New struts with lowering springs?

KevMeanRedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack
I am going to be installing the SR Performance Sport Lowering Springs from American Muscle soon. The front ones are progressive and supposed to lower it 1.2" and the rear are linear and supposed to lower it 1". It is a 2016 GT with the Performance Package. My understanding is that the Performance Pack has "better" struts and shocks than the regular GT. The car has 30k miles so I am considering changing out the struts and shocks since I will have them off any way. I was considering these:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-performance-replacement-front-strut-1518-w-o-magneride.html
They only have one review and at that price I am wondering if they will be much of an upgrade over the OEM Perf Pack struts. I do plan to do the occasional track day and autocross as well. Any advice or ideas would be appreiciated.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Don't go cheap on dampers. The least expensive dampers I would choose include Ford Performance or Steeda. Definitely get front and rear.

LFSoccer2k6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 Premium Jet Gray HP

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Absolutely do the Steeda ProAction Adjustables. They're amazing. Truly amazing. You can have them soft for the street, and then tight for the track.

I have them (see my sig line) with the stock PP springs, and the ride versus handling balance is amazing.

Dampers are more important than the springs, if you value performance over looks.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to be installing the SR Performance Sport Lowering Springs from American Muscle soon. The front ones are progressive and supposed to lower it 1.2" and the rear are linear and supposed to lower it 1". It is a 2016 GT with the Performance Package. My understanding is that the Performance Pack has "better" struts and shocks than the regular GT. The car has 30k miles so I am considering changing out the struts and shocks since I will have them off any way. I was considering these:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-performance-replacement-front-strut-1518-w-o-magneride.html
They only have one review and at that price I am wondering if they will be much of an upgrade over the OEM Perf Pack struts. I do plan to do the occasional track day and autocross as well. Any advice or ideas would be appreiciated.
I'd hold off on installing those springs then and go with something actually designed for performance improvement. Definitely upgrade dampers.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I do plan to do the occasional track day and autocross as well.
With that in mind, you absolutely should be looking a bit higher up the food chain for both dampers and springs. Keep in mind that with any springs that aren't OE on your car and its trim you won't be autocrossing in F-Street, and that the amount lowered does not necessarily correspond to improved cornering/handling performance.

Norm

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
With 30k miles clocked, you’re smart to replace your shocks and struts when doing new springs.

Steeda’s comfort package will get you the look with upgraded handling and a nice ride. If you want to get more track focused then I recommend giving them a call/email so you can customize your setup for your specific goals.

OP
OP
KevMeanRedGT

KevMeanRedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input guys. I sprung for the Steeda adjustable set tonight (hope the wife doesn't figure it out...lol)I'll report back once I have them installed thanks guys!

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Great choice - you can always tell her you wanted her to feel more comfortable in the Mustang ... its all about her :)

OP
OP
KevMeanRedGT

KevMeanRedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
So got the Steeda pro action adjustable shocks and struts installed over the weekend. Wow! Night and day difference in ride and handling nose dive and squat are gone very little body roll. Can't wait to get it on the track now. I haven't played around with the adjustments yet either. I just set them all to about 50% to start with.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
So got the Steeda pro action adjustable shocks and struts installed over the weekend. Wow! Night and day difference in ride and handling nose dive and squat are gone very little body roll. Can't wait to get it on the track now. I haven't played around with the adjustments yet either. I just set them all to about 50% to start with.
Awesome. Glad they feel good.

I have Konis which are very similar but valved a differently from the Steeda adjustables. I definitely like the upper end of the range for high speed track and autox use. Like 7/10 or 8/10 for the front shocks (quarter turns from bottom on the adjustment knob), and just a smidge less on the rear than the front (-1 quarter turn or so).

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

Make sure to get the alignment done as well!

OP
OP
KevMeanRedGT

KevMeanRedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
:thumbsup: Have it scheduled for this weekend along with tech inspection for track day. :rockon:

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the feedback thus far ... I am sure you are going to continue to love them!!!

If you need any assistance with the settings, please let us know.

TJ

OP
OP
KevMeanRedGT

KevMeanRedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate the feedback thus far ... I am sure you are going to continue to love them!!!

If you need any assistance with the settings, please let us know.

TJ
I will gladly take any suggestions on settings for different conditions/driving styles
Sponsored