Sponsored

Bullitt vs. GT Exhaust: Really A Difference??

OP
OP
Stangnut

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
As a means to put the sound issue to bed, so long as the group wants, I can setup a direct comparison between a Bullitt and a GT with active exhaust. I can have a video up by the end of next week.
Please do. That's what this entire thread is actually about. Debating what makes them sound different is pointless if there isn't proof they actually do.

Looking forward to your video. Please include drive-bys if possible since that would be a more real world comparison.
Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Guess I should've been more clear in my OP. First and foremost is whether the Bullitt really sounds different than a GT with active exhaust. It's much less important why they sound different. Especially since it hasn't been proven they do. And it would have to an obvious difference. Not a slight and debatable difference.
Oh, that's different. Of course they do, and noticeably so due to the different intake.

Now, that's not surprising. The base EcoBoost is noticeably different from an EcoBoost with Active Exhaust which is noticeably different from a base GT which is noticeably different from a GT with AE which is noticeably different from a Bullitt which is noticeably different from a GT350. They're all "unique".

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Guess I should've been more clear in my OP. First and foremost is whether the Bullitt really sounds different than a GT with active exhaust. It's much less important why they sound different. Especially since it hasn't been proven they do. And it would have to an obvious difference. Not a slight and debatable difference.

The answer you're looking for is Yes. The bullitt sounds different. More aggressive, more crackle and pop. Drove both with active exhaust and theres no mistaking the difference.
As for the why not being important... not sure I get that.

JoelinNOVA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 R
Anyone notice on the axle back section of our Bullitt pipes is a sticker that says BUL on it. That could possibly be the mufflers (attached to the pipes w sticker) are different.
Thoughts?
I was under cutting out the suitcase and installed the new Borla X pipe which has an X and 2 straights in the section. HUGE change very deep and nice increase in volume. Now its sounds perfect
BTW Here is what I found after putting in the vin on fords parts site. And then clicking related parts.
Try for yourself. Go to Parts.ford.com enter your Bullitt Vin then search exhaust. once on the page that says Part# 5230 look for the related parts tab. Once that opens you will see a 5230A and 5230B. Different prices and build dates. Doesn't make clear why different.
May explain the BUL on my exhaust and most likely yours.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
owning an Crimson red 18 GT PP w/active exhaust and a 19 Bullitt mustang with active exhaust ..I can Confirm Both cars have totally different sound and the volume of both exhaust with cars on track mode are night and day .the bullitt is quite loud outside the car and crackles and pops unlike any american car i have ever heard

Sponsored

psg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, GMC Sierra Denali 6.2l, Lotus Super 7, Aprilia Tuono 1100 RR, BMW HP2S. BMW 750LiX
owning an Crimson red 18 GT PP w/active exhaust and a 19 Bullitt mustang with active exhaust ..I can Confirm Both cars have totally different sound and the volume of both exhaust with cars on track mode are night and day .the bullitt is quite loud outside the car and crackles and pops unlike any american car i have ever heard
Is the active exhaust not controlled by the ECU? Therefore the Algorithm can control when and how much the butterfly valve is open depending on rpm, throttle opening etc. as well as fueling and ignition, to give you a much snap, crackle and pop and noise as you want, the Bullitt having its own algorithm as the Ford engineer said.

Stu

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
Both butterflies open even idle is totally different volumes ,the bullitt is loud just cruising at 50-70 the gt is still good sound but not untill 6k up does it really make any real noise . I may have to video them both

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Both butterflies open even idle is totally different volumes ,the bullitt is loud just cruising at 50-70 the gt is still good sound but not untill 6k up does it really make any real noise . I may have to video them both
Odd... Considering they have the same muffler

dagobert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost , Ford S-Max, Mustang Bullitt since 07/2019
Vehicle Showcase
For the export models I can say that a difference between GT and Bullitt is more wishful thinking than reality. They both sound great and massive. There might be slight differences in sound because of the intakes are different. And the exhaust will be even louder over time. My neighbors Corvette 6 sounds really tame against my Bullitt. But sheā€™s faster.
Merry Christmas and a happy new year
Michael

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So did a Bullitt owner turn off via FORScan ā€˜enhanced soundā€™ to finally put how much sound is ā€˜piped inā€™ thru the speakers to rest? If not, Iā€™d do it myself for the team :D.

Sponsored

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
I'm pretty sure the GT350 intake runners are shorter not longer. The F150's are longer.

Shorter = better high rpm HP. Longer = better low rpm TQ.
I think you have it backwards. Look at the GT350 intake runners. Definitely longer.

SD-Harley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K6752

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Look at the GT350 intake runners. Definitely longer.
Yep. That's also why our cars don't have an engine cover; it doesn't fit. But glad, since I like it better that way. Ha ha. Which I'd have preferred is a closed intake, but supposedly that different intake is what gives the Bullitts a better sound, so I'm fine with that now. But I'm sure it'll be a lot noisier at WOT than with a closed intake; not a big fan of intake noise. Exhaust yes. But not intake :D.

Yeah, I was participating in that thread, but the guy never reported differences in every mode (on the quiet mode, as soon as you get the rpm a bit up, the noise returns).

Going back to the thread title, I think a second test of a GT with AE vs a Bullitt 'DE-NOISED' (ha ha), meaning no sound tube and fake sound disabled, would be in order :D. And included in that a drive-by at different speeds, throttle openings, etc., to judge if the difference is just inside, or outside as well.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Going back to the thread title, I think a second test of a GT with AE vs a Bullitt 'DE-NOISED' (ha ha), meaning no sound tube and fake sound disabled, would be in order :D.
The Bullitt doesn't have the sound tube (the GT350 inlet doesn't have an attachment point for it) which is why it has the synthesized sound added to the speakers.

You know, that presents an interesting question. The Ford Performance tune for the 2018+ GTs changes the inlet to one that also doesn't have a sound tube port and the install includes removal of the tube. I wonder if the FP tune adds the synthesized sound to the mix.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The Bullitt doesn't have the sound tube.
I know. That's exactly why I said the GT without the tube, and the Bullitt with the fake sound disabled. Read my post again :D. That'd be apples with apples; no artificial sound on either car. THAT would be the way to test them :). And with a listener outside, to judge sound differences at different speeds/throttle openings on fly-byes.

At any rate, was going to mess with FORScan today, but didn't have a chance. Hopefully on the weekend. I have 2 ideas to enable the oil temperature gauge on the options; hopefully one of the 2 will work, so I don't have to buy the GT350 gauges. And will try to add the numerical values on top as well. Hope to succeed :D. Will also disable the fake sound and report back on that.
Sponsored