Sponsored

Short throw causing rattling/Do you have an OEM setup?

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
Hey guys. I posted in the Southeast section in hopes of maybe meeting someone experienced in short throw shifters in the Charlotte/Denver area. 2 weeks ago I bought my 2016 GTPP manual from a used dealer, and on the test drive I mentioned that this was a short throw shifter and that there was drivetrain noise. Ford confirmed today after diagnosing it that it was indeed the short throw causing a rattling sound, and maybe difficulty shifting. Which means that this is not covered under my drivetrain warranty.

So, I'm having Ford quote me parts and labor to install a new one, because I have no idea what's in there, and I'm going to try and fight the dealer to pay for any shop costs from Ford.

My other option was to maybe find the OEM parts that I need, and work with someone from this forum on it if they were willing to tackle it with me, and maybe there is someone on here with an old OEM setup who has upgraded. Any help/advice is appreciated.
Sponsored

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
"Maybe difficulty shifting"..............expand on that.

I have the Ford Racing short throw shifter and at the same time I installed an aftermarket transmission bushing mount and shifter base bushing. At first I was getting a rattling in the stock reverse lockout (only at a certain rpm). I lived with it for a while until I started researching some different fixes.

I ended up buying the Barton aluminum reverse lockout collar. That made about 90% of it go away and then later I got a weighted shift knob, which completely eliminated any rattling.

There are fixes for the rattle..........difficulty shifting is a whole other issue, but it maybe something very simple once looked at.