'17 V6 Build - I bought a Mustang?!?!?!

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Let me know how it works for you! My house will likely not have enough height for a full lift as well so I am considering something like what you liked above.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Let me know how it works for you! My house will likely not have enough height for a full lift as well so I am considering something like what you liked above.
I will. After all the research I did, I have no doubt it will work just fine in my current shop. Right now Iā€™m maintaining and working on two Mustangs, ā€˜12 F150, and the full size Bronco project plus the frame off on the 84 Gmc 4x4 short bed.

Plan is to add another shop right next to current building. 25x40 with 14ft ceilings and a full size 2 post lift. Odds are that will be next Spring or Falll.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
F80B8F30-E390-49E2-AFBC-EC7591F9D2BF.jpeg
43EDBA23-00F0-4730-B862-7374E391B756.jpeg
Got lucky and scored this spoiler for a great deal. Will paint it to match when I can free up some time.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
So I got the car back to the 1/4 mile track on Saturday. Had stuff I had to do later in the day, only got a few runs. This is on MT Street R Bias play tires (28" tall). Also pulled fuse 62 so I didn't have to worry about turning off Advance track or traction control. Car FELL on it's face when shifting. No missed shifts - it wasn't clutch slip per se - but I swear it's flywheel (dual mass junk) or clutch related. No slips at high RPMs when pulling, just on the recovery from the shift itself. ET was 14 something at like 100mph. Made another pass to make sure it wasn't me. Same thing. That's with the 93 Octane MPT tune updated for long tubes. I flashed to the MPT 91 octane tune (also updated for long tubes) and proceeded to run a 13.6 @ 103mph. Still doesn't feel right right after making shifts but picking up almost 3mph on trap speed is significant.That's with a 2.0X 60 ft time. The 28" tall tire (that hooks - ZERO tire spin on launch at 5K + RPM and quick release of the clutch) I think is hurting me with the 3.55 gears.

Hope to be done with selling my old house this week then I can concentrate on getting my MaxJax installed in my shop.

Next up is Spec Steel flywheel, Spec Stage 2+ clutch / pressure plate and I'm leaning towards going from my swapped in 3.55 differential to 3.73 gears. Shopping install prices now.
I can get Ford Performance 3.73 gears with install kit etc for @ $300. If I can find someone locally who will install the gears for a decent price (I'd be removing the complete IRS carrier and bringing it to them to install the gears) I will go this route. If not - I'll likely just pull the trigger on a Torsen 3.73 complete carrier. I can get one shipped to me for @ $700. Still deciding, since if I replace the complete carrier (like I did when I installed the current Ford Performance 3.55 carrier - acquired used) I can recoup some investment by selling the 3.55 carrier.

$700-$400 = $300 invested in upgrading to 3.73 gears.
$300+labor - not recoup if installing gears in current carrier.

After that, I have to move on to the '93 Bronco project and get it in the shop. Looking towards Procharging the car either Winter or early Spring depending. Might put it off a few months so I can get a bigger shop built.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Found a local shop that specializes in Mustangs. Told me if I bring him the carrier and Ford Racing gears / install kit, he'd do the job on the bench for $250. Sounds good to me. Ordered the 3.73 gears and install kit and they are on the way. Dyno tune update for the long tubes is scheduled for 4/9. Getting ready to order the Spec steel flywhee and Spec Stage 2 clutch and an OEM slave / release bearing.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure you'll like it either way, especially since you're going for drag times, but I love the way the Torsen feels in a turn now. Is the dyno tune update going to be with your local guy again or to revise with MPT?

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure you'll like it either way, especially since you're going for drag times, but I love the way the Torsen feels in a turn now. Is the dyno tune update going to be with your local guy again or to revise with MPT?
The problem was the cost benefit on the Torsen. I've got feelers out with a bunch of friends and the absolute cheapest (taking in account shipping to VA) I've seen lately on a 3.73 Torsen differential was $750. And that's used - so you always take that risk with used parts. I'll be in for @ $550 to get my current (which is a Ford Performance 3.55 carrier) geared to 3.73 and I have a local guy who wants the gears. I could have tried to score a 3.73 complete take out, then recoup some costs by selling my current carrier - it would have saved me $150 at most - not to mention having to deal with likely shipping the 3.55 carrier.

I'm on the fence with MPT right now. It might be an issue with my car in particular, who knows, because I know the vast majority of 3.7 owners are more than happy with MPT. The 93 MPT tune has never run better for me than the 91 MPT tune. Even though I ALWAYS fill up with 93 Octane quality gas (Sunoco, Shell etc). I even tried changing gas stations. MPT revised the 93 Octane tune last year, when I data logged at the track and they told me this:

"The first thing I see if related to fuel quality. Your log at the track shows an after adjustment average of 16-19*. 21* is the minimum I expect to see on good quality 93 octane fuel and anything above that means more power to the wheels. The first thing I would do is consider changing where you get your 93 to see if there is a better quality available. Not all stations are equal. Usually top tier stations like chevron provide the most power and the cheapest in town is almost always the lowest in power to the wheels. This is adjusted based on the log. Iā€™d like to see another quarter mile log with this tune loaded and better fuel in the tank."

It might very well be something with my car - who knows. I'm very tempted to try some octane booster and hit the track again. It's not like I'm using crappy gas - to tell the truth it's a bit frustrating.

