HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
As a DIYer, I bought a service manual for my 2016 GT.

I was surprised to see it said ANY fastener that had any anti-loosening involved should NOT be reused including ones that used thread locker! The internet (and the M6G forum) is full of how-tos that don't mention replacing bolts like that. I can understand replacing bolts calling for x pounds PLUS some degrees, nylock nuts and a few others, but can't believe everyone making the videos or written how tos are risking catastrophic failures and horrible deaths by reusing bolts that had thread locker on them from the factory. Examples are calipers when replacing rotors or IRS subframe to install CB005, etc..

So what's the scoop? Is it safe to reuse the bolts that had thread locker from the factory after cleaning and using new thread locker?

I'm not even sure what type of thread locker the factory bolts come with. It seems to have a blue tint but obviously is not something just like Lock-Tite (or equivalent) because that is supposed to be applied right before using the bolt and that is pretty much never going to happen with replacement bolts I order or buy from the dealer part department. LoL

That stuff is a lot stronger than blue Lock-Tite. I just removed the rear caliper brackets to make painting easier (or at least I thought). I could barely turn the 18MM bolts with a breaker bar that barely fit in the wheel well and it didn't get much easier until the last few threads. The threads look okay. So maybe there is something else going on with these bolts other than just thread locker.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Ford(and most manufacturers) are covering their asses with instructions like that. Reality says you can reuse the bolts without issue assuming there is no damage to them and that bolts using loctite get fresh applications of the goop.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Grimace427 is one hundred percent right. Ford states in the wsm to replace certain hardware . All there doing is covering there ass in case of a legal action. If warranty claim is made to Ford and dealer did not replace one time use hardware. Said claim will not be paid . If claim is not paid dealer loses on compensation for repair and now has all responsablity if any legal action is taken for the repair . Got to love lawyers and sue happy people.

suprmario96

Hi3 Motorsports
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 Mustang GT/6S Oxford White
What I do is only replace the TTY(torque to yield) bolts. These are bolts where torque sequence is to a certain torque spec then followed by an angular spec(90°). Only because this causes the bolt to stretch beyond torque measurement. Of course it it's anything critical like cyl head bolts regardless of stretch or not I'd replace them to be safe unless you are using ARP studs which specify you can reuse with the correct lube.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Some types of Loctite are pre-applied to the bolt and stay dry until the bolt is used. In this case Ford can't know if we (or their dealer) applied the correct threadlocker (or any at all) so they call for new bolts where they know the correct goop is applied.

Any time we step outside the house we are facing catastrophic failures and horrible death, life is dangerous! ;)
Sponsored