Sponsored

So you do a rear seat delete; OK, now what?

GentlemanJack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT #savethemanuals, 2012 Audi Q5
I just bought a 2019 base GT and I'm having a great time with it (first Mustang). I have zero need for the rear seat (no kids, etc) and I see that some people choose to do a rear seat delete. That appeals to me but I want to make sure I'm doing something with the space. So what ideas are out there with the space after a rear seat delete? I'm sure there's some insane audio examples out there, but what else?

My immediate plan is to do the delete and then add some noise dampening material to the bottom and then do something else with the space.
Sponsored

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
The concept of rear seat delete is weight reduction but if you're not racing I guess it would be a great canvas for audio.

OP
OP

GentlemanJack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The concept of rear seat delete is weight reduction but if you're not racing I guess it would be a great canvas for audio.
Seems like such a shame to only do it for weight. I'm going to find something to do with the space . . .

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't gotten around to doing one for the s550 yet, but in my 96 Cobra it made a nice place to put laptop, jacket, camera etc on a trip. The misses liked putting her purse back there too lol.

OP
OP

GentlemanJack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't gotten around to doing one for the s550 yet, but in my 96 Cobra it made a nice place to put laptop, jacket, camera etc on a trip. The misses liked putting her purse back there too lol.
Yes, extra storage space seems to be my leading contender too. The wells that are left over make it convenient for things like groceries and I may very well go in that direction.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Rear seat is just there to hold my helmet and sometimes jacket, I would just do the same with the delete

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I removed the lower seat cushion (maybe 10 lbs.) Then folded rear seats backs flat.

This will give you a nice flat storage area from rear seats to taillights and takes 5 minutes to do. I have thought about buying a black shaggie carpet to cut and fit complete area to give a finished look.

This gives me the option to quickly reinstall seat bottom, flop setbacks upright so I can haul kids when needed

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The other part to look out for (as Bill mentions in his thread somewhere), is the additional noise once you remove the bottom piece. I'm not sure the savings of 10lbs (probably more tbh) is worth the extra sound coming in.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
The other part to look out for (as Bill mentions in his thread somewhere), is the additional noise once you remove the bottom piece. I'm not sure the savings of 10lbs (probably more tbh) is worth the extra sound coming in.
When I have my rear seats down, coming back from Home Depot, or whatever, the additional road noise is not insignificant. The entire trunk is un-insulated. To combat that, you're going to need to add Dynamat or other insulation, which might negate any weight savings. Honestly, even if I didn't have a six-year-old that I stick back there, I just see no reason to remove the rear seats, other than if I were going to the track, in which case, I'd do it before I left for the track, and stick them back in when I got home. They insulate sound, look relatively nice, and still offer a very good amount of storage, should you choose to put baggage or something back there.

JR
Sponsored