Can a 16 Sync 3 v3 read a USD stick

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
So I tried a basic file structure with MP3s earlier and no go. (version1) The manual speaks to plugging in my phone or a "device". Can I just plug a USB FAT32 into the USB port with MP3s and the unit will recognize the files now that I have upgraded to Version 3? Manual was not specific that I saw and my dealer is worthless. I'm thinking of canning Sirius and just bringing a few tunes for those rare time I need music. Thanks...
Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I've run a USB with normal windows formatting and mp3s and it worked fine on my base '17 and worked after the Sync 3 upgrade.

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Yes, you can play mp3 files directly off a USB flash drive formatted in fat32. Will work on all of the Sync versions. Sync can also control it with voice commands after it indexes.

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
I play mp3 and flac files from a USB stick on a daily basis with my Sync 3. It's worth noting that the file structure isn't really read. Sync reads the ID3 tags in your music to set up albums & artists. So if you have a file structure for sorting, but your ID3 tags aren't in good shape, you won't see your sorting that you've done on the USB. MP3tag is a great, free program for tag management.

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, you can play mp3 files directly off a USB flash drive formatted in fat32. Will work on all of the Sync versions. Sync can also control it with voice commands after it indexes.
My biggest complaint right now is that I can't do Sync voice commands when my iphone is plugged in and I'm running Carplay. I wish there was a button I could press to trigger the Sync voice prompt separately from Siri.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ronin5.0

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
Ok. I'm gonna Fat32 a USB and just load a bunch of songs (vs folders) and see what it does. I'll try today. Thanks everyone for the info. Also MP3 only- no FLAC etc. 2 Gig should be plenty to start. I canned Sirius. The exhaust note is typically my music. But BTO is nice for those "Highway Star" type days (lol)

Also I'll try the rear port for the music USB and save the front for the phone when I need Nav?

Last edited:

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. I'm gonna Fat32 a USB and just load a bunch of songs (vs folders) and see what it does. I'll try today. Thanks everyone for the info. Also MP3 only- no FLAC etc. 2 Gig should be plenty to start. I canned Sirius. The exhaust note is typically my music. But BTO is nice for those "Highway Star" type days (lol)

Also I'll try the rear port for the music USB and save the front for the phone when I need Nav?
Should work in either port. At least that's my experience.

OP
OP
Ronin5.0

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
Tried the rear/console port and worked fine. It does show 232 songs but also groups them based on genre, artist, album etc so a decent system. Tuned in a couple local FM rock stations as well. I won't miss Sirius at all for those few times I need tunes. This did not seem to work in v1 but v3 = no issues. Anyway, thanks to all above for the input.

SpeedRacerXT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
My biggest complaint right now is that I can't do Sync voice commands when my iphone is plugged in and I'm running Carplay. I wish there was a button I could press to trigger the Sync voice prompt separately from Siri.
Same here, it's really a PITA when I have my Pixel plugged in with Android Auto running (I have Sync 3 w/o Nav). So all voice commands are google at that point. To be able to use Sync 3 commands for whatever (USB, Sirius etc.) I have to unplug the phone. They really should have designed a simple 'switch' like double tapping the speak button in the steering wheel to fall back to Sync 3 speech input.
Sponsored