Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
However, if Ford put an NA 5.8 DOHC TiVCT engine into the Mustang - many people would buy that car. Assuming the chassis was good and the engine made significantly more power than the current NA 5.0 and 5.2 engines, I would be ready to buy immediately..
This sounds remarkably similar to the 2000 Cobra R, combining the high flowing DOHC 4v heads and the larger "truck" displacement. It was a good performer at the time. With current heads/intakes/TiVCT/GDI, I think a 5.8L version would make about the same power as the 5.2 voodoo except with more mid-range torque.
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
In informal discussions they not needed and it if provokes people to research on their own then all the better. ..
If anyone challenges anything I've stated as fact, I will gladly cite my sources (if I haven't already). It adds significant credibility.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'll refer back to my last post...

Can you find an OHC engine that isn't OHV?
That design wouldn't make much sense. A "flat head" engine design (ie, not OHV) is basically like a Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine. The valves are in the block so the cam would be below the valves. The head is only the combustion chamber - no valves in the head. Flat head engines don't breath very well so it's no wonder they were discontinued in cars many decades ago. Still OK for a 5 HP lawn mower engine though.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
.... Flat head engines don't breath very well so it's no wonder they were discontinued in cars many decades ago...
This draws an interesting parallel. Looking back, it’s pretty obvious that the ohv pushrod v8’s had a clear head flow and power advantage over the old flathead v8. Ford actually downsized the cubic inches when they made this conversion, and ohv pushrod became the standard. In modern times, it is obvious to some that the dohc 4v design is clearly better and allows you to make more power with less displacement.

How many people in the 1950’s longed for the days of the larger flathead v8’s when they were phased out for smaller, more complicated, but more powerful pushrod v8’s? How silly do they look in hindsight, when ohv is clearly so superior?

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The OP will never attempt to install this tractor engine (let alone actually buy one) into his mustang.

There will be ZERO aftermarket support, as there will be no demand.
It won’t be emissions compliant, so he’ll never be able to register it for public road use.
Good luck on getting any electronics to run this engine and have that communicate with the other electronic systems in the car.
His V6 engine will be faster as is.
The cars value would be less than a rusted out Yugo.

Some people like to dream.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
...Good luck on getting any electronics to run this engine and have that communicate with the other electronic systems in the car...
I was alluding to this many pages ago. I’ve dabbled enough in modern ecm tuning to know how truly mind-blowing they are and how difficult a transplant really would be. For this to have a snowballs chance of ever working would require ford to release something like the Chevy e-rod or Ford coyote crate engine control pack, except rather than being standalone it would have to integrate into all the other chassis and electronics modules. Without something like that, lotsa luck.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The OP will never attempt to install this tractor engine (let alone actually buy one) into his mustang.

There will be ZERO aftermarket support, as there will be no demand.
It won’t be emissions compliant, so he’ll never be able to register it for public road use.
Good luck on getting any electronics to run this engine and have that communicate with the other electronic systems in the car.
His V6 engine will be faster as is.
The cars value would be less than a rusted out Yugo.

Some people like to dream.

The first biggie is that as of next month there is no more emissions testing or inspection anymore where I live so that big caveat is gone.

The motor has the truck electronics and an A10 mated to it all sorted out. It’s just for a truck and not the Mustang, but most of the work is done there.

I won’t do it myself but there will be shops that will swap it for you guaranteed.

Now I have something for you GT folk. The second car in the video below is the Lincoln Continental with the 4 valve front wheel drive Cobra V8 motor in it. Check out the video of the traverse motor that looks just like a Coyote motor but sideways. And then check out this land yacht in action! They say I don’t have sources but check out the Lincoln smoke the front tires! It is actually cool.

But yes - proof the original Ford modular motor used in the Ford Cobra was used as a front wheel drive car. Laugh, cry, let it become a part of you, but this was actually designed to be a FWD motor.

Have fun watching this...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Now Imhave something for younGT folk. The second car in the video is the Lincoln Continental with the 4valve front wheel drive Cobra Vi motor in it. Check out the video of the travers motor that looks just like a Coyote motor but sideways. And then check out this land yacht. They say I don’t have sources but check out the Lincoln smoke the front tires! It is actually cool.

