Sponsored

Rear passenger side rattle/buzz

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've been wondering about this myself. So it's from the rear pillar not the vertical pillar where the seat belt bracket is. Thanks. I'm going got do the same to mine, because I get the rattle on occasion, as well.

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
What's that long piece of plastic hanging out in the wind with the T on the end? Does it get secured somehow?
Yes, it's a double ended T twist to fit inside a slot on the C pillar. One of the metal clips had a plastic bracket that the T goes in, it's so when the air bags deploy that the pillar don't fly around the vehicle from the force of deployment. They're on all of the A/B/C pillars.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yes, it's a double ended T twist to fit inside a slot on the C pillar. One of the metal clips had a plastic bracket that the T goes in, it's so when the air bags deploy that the pillar don't fly around the vehicle from the force of deployment. They're on all of the A/B/C pillars.
Yes, the tether does not look like it was ever secured properly during factory assembly. So with it unsecured, it must be bouncing off the C-pillar depending on road imperfections, driving characteristics and normal NVH.

Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sometimes I'm getting a rattle from this general area too. It's more of a loose clicking or tapping noise, rather than a buzz. Can't tell if its the B or C pillar or rear side window area, exactly. After seeing these videos I'm amazed at all the hardware and stuff hidden behind what looks like a simple trim panel. My 2011 Mustang was pretty good with rattles and squeaks but maybe that was a fluke. My 1991 Thunderbird was a rolling pile of rattles and squeaks.

Last edited:

mustangenthusiast25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang Gt Premium

sorry for the vertical video
Did it fix the issue? I have a 2015, and have had the annoying tapping from the c pillar forever that sounds like this . I put felt in the area, but I don't know how to fix the tether from banging against the c pillar cover?

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Did it fix the issue? I have a 2015, and have had the annoying tapping from the c pillar forever that sounds like this. I put felt in the area, but I don't know how to fix the tether from banging against the c pillar cover?
Hey man! do me a favor and tap on this area of the pillar when it's stopped. It should sound kind of like metal/hard plastic hitting eachother
vg1Yxm2.png

The tether fixed one tone of rattle but I still had another in that area. I'll try to show it in this picture. There's one of those plastic clips with the metal tips on that trim that helps hold it to the airbag area. I took some tin snips, cut the bottom part of the plastic and some needle nose and pulled that sucker out. There's already 5 other holders in that area for full support. As soon as I cut that plastic out and re put the pillar together I went for a drive and tried to hit every crack/bump/hole in the road and I never heard any rattle at all. Been driving it for 3 days now without any vibration or rattling.
fprw1pl.png

Hope that helps!
Alex

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ Rusted metal in that 2nd photo? Is that the airbag canister?

Sponsored

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I’m posting this from another thread as I have the same issue and this was what the dealership/body shop found:

The roof pillar reinforcement is contacting the inner wheel house and quarter panel approximately in a 4 inch section. They hammered that section apart to create separation that should be present. They placed caulking to prevent contact.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
A BIG THANK YOU to all who contributed to this thread..

I FINALLY got around to addressing the two annoying buzz rattle noises coming from the C Pillar area by the passenger side quarter window and the main front dash.
Thanks to all of the guys who contributed on this thread for providing me guidance on the source of the C pillar noise.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/rear-passenger-side-rattle-buzz.20650/page-7

There were two issues with the C pillar situation. One was the air bag cannister located in the panel above the rear quarter window. The metal bracket which houses the canister was contacting the plastic behind it. This required sticking insulation behind the canister steel bracket to create a buffer between it and the plastic.
The other problem was the high density foam attached to the back of the lower panel which had disconnected partially from the panel and was creating noise as it rubbed against the side of the bodies sheet metal.
I thought about removing the foam, but read this statement regarding safety and instead decided to re-attach using dynamat and 3m adhesive spray.

Some car companies, such as Ford, add impact-absorbing foam blocksbetween the inner door panels and the interior trim during the car panel installation process. These foam blocks are placed near the occupant's chest and hip areas to protect them during an impact [Source: Ford].

The complete process required removing the rear seats and both side panels. While I was in there I decided to dynamat some small areas that had a bit of a tinny feel to them. I also placed dynamat on the metal where the foam contacted the body of the car.
I won't know the results until I can get the car out this spring for a test drive but initial indications are that this should solve the C pillar problem.

Here is a link to my thread with complete details and pictures..
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/lorne34-shelby-gt350-build-mesteno.134371/page-17

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I hope Ford did a better job assembling and insulating these areas on the S650. I had a cheap Kia rental last year that was a wet noodle to drive, but was a lot more tightly built on the interior (no rattles).

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
A BIG THANK YOU to all who contributed to this thread..

I FINALLY got around to addressing the two annoying buzz rattle noises coming from the C Pillar area by the passenger side quarter window and the main front dash.
Thanks to all of the guys who contributed on this thread for providing me guidance on the source of the C pillar noise.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/rear-passenger-side-rattle-buzz.20650/page-7

There were two issues with the C pillar situation. One was the air bag cannister located in the panel above the rear quarter window. The metal bracket which houses the canister was contacting the plastic behind it. This required sticking insulation behind the canister steel bracket to create a buffer between it and the plastic.
The other problem was the high density foam attached to the back of the lower panel which had disconnected partially from the panel and was creating noise as it rubbed against the side of the bodies sheet metal.
I thought about removing the foam, but read this statement regarding safety and instead decided to re-attach using dynamat and 3m adhesive spray.

Some car companies, such as Ford, add impact-absorbing foam blocksbetween the inner door panels and the interior trim during the car panel installation process. These foam blocks are placed near the occupant's chest and hip areas to protect them during an impact [Source: Ford].

The complete process required removing the rear seats and both side panels. While I was in there I decided to dynamat some small areas that had a bit of a tinny feel to them. I also placed dynamat on the metal where the foam contacted the body of the car.
I won't know the results until I can get the car out this spring for a test drive but initial indications are that this should solve the C pillar problem.

Here is a link to my thread with complete details and pictures..
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/lorne34-shelby-gt350-build-mesteno.134371/page-17
Glad to hear all your interior noises were fixed Lorne!
Sponsored