Sponsored

Transmission Repair Saga Begins

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Buckle up, ladies and gents...I’m writing this thread to help document and share my issue with the MT-82 going out on my 2019 GT.

Awhile back I posted a thread about it popping out of 2nd.

Original dealer I took it too had a tech ride with me. It popped out and he said “yeah the synchros are gone”. However since the manual tranny’s fall under their “heavy line” service the tech who would do the work wasn’t available due to being on vacation.

I took it to another dealer who several other Mustang guys here locally recommended and the advisor was great but he said he couldn’t touch the car for 4-6 weeks. He said there was a national back order on parts.

I finally took it into the dealer where I bought it. I’d avoided them originally bc their service dept doesn’t have a stellar reputation. However one of the other dealership guys said their tranny tech is the best in the city.

Service advisor calls today and says “good news/bad news...”

The good news is that Ford has authorized a new transmission. Something I wanted versus having them crack the broken one open and rebuilding.

The bad news is he doesn’t know when he can get me one. He said he’s going to see if he can take a GT off the lot and get it’s transmission out and put it in mine.

He also said that apparently Ford is “making changes to the transmissions” in the sense of beefing up/fixing the issues with these. How true that is, I don’t know. I will have to get more specifics.

I told him that if they did take a tranny out of a new car to please make sure the build date of that car, or the trans build date at least, is NOT one from 2018. Not sure if that matters but I believe it does since so many shift forks have busted in those made in late 2017 and 2018.

Also in terms of a loaner. He said “I know it sucks to drive your car as it is but I don’t want to start the clock ticking on your loaner yet. Ford only gives you four days and then I’m authorized to give you ten more. After that you have to come out of pocket.”

I have a problem with that. The Mustang is not my DD. I have a 2010 F150 too. But I want a loaner because I don’t want to keep racking miles on the truck.

14 total days of a loaner can’t be true, can it?

So I will keep updating this as I go along. If someone can share the Ford 1-800 number with me I’d be grateful.

I may want to contact them to push the loaner issue and also, should they keep my car longer than 30 days, to push for payment reimbursement.

To be continued...
Sponsored

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I think I'd have them print me a work order saying they'll replace it, awaiting parts? Then I'd just drive it till it breaks or the trans arrives. I'd just keep checking/annoying them every week for their annoyance to me.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Buckle up, ladies and gents...I’m writing this thread to help document and share my issue with the MT-82 going out on my 2019 GT.

Awhile back I posted a thread about it popping out of 2nd.

Original dealer I took it too had a tech ride with me. It popped out and he said “yeah the synchros are gone”. However since the manual tranny’s fall under their “heavy line” service the tech who would do the work wasn’t available due to being on vacation.

I took it to another dealer who several other Mustang guys here locally recommended and the advisor was great but he said he couldn’t touch the car for 4-6 weeks. He said there was a national back order on parts.

I finally took it into the dealer where I bought it. I’d avoided them originally bc their service dept doesn’t have a stellar reputation. However one of the other dealership guys said their tranny tech is the best in the city.

Service advisor calls today and says “good news/bad news...”

The good news is that Ford has authorized a new transmission. Something I wanted versus having them crack the broken one open and rebuilding.

The bad news is he doesn’t know when he can get me one. He said he’s going to see if he can take a GT off the lot and get it’s transmission out and put it in mine.

He also said that apparently Ford is “making changes to the transmissions” in the sense of beefing up/fixing the issues with these. How true that is, I don’t know. I will have to get more specifics.

I told him that if they did take a tranny out of a new car to please make sure the build date of that car, or the trans build date at least, is NOT one from 2018. Not sure if that matters but I believe it does since so many shift forks have busted in those made in late 2017 and 2018.

Also in terms of a loaner. He said “I know it sucks to drive your car as it is but I don’t want to start the clock ticking on your loaner yet. Ford only gives you four days and then I’m authorized to give you ten more. After that you have to come out of pocket.”

