Sponsored

Should I be worried - interior windscreen condensation (again!)?

fguan992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
If I were u, I would let the dealership leave the car outside and wait for it to rain since the dash was out. Looking at the location of the grommet and only leaked after extensive water test, it's highly unlikely that grommet would let that much water in enough to soak the carpet when there's a drain below the windshield. Thats just my opinion.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Dash back in. Celebrating with a pizza and few ciders right now :dance:

I reckon middle of next week i’ll be collecting!

6F89B404-8122-4F96-A8C2-13DA17B95693.jpeg
32821105-BC9C-4064-8AD5-03E01D9AB4AA.jpeg
508377F3-9EA5-4062-9BBA-31174F2CB936.jpeg

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hi Kristian,

Glad to hear this has finally been got the bottom of, although I'm surprised that given its the "firewall grommet issue" they didn't figure it out sooner. Basically its the same issue I had and several other peeps. You've really been put through the wringer on this one - sounds like the car has too, to dry it out!
Anyway, chuffed for you its sorted. Can spend your days worrying about something else now!

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
Kristian glad that you are now on the last lap. No doubt you will be checking operation of every piece of equipment & all functions. Did you get a new carpet? My Skoda leaked onto the rubber footwell mat. Even though the carpet did not get wet dealer told me the delay was for a new carpet. Perhaps it got wet in the leak detection process. Perhaps best if you dial the pressure back on your washer from now on. I wash underside just with water pressure alone & pressure wash annually after winter is over.
I've also had a vehicle completely rebuilt under warranty. My Morgan Threewheeler suffered a fractured chassis tube. It was completely stripped & rebuilt on a new chassis frame. This took 12 weeks with no compensation offer. Another owner had two new chassis & those rebuilds took 3 weeks.

Tim

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Kristian glad that you are now on the last lap. No doubt you will be checking operation of every piece of equipment & all functions. Did you get a new carpet? My Skoda leaked onto the rubber footwell mat. Even though the carpet did not get wet dealer told me the delay was for a new carpet. Perhaps it got wet in the leak detection process. Perhaps best if you dial the pressure back on your washer from now on. I wash underside just with water pressure alone & pressure wash annually after winter is over.
I've also had a vehicle completely rebuilt under warranty. My Morgan Threewheeler suffered a fractured chassis tube. It was completely stripped & rebuilt on a new chassis frame. This took 12 weeks with no compensation offer. Another owner had two new chassis & those rebuilds took 3 weeks.

Tim
No new carpet. In fairness it wasn’t the carpet that took the hit - it was the sound deadening behind the dash, now it’s dry i’m sure it’s fine - water no way near as significant as last time.

@Count Drunkula - it was more a case of addressing the issue thoroughly. It was one of the first things they looked at when they got the car in january. A little extra seam sealer didn’t cut it apparantly, so they went for a generous helping of tiger seal on either side! As the wiring looms were coming out, that was the main driver behind the time delays. They essenitally had to pause for 5 weeks or so.

I won’t be forgetting the fact I specifically asked think ford guildford to look at the grommet last year, they obviously didn’t fix it well enough (if they even tried).

Like a slowly unraveling crime case, i’m now of the opinion that last year I did have a separate issue - a seam failure somewhere on the A pillar, which looks to have been resolved by Guildford - that caused a small swimming pool in the footwells, whereas the grommet issue was much more subtle. Still, Guildford did a piss poor job overall and actually, may have turned out to be a blessing in disguise - how else would I have known I had corrosion in my wiring?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Well hello there front seats...

9A3F10E5-407D-4B18-969B-26D6BA3EEBC9.jpeg

And what’s that? Oh just my shiny new exhaust! :inlove:

AA81E247-CB82-4152-827C-EFE1E2436776.jpeg
5D5F1264-4043-4D6E-820F-3541F3141D58.jpeg

I’d say i’m buzzing, but full of cold right now, so not so much. I reckong Weds/Thurs will be collection day :rockon:

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.
You bringing her home today?

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You bringing her home today?
Don't know yet mate. I got a message from them yesterday evening to say they didn't manage to get anything/much done yesterday - engineer had to be pulled on to another job. Fair considering the guy has been at it solidly for a week!

From the photos and what I understand there can't be more than half a days actual work to do. Obviously needs to be checked & tested before handing back, but I'm expecting either today/tomorrow.:sunglasses:

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Almost there!

"Paul is back on your car now until it is finished. Not too much more to do to be honest, we have a few fixings & a bit of trim to come tomorrow and he’s going to sort the oil light side of things out today as well.

Dash cam is also fitted & with everything in situ the OBD connector sits neatly so no issues there.

Oh and last but not least, I did hear him start it up this morning, oh my word! It sounds pretty special :) "

They've suggested Friday pickup, but I've asked for tomorrow pm if possible. Got full day of detailing to do - no time to waste!

Dying to hear that exhaust :inlove:

Stuart0202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Can't wait to hear this exhaust and see some pictures of it freshly cleaned after all this time!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Can't wait to hear this exhaust and see some pictures of it freshly cleaned after all this time!
Prepare to be swamped with photos & videos over the coming days :crackup:

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
I think Id be putting a 1000 miles on her first then detailing the hell out her. :like:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I think Id be putting a 1000 miles on her first then detailing the hell out her. :like:
I'm actually in agreement on this, clean the car, do a few runs leave it in the wet, make sure issue is fixed and then go in hard on detailing (Especially as ford should pay for it due to the probable amount of grime, scratches etc your car has picked up having body panels on the floor literally)

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm actually in agreement on this, clean the car, do a few runs leave it in the wet, make sure issue is fixed and then go in hard on detailing (Especially as ford should pay for it due to the probable amount of grime, scratches etc your car has picked up having body panels on the floor literally)
Yea, this will be just a thorough clean - rather than letting the dealership loose on it. I have something more in depth planned for the coming months.

But yea, for peace of mind, I do need to keep an eye on the condensation for the near future. A few cold/wet days would actually be welcome right now - that's what will give me the confidence I'm all sorted.

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
@Kristian87 you can keep your cold wet days :cwl: as long as they where you live that's fine, but leave the Midlands and Wales alone.

I might seem like a crazy detailer (which I am). But I'd always rather be driving. There's nothing that pleases me more than an empty road.
Sponsored