at car meets.

Sponsored

2018MUSTANGGT10R80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
One poster on you tube claims a Ford dealer told him Ford will not be building the Mustang GT 5.0 FOR MODEL YEAR 2020?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
One poster on you tube claims a Ford dealer told him Ford will not be building the Mustang GT 5.0 FOR MODEL YEAR 2020?
Sounds like a typically uninformed dealer. Either they really are that ignorant or just trying to ensure the sale of a '19 GT. Either way, I wouldn't buy from them on principle.

Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
That yt poster must be pretty naive. Ford would shoot themselves in their foot if they stopped making the most iconic trim of their most iconic car. How can you even believe that for a second? :D

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a typically uninformed dealer. Either they really are that ignorant or just trying to ensure the sale of a '19 GT. Either way, I wouldn't buy from them on principle.
When I went to buy my Mustang I knew more about the car than anyone on the lot heck they couldn't even tell the difference between a V6, Ecoboost or a GT.

2018MUSTANGGT10R80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
When I went to buy my Mustang I knew more about the car than anyone on the lot heck they couldn't even tell the difference between a V6, Ecoboost or a GT.
That yt poster must be pretty naive. Ford would shoot themselves in their foot if they stopped making the most iconic trim of their most iconic car. How can you even believe that for a second? :D
I think he is full of crap too. Just relaying what he is posting and arguing with anybody that does not believe him.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.