OP
OP
NickBlack

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
How much of an improvement double? One third? I’m a hugeeee JL guy. This interest me on curiosity

JL has an 10tw3 shallow mount too.
Sounds twice as good in opinion! Love JL as well. This is a great speaker..needs a better amp to really get the most out of it I'm sure, but it still sounds twice as good as the stock sub even with the stock amplifier.
Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
I bought a JL Stealthbox for our car (12tw3) I havnt had a chance to install yet. Had I had a 10 enclosure stock like you guys I prob would of done the same thing as you and left it at that.

I won’t be using 1/3 of my subs power. I bet that upgrade you did will fill the void you had just fine.

OP
OP
NickBlack

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Sweet, that should sound deep with the 12's!

Yeah, I'm very satisfied. Definitely sounds way better!

Groovy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 700A Tremec Oxford White
What speaker grill did you use? Got a pic of it install in your car?

Sponsored

OP
OP
NickBlack

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
I didn't get a grill yet, I think JL has one for it. for now it's just open.
Here's a pic
speaker.jpg
Just in case others want to use this speaker, I had to dremel down the plastic bumps around the stock sub box so the JL speaker would sit flush.
I used the sand paper bit to sand down the plastic.
Wasn't hard just an extra 15 min

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Thanks for the info...so not exactly plug and play especially if you want to go back to stock?

Groovy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't get a grill yet, I think JL has one for it. for now it's just open.
Here's a pic
speaker.jpg
Thanks! Was there a reason why you chose a 4ohm vs 2ohm? It appears the OEM was a 2 voice coil. Just not sure what impedance.

OP
OP
NickBlack

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Thanks! Was there a reason why you chose a 4ohm vs 2ohm? It appears the OEM was a 2 voice coil. Just not sure what impedance.
I thought the OEM was 4ohm..oops...would a 2ohm sound better?
I guess if I want to upgrade the whole system later it's better with a 4ohm...I'm not very adept in stereo know how...any advice is appreciated!

Groovy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
QUOTE="NickBlack, post: 2488096, member: 35486"]I thought the OEM was 4ohm..oops...would a 2ohm sound better?
I guess if I want to upgrade the whole system later it's better with a 4ohm...I'm not very adept in stereo know how...any advice is appreciated![/QUOTE]
Maybe. I honestly don't know the OEM stereo speaker specs. Not sure it would be worth the $ to swap to a 2 ohm in your case. Especially if you are satisfied with the sound. For me the stock sub is horrible! Anything would be better...
4 ohm should be safe. You don't want to go lower impedance than the amp can handle or it can damage it if you really keep it cranked up. The JL Stealthbox is 2ohm. But, their instructions don't give any wiring diagrams. The rule for good sound is to match the impedance of the amp and speakers. Also, if you can match RMS watts of your amp(s) and speaker(s) it will sound incredible. Efficient is key. You don't need a ton of power for good sound.
Here is a link that explains impedance. https://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/31-OHMS_AND_IMPEDANCE_FROM_THE_OUTPUT_SPEAKER_PERSPECTIVE.html

Sponsored
OP
OP
NickBlack

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Thank you! I'll read this and get educated a bit.
Definitely happier with the bass sound now. In the future I may change out the stock speakers in the cabin and add a really good amp to push them.

Berry79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 S550
Very nice!! Been thinking about doing the same but, wish there was more info on that stock amp and speaker. Looks like the factory speaker is a dvc with the amp having a harness for each voice coil. Is the factory speaker a 4 ohm dvc speaker with a 2 ohm load at the amp or is the speaker a 2 ohm dvc with the amp supplying a 2 ohm load to each voice coil individually?

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Just going to bump this wondering if there is more info ? Op have any access to a multimeter? A $2 unit off amazon will tell the ohms. Maybe I’ll just pull mine out and check. Interested in upgrading the sub if it makes any difference but I’ll still be adding a 12w6v3 with a 600/1 to really give the low end a push. Anyone know where the amp is for the sub ?

Nikujaga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Hey guys,
Hoping more experienced dudes can chime in to help confirm.

Got a 2019 GT with 401A B&O system. Sounds pretty good, better than Shaker for sure...but Subwoofer wasn't a tight bass sound that I'm used to with systems.
Added Poly fill to the enclosure which helped tighten the sound up a bit, but still wasn't happy.
I Bought a JL 10W1v3-4 Subwoofer Driver 4 ohm 300w (These are 10 inch subs in the B&O) and I'm ready to install it.

Question I have is about wiring the stock connectors to the Positive and Negative input on the JL sub.

Do I just combine the Black & Green Wires together and connect to the Negative input on JL?
And combine the Purple and Yellow wires to the Positive Input on the JL?

Pics below of enclosure, stock sub and JL sub comparison and connectors.
Thanks!
sub 1.jpg
Sub stock vs JL.jpg
Sub stock vs JL 2.jpg
Sub stock vs JL 3.jpg
Sub stock vs JL 4.jpg
Wiring sub.jpg

Sub 2.jpg
Hi, That JL sub looks substantial and I bet it tightens up the bass. Do you think you could post a picture of the underside of the rear speakers from inside the trunk, would love to see the magnet structures on those?

doph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Z28, 2019 GT PP1 w/ MT6, MR
Just in case others want to use this speaker, I had to dremel down the plastic bumps around the stock sub box so the JL speaker would sit flush.
I used the sand paper bit to sand down the plastic.
Wasn't hard just an extra 15 min
How did the stock front trim ring and grill come off? I started to pry off the ring but felt like it was going to break off...

Thanks
Sponsored