tex929rr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Are you a Ford guy?

The Raptor thread got me thinking about this. I was never much of a brand loyalist for cars (although we owned nothing but Honda motorcycles for a long time). In 1999 I bought our first Ford, a Super Duty Crew Cab with a V10 and 5 speed manual (had to special order it). I still have that truck today and use it as a daily driver. I figure it’s good until I can’t climb up into it any more. In 2015 we decided to replace our Acura TSX with something with a bigger back seat. We settled on an Escape Titanium with an EcoBoost. I can’t believe how nice it is, and we paid almost exactly the same price as what the TSX had cost us 8 years before. Then two years later I traded in my 05 Corvette for the GT350, suddenly becoming an all Ford family (at least as far as daily drivers go).

So I never had one of those brand name loyalties - each of these vehicles was the right one based on the merits. But sudenly I’m an all-Ford guy. And pretty happy about it.

And if I had the money to burn I could definitely see me buying a Raptor.
Sponsored

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Are you a Ford guy?

The Raptor thread got me thinking about this. I was never much of a brand loyalist for cars (although we owned nothing but Honda motorcycles for a long time). In 1999 I bought our first Ford, a Super Duty Crew Cab with a V10 and 5 speed manual (had to special order it). I still have that truck today and use it as a daily driver. I figure it’s good until I can’t climb up into it any more. In 2015 we decided to replace our Acura TSX with something with a bigger back seat. We settled on an Escape Titanium with an EcoBoost. I can’t believe how nice it is, and we paid almost exactly the same price as what the TSX had cost us 8 years before. Then two years later I traded in my 05 Corvette for the GT350, suddenly becoming an all Ford family (at least as far as daily drivers go).

So I never had one of those brand name loyalties - each of these vehicles was the right one based on the merits. But sudenly I’m an all-Ford guy. And pretty happy about it.

And if I had the money to burn I could definitely see me buying a Raptor.
I’m 48. I’ve owned nothing but fords my whole life. I’ve owner over 30 vehicles from 1940s ford trucks to my 2018 GT350R and everything in between. I even own a 1946 ford tractor lol.
I will never own anything but a ford car or truck. It’s just to bad ford doesn’t reward loyal customers. I don’t like the fact that a non ford owner can go buy a new ford vehicle and get a discount / rebate. Oh well.

RogV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 F150 Lariat SuperCrew, 1970 Mustang Mach 1, 1967 Fairlane GTA, 1957 T-Bird & more.
I'm definitely a Ford guy. Not too neutral because I'm a retired Ford engineer and wouldn't "bite the hand that feeds me". Some would say if it was a used vehicle, I could justify a Brand X as that money is not going to a competitor. Some years ago, my wife just had to have a '57 Chevy and a '60 Corvette. Regardless of being hers, I got beat-up by the Ford people for a couple of years. I got rid of her wishes a couple years ago for which I claimed "I finally cleansed by garage!". While having over forty cars and trucks over the years, "we" currently have eight with the ninth on order (2019 GT).

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Not a Ford guy at all. Heard of the GT350R through the forums and discussions of other sports cars. Didn’t believe the car was real or assumed it was just a concept car. Found out it was real. Bought it.

The awkward thing is it strikes up conversations from people telling me about memories of their old Ford or Mustang I’ve never heard of. I distinctly remember a guy enamored by my car telling me about his “Fox body”. I had no idea what a “fox body” was and he could tell from the confused look on my face. So while sitting there in the R I just go “sorry I’m not really familiar with Mustangs”.

Sponsored

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Not at all.

I've always liked Mustangs growing up. When I bought my first "new" car the current Mustang offerings didn't look the part for me. Instead bought a Subaru.

I would buy a Raptor and that's about it besides the current Mustang offerings.

Even the Mustang purchase was compared against used 911 Turbos. The potential maintenance costs of the Porsche were off putting.

MYKE350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150 4x4,2020 Explorer ST, 2020 GT500
HELL YEAH!!!...I also get to choose the brand of my company truck.(FORD)

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
As Sublime had mentioned, life is too short to be brand loyal. The 350 is the first Mustang I ever cared for. Would I buy another premium Mustang? Not if the quality is as shitty as it is on the S550 platform. I’ll move upmarket to a 911 or C8.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Not a Ford guy at all. Heard of the GT350R through the forums and discussions of other sports cars. Didn’t believe the car was real or assumed it was just a concept car. Found out it was real. Bought it.

The awkward thing is it strikes up conversations from people telling me about memories of their old Ford or Mustang I’ve never heard of. I distinctly remember a guy enamored by my car telling me about his “Fox body”. I had no idea what a “fox body” was and he could tell from the confused look on my face. So while sitting there in the R I just go “sorry I’m not really familiar with Mustangs”.
You’d better study up then.

Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
You’d better study up then.
Honestly I’ve tried. Maybe this is a chance for someone to enlighten me about the appeal of Fords or Mustangs prior to the GT350 though. From my perspective, you’ve got a bunch of different sports cars from the previous era lined up in front of you. You’re given the chance to have any of them, but your eyes light up and your heart leaps as you say “oh man, I’ll take that heavy one with poor weight distribution, a low-revving engine with miserable volumetric efficiency using an outdated valve train system, and a solid rear axle to make sure I can’t turn properly. Screw the air cooled 911 or E30 M3.” That’s how I’ve had trouble seeing the appeal.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Honestly I’ve tried. Maybe this is a chance for someone to enlighten me about the appeal of Fords or Mustangs prior to the GT350 though. From my perspective, you’ve got a bunch of different sports cars from the previous era lined up in front of you. You’re given the chance to have any of them, but your eyes light up and your heart leaps as you say “oh man, I’ll take that heavy one with poor weight distribution, a low-revving engine with miserable volumetric efficiency using an outdated valve train system, and a solid rear axle to make sure I can’t turn properly. Screw the air cooled 911 or E30 M3.” That’s how I’ve had trouble seeing the appeal.
If you continue driving your GT350, over time you’ll get into enough discussions with Mustang people at meets, assuming you go, you’ll learn enough to be able to carry on a conversation. If you don’t attend events like cars and coffee, I suggest you go because nowhere else will you get more educated on the Mustang culture. Otherwise don’t sweat the history. Just be glad you were driving the best Mustang ever.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
True. Having said all that, I'm in the process of moving, and despite already being double boxed the owner's package just got put into the things I'll move myself pile haha.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Yup. I've been a Ford guy my whole life. The vast majority of my vehicles have been Fords, and those that weren't were mostly cars purchased while stationed overseas.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
You sound like a real prick.
Sponsored