Sponsored

Paint on bonnet bubbling

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Paint is bubbling up in a few areas on the bonnet. The car was registered just over 3 years ago. Anyone know if this would be covered by Ford?
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The warranty is for perforation from the inside out.

Post some pictures because paint bubbling is very unusual these days. It seems a long time after manufacture for it to be a manufacturing fault. has the car ever had a repair / respray aftermarket stripe ? Any mods under the bonnet focusing heat on the underside of the bonnet ? Leaky battery ?

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
its common on the mustangs aluminium bonnet steel frame and other panels sympathetic annodisation.

I'm just going through the same warranty claim with ford at the moment since last august although thats not them not replacing the bonnet thats me arguing that they also replace my stripes + ceramic coating + ppf.
I know of about 8 different stangs that have had had their bonnets replaced under warranty due to it.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Ah, so it is corrosion not just simple bubbling paint

It is amusing as people think aluminium panels are rust proof (which they are) but they still corrode. In fact aluminium protection is probably at a less developed state than steel. Aston and Jag have had similar problems.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Post some pictures because paint bubbling is very unusual these days. It seems a long time after manufacture for it to be a manufacturing fault. has the car ever had a repair / respray aftermarket stripe ? Any mods under the bonnet focusing heat on the underside of the bonnet ? Leaky battery ?
None of the above, will post pics if I get chance.

I'm just going through the same warranty claim with ford at the moment since last august although thats not them not replacing the bonnet thats me arguing that they also replace my stripes + ceramic coating + ppf.
I know of about 8 different stangs that have had had their bonnets replaced under warranty due to it.
Is this within the 3yr warranty period? Where do you think I stand just outside this period?

I think it's a bit poor to have a 3 year old modern car corroding.

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
25 year warranty on it i believe should be a no questions asked swap. i started the process inside 3 years even if its ran on for almost another year.

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 97 Westfield SEW
Had mine replaced in January. Was bubbling on the front edge. Took the car to be inspected and with in a few weeks it was back in and a new bonnet painted and fitted.

Car was 2 1/2 year old.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Paint surface warranty is the same period (3 years) as base warranty. Corrosion warranty, which they specify covers perforation from underneath due to rust corrosion, is 12 years. So they will argue. Be persistent, these are known faults that Ford has knowingly failed to address.

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
As long as the corrosion/bubbling is under the paint and doesn’t stem from a stonechip you should be fine, I’m sure we did one at Dealer I work at that was technically out of warranty but Ford replaced anyway as it is a known issue with a few earlier cars.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Thanks all.

So is it a case of replacement rather than respray do you think?

Sponsored

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Thanks all.

So is it a case of replacement rather than respray do you think?
Hard to stop aluminium corroding once it’s started, same as rust. Have you got any pics of the affected area?

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I have small bubbles appearing on the rear of the front arches. Have had mud flaps fitted however so that'll be Ford's get-out, despite one side not being near the metal clip.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Not great images (taken on phone), but....

Drivers side
IMG_4371.JPG

Passenger side
IMG_4372.jpg
IMG_4371.JPG
Sponsored