Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone!

I bought a 2018 Mustang GT PP with about 7K on the odometer. I love everything about the car (the tick is a little weird, but I got over that), except for the transmission. Ive owned many different tuner cars from M3’s, 370z’s, Sti’s, and so on and am in love with what this car can do. The issue that I’m finding with my tranny is that about a quarter of the time, it refuses to go into 2nd gear. It happens more often when I drive it harder, but coming home from my daughters soccer game, I couldn’t get 2nd gear 1 time and I was just putting around town. I took it to the dealership and they gave me the “Ford will pay me to fix it since its under warranty, but we can seem to find what your talking about. It shifts fine. Call us if it messes up again.” I called them today about it and he said the same thing, “we’ll drive it again, but we have to replicate the situation.” Im kind of at a loss of what to do at this point. There is something clearly wrong. Its not tight going into 2nd, it refuses. I just go from 1st to 3rd. And like I said, its only about 20% of the time, but when it happens, it happens a lot. Has anyone dealt with the same issues? Advice?
Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
If it was busted shift fork I though there was no second gear at all

OP
OP

Taylor1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Its going back to Ford in the am, we shall see if they can “duplicate” the issue. I may just drive it hard the way in, then take the service advisor for a ride.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If it was busted shift fork I though there was no second gear at all

Depends - some shift forks just break, others get bent which causes misalignment and hard/inaccurate shift engagement.

OP - I would tell your Dealership to reference the MT82 TSB’s in the other link I had posted in this thread. Sounds like all they did was just “test drive” and arm chair diagnose since they could not replicate the issue.

State to the Service Writer that you want to take the Shop Foreman or Master Tech on a test drive before you leave the Dealership. When doing so, be sure to take the car on a lengthy ride to replicate the issue at the RPM/MPH where the issue is most present, so that you can demo to the Tech there is a valid concern.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
So you think the 2nd & 3rd grind some have from day 1 is bent shift Forks?

OP
OP

Taylor1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked it up from the Dealership. They kept it for about 2 weeks. Eventually the tech said he found the problem and it was a faulty shifter. New shifter is in and so far drives perfect. We shall see.
Sponsored