Sponsored

Cylinder scoring on 2019 BULLITT

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Thanks for showing us the photos. Please keep us updated on your service experience. If it was my car, I would not be waiting until a total failure.
Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
It appears everyone is missing the point: Ford doesn't deny warranty on a blown up engine.... Theres plenty of warranty on these cars so don't worry about it until you have a legit issue ie; oil consumption, connecting rod out the side of the block etc etc... then take it to the dealer and have it fixed.
Some people (myself included) would consider cylinder scoring to be a legit issue, and in that case would consider waiting for it to progress to the point where you're sitting on the side of the road in a puddle of fluids to be a really poor choice. Especially if your wife is with you. YMMV.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Some people (myself included) would consider cylinder scoring to be a legit issue, and in that case would consider waiting for it to progress to the point where you're sitting on the side of the road in a puddle of fluids to be a really poor choice. Especially if your wife is with you. YMMV.
There are varying opinions on the sounds some of these engines are making. Some people read this thread on the interweb and run out to their cars to look for a noise they never knew existed until reading about it. Others realize that engines are mechanical devices and sometimes make less favourable sounds, however these sounds have no detriment to the way the engine runs/performs/lasts.

The OP says he's not driving the car because of teeth gritting noise and now says he's burning 3/4 of a quart of oil in 2000 miles. The oil consumption is obviously a concern that could be related to the scoring.... and the reason to take it to the dealership. The rattle is likely not even related.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
There are varying opinions on the sounds some of these engines are making. Some people read this thread on the interweb and run out to their cars to look for a noise they never knew existed until reading about it. Others realize that engines are mechanical devices and sometimes make less favourable sounds, however these sounds have no detriment to the way the engine runs/performs/lasts.

The OP says he's not driving the car because of teeth gritting noise and now says he's burning 3/4 of a quart of oil in 2000 miles. The oil consumption is obviously a concern that could be related to the scoring.... and the reason to take it to the dealership. The rattle is likely not even related.
In his case the rattle may be piston slap.

pht9vf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
paddytee
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thank you guys for your views. ;)
Honestly the rattle just sounds horrible and teeth gritting and I’m paying $800 a month for this thing and I’m not driving it. It breaks my heart when I do.
I’ve been begging several different dealers for months to boroscope this engine but they have all repeatedly refused, swearing they don’t hear the noise or that it’s normal.
Also, I keep having to top off the oil, as it appears to be burning roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart every 2,000 miles or so.
I hate to say it, but I’m about done with it. I just don’t have the time to deal with replacing an engine that will likely have the same issue (according to testimony of many people that have had 1, 2, or even 3 engines replaced before declaring lemon law on it).
I’m going to insist on a boroscope, explain the issues I’ve had, and request a buyback from Ford.

Any chance you could upload a video with the sound both inside/outside the cabin and with the hood open? idle, and above 2,000rpm?

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
OP, how many miles do you have on the car?

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Honestly the rattle just sounds horrible and teeth gritting and I’m paying $800 a month for this thing and I’m not driving it. It breaks my heart when I do.
I’ve been begging several different dealers for months to boroscope this engine but they have all repeatedly refused, swearing they don’t hear the noise or that it’s normal.
Also, I keep having to top off the oil, as it appears to be burning roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart every 2,000 miles or so.
I hate to say it, but I’m about done with it. I just don’t have the time to deal with replacing an engine that will likely have the same issue (according to testimony of many people that have had 1, 2, or even 3 engines replaced before declaring lemon law on it).
I’m going to insist on a boroscope, explain the issues I’ve had, and request a buyback from Ford.
Sorry to hear this, definitely frustrating. I'd have faith that a new engine could make it right though. There's still far more gen 3 coyotes out there without issue. Don't blame you if you're done either though, lots of awesome cars in this price range right now, C7, Supra, M2 Comp, even a base Hellcat is in the 50s now. Best of luck.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I completely understand that and don’t blame you at all. Even if they swap the engine it’s gonna show up on the car fax if your dealer reports it which I assume would lower the value of the car especially with it being a Bullitt. Not to mention what they might mess up or scratch. Not worth the hassle, I have a tick/knock on mine and I’ve been holding off on taking it to the dealer for these very reasons.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Do a compression test... If you have a bad cylinder that will show it.. If not, wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP

Retroman1969

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
The car went back to the dealer so they can examine it themselves and get the buyback process started.

Update: The dealer just called. They are going over the car, no report as yet, but the manager asked me “who added oil to the car? You or a garage?”
I said that I topped it off twice when it read below the “add” mark, and I used the factory Motorcraft oil.
He just said: “Thank you” and hung up.
Now I’m wondering what they’re trying to cook up. :(

Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Do a compression test... If you have a bad cylinder that will show it.. If not, wouldn't worry about it.
Exactly - I don't see anything in the pictures that show the motor is toast. Anything can work its way into the cylinder and leave marks.

Arm chair mechanics on this site are really causing more damage than a few marks on the cylinder walls.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Wow. Pretty extreme. If the motor is that bad Ford will replace it. Thats the correct way to deal with it... Expecting them to take the car back is unreasonable imo. And getting caught up in a "principal" battle with lawyers, bbb...... I dont get the point. The car isn't unsafe, it hasn't left you stranded. Whatever the repair consists of your not going out of pocket one cent you're throwing the towel and walking away from an amazing car... ??

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Wow. Pretty extreme. If the motor is that bad Ford will replace it. Thats the correct way to deal with it... Expecting them to take the car back is unreasonable imo. And getting caught up in a "principal" battle with lawyers, bbb...... I dont get the point. The car isn't unsafe, it hasn't left you stranded. Whatever the repair consists of your not going out of pocket one cent you're throwing the towel and walking away from an amazing car... ??
He'll be down aobut 8k on resale value.

OP
OP

Retroman1969

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
With all due respect.... Really?!
I shouldn’t have to be in a position to “throw in the towel” on an expensive brand new car. I didn’t know expecting a new car to work properly was such an unrealistic expectation.
Huh! Live and learn I guess.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
No offence but I just don't get the point of going through all the effort of taking it to another mechanic and paying for this procedure. Drive the hell out of it and if it lets go ford will fix it. I get that the "rattle" would be annoying (mine hasn't developed one as of yet) but the car has a 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty... if this is a legitimate problem theres plenty of time to have it sorted out. If my car it destined for a new engine I'd rather it replaced when its got 40k on it and start fresh!...

This is my plan. I only get the rattle when cold. Once warm I don't but I do have the typewriter tick
Sponsored