Sponsored

2020 GT500 Governed Top Speed of 180MPH

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX, 2014 Honda VFR800F
Putting a limiter on a car like this is very rare/odd...especially in the "arms race" of modern performance cars. No other competitor to this car does this. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

I can't see it being tires, either. Everyone knows that tires are the single best/most important aspect of ANY car. You wouldn't crutch a "halo" car with tires that aren't up to the task.

Honestly, I just hope there isn't an underlying issue on why the limiter was actually implemented. This is obviously apples to oranges, but look what happened when the S197 3.7 Mustang came out. People wondered (myself included, as I had one at the time) why a great performing car was saddled with such a hilarious speed limiter. We all found out why Ford did that...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Putting a limiter on a car like this is very rare/odd...especially in the "arms race" of modern performance cars. No other competitor to this car does this. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

I can't see it being tires, either. Everyone knows that tires are the single best/most important aspect of ANY car. You wouldn't crutch a "halo" car with tires that aren't up to the task.

Honestly, I just hope there isn't an underlying issue on why the limiter was actually implemented. This is obviously apples to oranges, but look what happened when the S197 3.7 Mustang came out. People wondered (myself included, as I had one at the time) why a great performing car was saddled with such a hilarious speed limiter. We all found out why Ford did that...
Good point. It probably isn't a driveshaft issue, but it could be an issue with the DCT.

I'm mostly inclined to think that tires/factor of safety is the reason though. I seem to remember that Vipers lost tires during Nurburgring record attempts. That could spoil your whole day losing a tire at speed.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Can’t believe it would be the tires.

This is really a crock of sh!t. Halo car speed limited by a governor. If this is true and not just a statement taken out of context it’s a big disappointment.

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
yes, yes! more and more of you NOT buying the car because its governed well above your ability.. freeing up the market nicely. Well done Ford, well done

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I suppose if someone wanted to go over 180, couldn’t they simply adjust that with a tune?

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I suppose if someone wanted to go over 180, couldn’t they simply adjust that with a tune?
And we have a winner ! Come on down, your the next contestant of the "common sense show !"

This debate is interesting but sort of meh as well. Most people will never even attempt 180 in the car. The others who will track it will get close to 180, but already knows what could happen at those speeds and will be mindful of how the car performs. The half mile guys will not be stock to begin with, and if not modded, I doubt the car can do 180 in stock form to a half mile. The rest will say screw it, tune it, and STILL probably will never see 180. So yeah, interesting but in truth, to 90% of the people who will buy the car, pointless.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Not everyone would want to risk their warranty.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Not everyone would want to risk their warranty.
So driving 180 on a public road is a smart thing to do?
And how many are able to drive 180 at a track?
And if you can do it at the track, it’s most likely not stock anyhow.

Sponsored

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black
I think everyone should be outraged and not buy a gt500. I’ll definitely get a msrp or better deal then.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Ford may have re-geared the car to impress even more in acceleration. It may be governed only slightly if that is the case. The argument about downforce making the Track Pack slower than the base car may be partially true, but not the full story. The top speed isn’t really an issue unless you drive on the autobahn every day.

0-60 and even more so 1/4 mile will be interesting. Gears are a necessity if Ford is serious about exorcising demons. I’d take a faster accelerating GT500 any day. Run up to 150 real quick, enjoy your victory, then run through In-N-Out as you head home full of pride...and burgers.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I’d take a faster accelerating GT500 any day. Run up to 150 real quick, enjoy your victory, then run through In-N-Out as you head home full of pride...and burgers.
This (if I could afford it and had the bug to buy one). To me, acceleration is the fun part of having a powerful car. That is why I like the 3.73 gears. I couldn’t care less about going over 150. I won’t say how fast I’ve been but it’s well below the limiter.

With the GT500 limited to 180, it won’t interfere with anyone taking it to the drag strip. Not sure about track days because I’m not familiar with those speeds, but I doubt that too. I think much of it comes down to marketing, bragging rights, etc. Hennessey is now trying to build the first 300 mph road car. Have mercy...
Sponsored