I have a problem with that. The Mustang is not my DD. I have a 2010 F150 too. But I want a loaner because I don’t want to keep racking miles on the truck.

14 total days of a loaner can’t be true, can it?

So I will keep updating this as I go along. If someone can share the Ford 1-800 number with me I’d be grateful.

I may want to contact them to push the loaner issue and also, should they keep my car longer than 30 days, to push for payment reimbursement.

To be continued...

14 days - he is correct. However, he might be able to get an extension for ”Customer Loyalty” provisions by reaching out to Ford. The only other way you would get an extension is IF you were to start a Case with a Ford CSR for your region. They can extend that loaner period IF there is a delay in either sourcing a trans (if they don’t authorize the removal of the “on the lot” donor) or a delay in actual repair time (R&R). I know that as fact, as I had prior loaners that were in excess of 14 days when I had my prior 2016 S550.

So what he has told you is both 100% correct and accurate about being able to source a donor from a new vehicle as well as loaner time. He’s following and adhering to the Ford issued Warranty Policy Manual.

Sounds like a really good guy too - he’s being 100% transparent with you and not blowing smoke up your ass.

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 days - he is correct. However, he might be able to get an extension for ”Customer Loyalty” provisions by reaching out to Ford. The only other way you would get an extension is IF you were to start a Case with a Ford CSR for your region. They can extend that loaner period IF there is a delay in either sourcing a trans (if they don’t authorize the removal of the “on the lot” donor) or a delay in actual repair time (R&R). I know that as fact, as I had prior loaners that were in excess of 14 days when I had my prior 2016 S550.

So what he has told you is both 100% correct and accurate about being able to source a donor from a new vehicle as well as loaner time. He’s following and adhering to the Ford issued Warranty Policy Manual.

Sounds like a really good guy too - he’s being 100% transparent with you and not blowing smoke up your ass.
Thank you for the info. I appreciate it!

And you’re right he’s been straight up with me so far. Actually all three of the advisors from the dealerships I’ve gone to have been straight and I appreciate that.

That’s crazy to me that Ford only gives you 14 days of a loaner regardless of whether their broken vehicle is ready to be returned to the customer or not. I believe I’ll end up opening a case with the Ford regional as you mentioned.

The other thing that he said - about Ford redesigning the trans - gave me pause. I’ve heard nothing about that other than from him. So I’m curious as to what they’re doing. Hopefully I can get more info on that today.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I sure wouldn't want to be the sucker who winds up buying the car on the lot that was cannibalized for the transmission. I wonder if they are still going to represent it as a new car.

Sponsored

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
My dealer said Ford does not offer loaners, only so if you purchased an Ext warranty..Never thought to really look in to it.

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I sure wouldn't want to be the sucker who winds up buying the car on the lot that was cannibalized for the transmission. I wonder if they are still going to represent it as a new car.
Agreed!

But what they’d do I think is keep the donor car set aside until whenever the new trans came in.

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got a Focus for a loaner. Paperwork said F150 and we walked outside to a Focus. FML.

The estimated completion date for my car is April 16-20. They’re not sure if they’re going to wait for the new one or take one off a donor car on the lot yet.

I asked them to run the borescope through the cylinders to check them while they’ve got the car. May as well kill two birds with one stone. I want to be sure they’re not scored since I’ve got the tick, rattle and had some metal flakes. He said he didn’t know if he could open another ticket on it but he’d check.

So I wait.

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update;

I took my loaner back bc I wasn’t using it. I hated driving that thing and have been using my truck mostly the entire time. While I was there the advisor said he had good news.

They’re going to pull a brand new GT PP1 off the lot and take its tranny out and put it into mine. One thing I asked was if they were going that route to make sure the build date on the trans and car were in 2019 with hops that since mine was built in 2018 it would clear me of the issues with the 18’s.

