Sway Bar Removal Question

Brushtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
New owner of a S550 and it is a weekend toy, not a DD. I am setting it up for drag racing and looking to remove weight. Are there any negative affects that would cause issues by removing both front/rear sway bars?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, poor handling and extra body roll in corners. Sluggish response on lane changes at high speed.

The car has swaybars for a reason. I’d leave the front bar on there at least, for safety at higher speeds. Pull the rear bar if you want.

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
Stock rear bar weighs like 5lbs if that, if your using your car at the strip get skinny front tires and remove the rear and passenger seats I'd say that would be close to 100lbs. Removing the spare tire would save more weight than the sway bars without compromising the car

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I can vouch for the rear bar weights about 5lbs. *Anyone needs a PP bar off a 15 GT come and see me.**

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
The front bar is decently heavy, especially if you have a PP car. It's a motherfucker to get out too. I'll never do it again, unless it turns in to a race car. Just take the end links off if you need more weight transfer. My handled fine without it. It was actually smoother. But the steering is lazier.

No reason to remove the rear honestly.

Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I went years driving my 2001 GT with no front swaybar. It wollowed in turns but great at the strip; no safety issues but then again I was 21 and seemingly invincible.

Yes, you could remove it, but I would look elsewhere for weight reduction on the S550; the car was more engineered for turns than the older models, and the weight isn’t worth the steering slop and potential danger.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Front bar really is a pain to get out. A lift is almost required to get the angle to get the PP front bar out. After swapping it I swore I’d never touch that thing again.

The rear takes 5 minutes.
Sponsored