I paid $25 to get a tune update with MPT for the long tubes. Ended up running faster at the track with the 91 octane tune over the 93 octane tune. But the guy who dyno tuned me is going to put it back on the dyno and update the tune and I'll of course see what it's putting down now - and he's doing for it a good price.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
It does sound like it would be a fuel quality issue though if the 91 tune on 93 gas is running better than the 93 tune. I don't see why the timing would be even lower though, that part makes no sense. Do you have anything else that might be hitting along the exhaust to cause false knock? But again, that should be consistent across the board instead of 93 vs 91 tune. I know my STB was causing some issues before and my transmission might be tapping something on hard shifts because it'll reset the knock sensor sometimes.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
It does sound like it would be a fuel quality issue though if the 91 tune on 93 gas is running better than the 93 tune. I don't see why the timing would be even lower though, that part makes no sense. Do you have anything else that might be hitting along the exhaust to cause false knock? But again, that should be consistent across the board instead of 93 vs 91 tune. I know my STB was causing some issues before and my transmission might be tapping something on hard shifts because it'll reset the knock sensor sometimes.
Notice he mentioned nothing about knock. It's just total timing. I'm going to start data logging here shortly and get it figured out. I'm very tempted to show up to next week's Friday night test and tune and throw some Octanium or Boostane in the tank and see what happens.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Notice he mentioned nothing about knock. It's just total timing. I'm going to start data logging here shortly and get it figured out. I'm very tempted to show up to next week's Friday night test and tune and throw some Octanium or Boostane in the tank and see what happens.
They never mentioned anything about knock for mine either when it was up to +7 so that doesn't mean it isn't there...Check the logs yourself and see what shows up. After removing the STB, it immediately went down 2* of knock for me. Fixing up the exhaust tips and removing the cats cleaned up the rest and now it'll peak around 2 briefly and that's usually after a hard shift. For my "quarter mile" log at 6800 RPMs, my spark advance on is 25.5 before the 4-5 shift and 28 before the 3-4 shift.

Your numbers will be different, but point is that initially I got stuff about fuel quality being bad, but they never mentioned knock. I saw it myself when I checked the logs.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
They never mentioned anything about knock for mine either when it was up to +7 so that doesn't mean it isn't there...Check the logs yourself and see what shows up. After removing the STB, it immediately went down 2* of knock for me. Fixing up the exhaust tips and removing the cats cleaned up the rest and now it'll peak around 2 briefly and that's usually after a hard shift. For my "quarter mile" log at 6800 RPMs, my spark advance on is 25.5 before the 4-5 shift and 28 before the 3-4 shift.

Your numbers will be different, but point is that initially I got stuff about fuel quality being bad, but they never mentioned knock. I saw it myself when I checked the logs.
I'll check the logs I sent him - but I went back through everything and realized something. When I was troubleshooting an issue with my SYNC 3 swap, I changed some settings in FORSCAN back to stock. I had previously changed the gear ration in the BCM. Sitting i the car now, after flashing back to stock tune, using FORSCAN to make the change to 3.55 gears, plus I went ahead and corrected for my tire size, did the PCM relearn, waiting on the MPT 93 octane tune to flash right now.

I've got to find my power inverter for the car, since my laptop battery is pretty much dead, so I can run some logs on the 93 tune and see what's going on with the car.

I am going to add some Octanium to the half tank of Shell 93 octane I have now and see if it makes a difference. Appreciate the input. I honestly can't wait to get my lift installed in my shop (anchor kit came in today) so I can drop the carrier and drop it off to get the 3.73's installed (on the way already) and go ahead and get the Spec flywheel and clutch installed.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Okay so warmer weather means time to get busy. Hoping to get my MaxJax lift installed, up and running in my shop this weekend. Spec Stage 2 clutch and pressure plate arrived, Ford Performance 3.73 gears and install kit arrived, Spec steel flywheel on the way. I'm going to do the clutch and drop the rear end all at the same time. Also went ahead and ordered both GT350 rear axles and new Timken rear wheel hubs. I want to take it apart once and be done.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Got the MaxJax mocked up for install. Heading out to take a look at another full size Bronco which has all the things already done to it I want to do - so that may save me some time and money. Car goes in for dyno tune update on Tuesday. Hoping to get the lift install and get all these parts installed
IMG_1659.jpeg
IMG_1660.jpeg

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Picked up the '95 Bronco. That makes three LOL. Been working on sorting out previous owner "wiring upgrades" and replacing the door glass and steering column.
I did manage to get the Mustang to my tuner. He picked up a good chunk of power over the MPT 93PRX that was revised for long tubes. Again, I've communicated with my tuner I'm not interested in dyno numbers - because honestly they vary so much (weather, operator, dyno brand, smoothing, setup etc etc) but I made it clear I am looking for power all along the curve - as this is my daily driver.

3rd gear pull got me close to 300 RWHP. But the power under the curve was a pretty big difference. I've got the sheet in my car, need to get it and scan it in and post it.

I want to try and get it to the track with this tune, but the dual mass flywheel and factory clutch have me on the fence. I think I might wait until I get the new clutch / flywheel and gears installed.

The car is insanely fun to drive now for sure. Funny thing is that gas mileage has gone up LOL. I drive it hard and it's been getting around 22mpg combined with 60/40 city vs highway.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Did you do runs comparing the MPT and the dyno tunes? Be interesting to see how they compare but glad to hear you're closing in on that 300rwhp number. I want to get back on the same dyno I used before to see (somewhat, the weather will likely be completely different) what difference clearing up my false knock and cat deletes ended up making, my main goal was just to be at 300, but I'm pretty happy with performance whether I'm actually there or not.

How are you enjoying the updated exhaust note compared to how it was before the Tru-X?
Sponsored