The car that’s donating it’s tranny to mine was built this month.

So I should have it back next week. I was expecting the worst and while things could still go sideways I hadn’t even placed a call to Ford customer service yet since they’ve only had it for a week plus.

I asked them to see if I brought in BG it Amsoil fluid if they’d dump the stock shit and put this in for me. He said he’d ask and let me know.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
That sounds really odd.. The numbers on the tranny, bar codes etc match up with the build numbers of the car as far as I know... I'd double check that if I were you. And if true, I would never buy a car from that dealer again. Sounds shady to me.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My dealer said Ford does not offer loaners, only so if you purchased an Ext warranty..Never thought to really look in to it.
Ford will reimburse dealers for loaners but there are restrictions. I suspect a lot of dealers say things to try to avoid using that up.

Since they are not a sure thing automatically, and since I had a Z plan with no trade, I made a written guarantee for the dealer to provide a loaner for any warranty work that took more than a day the tie breaker between dealers when negotiating since they can't lower the price with a Z plan.

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sounds really odd.. The numbers on the tranny, bar codes etc match up with the build numbers of the car as far as I know... I'd double check that if I were you. And if true, I would never buy a car from that dealer again. Sounds shady to me.
As I was in my uber on the way home I actually thought about this. But my thought process was mine is a 2019 and getting a new trans and that new trans, if it came from Ford as a brand new unit, wouldn’t be marked with my specific car info. So perhaps trannys arent “assigned” to specific cars.

The other thing I thought about was...how do I prove it’s a new one?

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Unbelievable that they'd tear a trans out of a brand new car and put it in yours. Some 22 year old service lacky with greasy hands gonna be stripping bolts and dragging parts accross perfectly good paint.

Im really shocked they'd do this and feel bad for the poor bastard that will eventually buy a "new" 2019 Mustang with a replaced trans!!

Eff that!

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On one hand I’m happy that I don’t have to wait two months to get my 2019 car with 6000 miles fixed.

On the other hand I have some concerns. My understanding is the donor car is getting whatever transmission that I’d be getting if they were to make me wait the month and a half to two months.

We’ll see how it shakes out. I’m not holding my breath because I have a feeling it’ll get nixed somehow. I wish the new trannys weren’t on a National backorder.

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As I was getting ready to drive over and check on it I got the call it was ready to be picked up.

I appreciated the advisor asking me if I wanted it washed. He said he knows some people are particular about having their cars out through the dealership wash. I declined despite it having pounds of pollen and dirt on it. I’ll wash it tomorrow.

First impression after driving it was how much tighter and stiff the new trans feels compared to my old one. It made me realize how loose and sloppy my old one was.

Here’s what my receipt says;

Tech verified concern. Performed NVH diagnostic. Found trans was making a grinding noise and would not stay engaged into 2nd gear. Raised car and took a fluid sample. Found excessive metallic particles in fluid. Performed cost cap. Was instructed to replace trans due to year, model and mileage. Ordered trans and found they are back ordered. After waiting three weeks we were given authorization to install a new trans from a stock unit (then listed donor car VIN). R&R trans and installed new trans assembly. Bleed air from clutch hydraulic system. Perform road test and it passed.

A couple of things to note;

I want to trace the VIN listed from the donor car to see if it indeed did come from a car built in March 2019. Does anyone know how I can do this?

The advisor told me that his boss asked if I wanted a buy back and he told him no that I’d be satisfied with a trans from a 2019 built car. That is true because even if I had done a buy back I’d have bought the exact same car except with the 401A (mine is 400A).

I asked them if I could give them Amsoil to put in it and they didn’t allow that. He said the tech told him to tell me to leave my motorcraft fluid in there through the break in period and in case the same problem arises he didn’t want any problems with repair getting denied.

The drive home felt good. I missed driving it. I’m happy that what I expected to be a lengthy and infuriating process was pretty streamlined and simple.
Sponsored