But yes - proof the original Ford modular motor used in the Ford Cobra was used as a front wheel drive car. Laugh, cry, let it become a part of you but this was actually designed to be a FWD motor.

Nobody cares!

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
The first biggie is that as of next month there is no more emissions testing or inspection anymore where I live so that big caveat is gone.

The motor has the truck electronics and an A10 mated to it all sorted out. It’s just for a truck and not the Mustang, but most of the work is done there.

I won’t do it myself but there will be shops that will swap it for you guaranteed.

Now I have something for you GT folk. The second car in the video below is the Lincoln Continental with the 4 valve front wheel drive Cobra V8 motor in it. Check out the video of the traverse motor that looks just like a Coyote motor but sideways. And then check out this land yacht in action! They say I don’t have sources but check out the Lincoln smoke the front tires! It is actually cool.

But yes - proof the original Ford modular motor used in the Ford Cobra was used as a front wheel drive car. Laugh, cry, let it become a part of you, but this was actually designed to be a FWD motor.

Be easy on them.....they are young.
They cannot grasp what was going on with design trends during the '80's.
RWD was thought to go extinct.
Emissions was a primary concern.
Even the Stang was slated to be FWD.

The youth on this forum are truly special but in a good way.

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Yes, of course. Deck height is why it's 1.6" wider. It's also 1.6" taller, however, this didn't appear to be a problem when fitting a supercharged version under the hood of a Mustang. And again, we were told repeatedly that 2.5" is "nothing" when talking engine sizes, so why is 1.6" such a big deal to you guys now when 2.5" wasn't just a few pages ago?
Notice the hood bulge on the GT500?
The height was a problem.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I was alluding to this many pages ago. I’ve dabbled enough in modern ecm tuning to know how truly mind-blowing they are and how difficult a transplant really would be. For this to have a snowballs chance of ever working would require ford to release something like the Chevy e-rod or Ford coyote crate engine control pack, except rather than being standalone it would have to integrate into all the other chassis and electronics modules. Without something like that, lotsa luck.
You under estimate the abilities of a American Redneck.
I'm one of those people.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Be easy on them.....they are young.
They cannot grasp what was going on with design trends during the '80's.
RWD was thought to go extinct.
Emissions was a primary concern.
Even the Stang was slated to be FWD.

The youth on this forum are truly special but in a good way.
The thing is that the old Windsor was to be the last traditional V8 motor in the Mustang and to be replaced with what was later called the Probe. The backlash was so severe to this idea that Ford scraped the FWD Mustang. But since they never planned for this, things got stagnant and motors got pulled from other cars to fit in the traditional Mustang. I figure that is why the
Modular V8 showed up in the Lincoln first, but here I’m just speculating from what I remember of those times.

If it’s the truth all the pieces come together and it all makes sense...

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
The thing is that the old Windsor was to be the last traditional V8 motor in the Mustang and to be replaced with what was later called the Probe. The backlash was so severe to this idea that Ford scraped the FWD Mustang. But since they never planned for this, things got stagnant and motors got pulled from other cars to fit in the traditional Mustang. I figure that is why the
Modular V8 showed up in the Lincoln first, but here I’m just speculating from what I remember of those times.

If it’s the truth all the pieces come together and it all makes sense...
You remember just fine.......
The Mustang was to be FWD with a AWD performance option if we were lucky and all of based off of a Mazda 626.
The RWD Mustang sticking around threw a huge wrench into the works.

I see you lived these dark days just like me.......miserable times they were.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
...The second car in the video below is the Lincoln Continental with the 4 valve front wheel drive Cobra V8 motor in it. Check out the video of the traverse motor that looks just like a Coyote motor but sideways. And then check out this land yacht in action! They say I don’t have sources but check out the Lincoln smoke the front tires! ...But yes - proof the original Ford modular motor used in the Ford Cobra was used as a front wheel drive car. Laugh, cry, let it become a part of you, but this was actually designed to be a FWD motor.
Hahahahaha.....you said on page 26:

...The block was in fact designed from the get go as a front wheel drive engine..
I asked for sources proving it was designed primarily as a FWD engine, not for an example of a FWD mod v8. Sheesh! Try and keep up.
Sponsored