Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

RafaMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, PP, Ruby Red
Just had my compressor replaced under warranty. Car is a 16 GT with only about 11,XXX miles on it...
Sponsored

Last edited:

flyinghunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium
Flood ESP saved me some cash. 2016 GT with 29k miles AC system died requiring replacement of nearly everything. Paid deductible and drove away. I asked the service rep. what the cost would have been and he stated $1800. The $725 I paid for the ESP just paid for itself. Thanks to this forum and the information shared! I wouldn't have bought the ESP without M6G sharing the AC issue.
Stay cool out there!

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Thanks for mentioning the Flood ESP, just looked that up and seems like a good option, little extra assurance. Hopefully by 2024 there will be some good, permanent fixes for this A/C bullshit.

nzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Fastback GT MT PP
A question for any of you guys that have had the interior of their car totally dismantled in order to replace the evaporator; once the job was completed, did you have any issues with hot air entering the passenger side foot well, from the engine bay?.
I have had this issue since my evaporator was replaced. The service manager initially thought it was the flapper valve in the heater unit not closing off on that side properly, but one of their mechanics has checked and ruled that out as a cause, and confirmed that "yes there is hot air from the engine bay coming into the foot well", but at this stage have no idea why. I am in New Zealand, so my car is right hand drive, but from photos I have seen, the firewalls look to just be mirrored the same as left hand drive models. From what I can see there are just 2 big holes on the passenger side, one big one between the glove box and battery box in the engine bag, and another smaller hole closer to the centre of the car, so my guess is it has to be one of them not sealed fully. Unfortunately it's impossible to see either hole from either side of the fire wall.
My car is booked to go back in, in a couple of weeks, but just wondering if any one has had this issue, and how was it fixed?.
Thanks in advance

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I believe there should be a gasket that surrounds the a/c & heater hose passing through the firewall. Maybe they forgot to install it. I think there's also a couple of firewall plugs on the right side as well.

Now here's a problem I had with my 17. I had heat coming from the console so bad it was very hot to touch in summer driving. While under the car one day I spotted the rubber shifter seal to tunnel was only partially sealed. I adjusted it back into place and heat problem was solved. I tell you this because I would think they had to remove the console to remove the dash, I'm not sure, and I wonder if they disturbed the seal.

Sponsored

nzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that, will have to check out the shifter seal, as that's quite possible. I have attached an image of my car after being "dismantled", as you can see, pretty much everything between the firewall and rear seats was removed
20181123_104047.jpg

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Man, it's so sad they have to tear a car apart so far just to change an evaporator that would probably be just a few cents more for better quality from the supplier. I can see in the pic the tunnel looks like it has two holes for something or a plug. The shifter boot look a little odd at the bottom but hard to tell if it's dislodged due to the white foam. The other two larger holes on the firewall should probably have a new gasket kit ordered with the evaporator.

cechk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
A question for any of you guys that have had the interior of their car totally dismantled in order to replace the evaporator; once the job was completed, did you have any issues with hot air entering the passenger side foot well, from the engine bay?.
I have had this issue since my evaporator was replaced. The service manager initially thought it was the flapper valve in the heater unit not closing off on that side properly, but one of their mechanics has checked and ruled that out as a cause, and confirmed that "yes there is hot air from the engine bay coming into the foot well", but at this stage have no idea why. I am in New Zealand, so my car is right hand drive, but from photos I have seen, the firewalls look to just be mirrored the same as left hand drive models. From what I can see there are just 2 big holes on the passenger side, one big one between the glove box and battery box in the engine bag, and another smaller hole closer to the centre of the car, so my guess is it has to be one of them not sealed fully. Unfortunately it's impossible to see either hole from either side of the fire wall.
My car is booked to go back in, in a couple of weeks, but just wondering if any one has had this issue, and how was it fixed?.
Thanks in advance

Mine had more rattles after the evaporator was replaced

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thanks for that, will have to check out the shifter seal, as that's quite possible. I have attached an image of my car after being "dismantled", as you can see, pretty much everything between the firewall and rear seats was removed
20181123_104047.jpg
And in THAT image, if you are looking to the LEFT of your center console (which would be YOUR passenger side over there), you see that huge hole with the metal lines poking in? Those are the lines that go into the HVAC box. There would (should be) a large gasket that goes there once the HVAC box is reinstalled. The gasket may be affixed to the back side of the HVAC box and should seal to the firewall. If that gasket is ripped, poorly sealed (not 100% seated into place) or just plain missing you would get excessive incoming air (cold or hot) coming in from then engine bay depending on the season.

There is also another gasket or seal on the firewall that is circular and would be lower where the A/C core drains condensation to the engine bay (where it drips to the ground). That is another seal that should be checked for a breach.

I can’t imagine there would be a breach at the large firewall seal for the HVAC box, because you would not only feel air, but engine and road noises would be significantly pronounced.

Can’t see very well to the pedal side, but I’m not sure what firewall grommets or seals exist on that side.

I would try to get the car on a lift or safely on jack stands and look around and under the firewall area. Check those same grommets and seals for any distortion or improper installation.

nzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that, based on my photo and where the hot air is concentrated, I suspect the issue is with the gasket around the hole for the HVAC lines. I suspect its just a bit of damage to the gasket/not 100% sealed, rather than completely missing, because as you say, in that case it would probably be a lot more noticeable. Hopefully if the car is on a hoist we will be able to see something.

Sponsored

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
Dropped my car off, it has 11k miles. Now the waiting.

yessirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Convertible
My 2015 had the compressor fail at 40,000 or so miles. My 2017 compressor just failed at 39,000. I negotiated ESP when I purchased the 2017 so I am only out the $100 for the deductible not the entire $1800. They got me for $1600 on the 2015. ESP was a good investment in this case.

Deleted member 35786

My 2015 had the compressor fail at 40,000 or so miles. My 2017 compressor just failed at 39,000. I negotiated ESP when I purchased the 2017 so I am only out the $100 for the deductible not the entire $1800. They got me for $1600 on the 2015. ESP was a good investment in this case.
WOW that is expensive, especially considering a compressor is less than $250.
https://www.amazon.com/UAC-CO-11316...88------------1&vehicleName=2017+Ford+Mustang

Ford part is just about $400.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...meT0yMDE3JnQ9Z3QtcHJlbWl1bSZlPTUtMGwtdjgtZ2Fz

Both have a 1yr warranty. LOL

yessirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Convertible
Both times the compressor sent shrapnel or debris through the system. Had to replace a myriad of parts.

Deleted member 35786

Both times the compressor sent shrapnel or debris through the system. Had to replace a myriad of parts.
9 times out of 10 it’s usually a compressor clutch failure. I’m surprised it was the actual compressor.
Sponsored