Sponsored

Comprehensive Airlift P Install (Pictures Lost)

S550.David

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
* Long response :D

This is what makes air so great. You can set it however you want real-time. :headbang:

I should have re-phrased that a little better. What I meant by hard is, the inner fender liners are touching the tires in the front. The car is not drive-able when it is fully air'd out like some other car brands are able to do. It does not slam down on the tires. Nor is it causing any damage to the tires.

I can put my finger in there and feel the tires touching but there is no warping or bending of the liners like they are being crushed by the weight of the car. There is a lot more clearance in the rear and they do not touch at all. You can even spin the collars on the struts higher to fully eliminate that if you want. The car just wont sit all the way down.

I am able to get to 0 psi when I fully air the car out and it is only when the car is parked and not moving that it is in this state. It also makes a good theft deterrent if need be and for ultimate peace of mind you can even take the controller with you. Just turn off auto rise on start.

Plus the reactions from people when they stand there with their mouth open when the car is coming down is addicting. :D

There is no safety mechanism that will auto up if it detects resistance. The most important thing to always remember if you air the car out is the steering wheel is perfectly straight. If the wheel is turned and you air out, the car will come down and the tire will damage the fender.

This is why I run a 255/35 tire on a 20x9 wheel in the front. I have a good amount of wiggle room. The 275/35 works but it is very close to the fender and i just didn't feel comfortable with the minimal clearance.

When I first purchased aftermarket wheels. I had a 20x10 with 5mm spacers and it just would not work without running a good bit of negative camber. Wheel offset has a big impact here as well.

In the picture below is a 275/35/20 G2 tire on a 20x10 wheel. You can see how the tire/wheel is too wide. This is at approximately 20 psi with the camber plates set at 0. I could hear the front bumper cover start cracking under the weight of the car. I was manually lowering the car with the individual switches and monitoring it.

If I had just air'd the car out it would have come down and f'ed up the fender and bumper cover. I swapped to the wheels that are on the car now and went to a 255/35 tire on a 20x9 wheel

F6CE000F-6CFC-4B3F-BD89-2F13AAD56BBA_zpstxg0gs4n.jpg

The only thing I regret is not researching tires more before I bought the G2s. I would have gone with the MPSS. They are an inch lower than the G2s and got the car down even lower to the ground.

None of this is to scare off anyone thinking about going air. Just information that you need to keep in mind when making decisions. I am completely happy with going this route and would not go back to any other suspension set-up. There are way to many pros versus cons.
I have Airlift on my s550 on 20” x10” rotiform et 27, 245/35/20 tires. I want t adjust the fronts to go lower. My question is did you adjust the collars on the front struts to go lower than what’s set from Airlift? If so how much? I want to be able to have my front spitter touch the ground

Thank you in advance
Sponsored