Sponsored

MEM_ERR03 When trying to update......

Stevegradu64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Thanks!

I used Acool's instructions on F150 forum. A big thanks goes out to Acool. Thanks ahornsfan for directing attention to F150 forums. The link didn't work for me, by the way. So I had to dig around.

Here is Acool's write up. Skip below for steps I took.
"Ok so it worked ... I think this is the definitive way to overcome the wretched and notorious

MEM_ERR03 issue. I update the original post with more detailed instructions. But basically, if

you're on 2.2 for example, and can't install the whole 2.3 oem update without getting

MEM_ERR03, just install the voice.img file from the NAV 2.2 update. It's smaller for whatever

reason. Voice won't work, but, you'll free up enough space to install 2.3 without error and

then you'll have the proper 2.3 non nav voice package!!

Here's the install I used successfully while on 2.2, installing 2.2 Nav's voice file:
Code:

; Nav to the rescue of Non-Nav - Install this first to resolve MEM_ERR03

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = HN1T-14G391-CC
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HN1T-14G391-CC.tar.gz
Options = Delay,AutoInstall

It's crucial you reboot after doing this or you'll have way too much space used up."

Here are the steps I took this afternoon.

1. Download NAV 2.2 software from #2547 (page 170 on my laptop screen) from "NEW SYNC 3 v3.0 Build 18025 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay" discussion thread on this forum.
A. Alternative - You can download and extract prepackage 3.0 NAV version from post #18 on this thread made by Spart and skip to step 5.

2. Extract the software.

3. Delete all but HN1T-14G391-CC.tar.gz file in SyncMyRide folder

4. Edit and save the autoinstall.lst file using notepad or other text editor with below-

; Nav to the rescue of Non-Nav - Install this first to resolve MEM_ERR03

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = HN1T-14G391-CC
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HN1T-14G391-CC.tar.gz
Options = Delay,AutoInstall

5. Copy the autoinstall.lst and SycMyRider folder into your USB stick. I used 16GB FAT32 formatted one, by the way.

6. Start your car and plug in your USB stick in your car.

7. Let it go through updating system process. It took about 5 minutes for me.

8. You'll get a message that it completed.

9. Turn off car and wait few minutes.

10. Restart car.

11. You'll get down arrow symbol on screen at top right that shows update completed when you click it.

12. Reboot Sync system pressing both Power button and >> fast forward button.

13. Sync will reboot.

14. After Sync is up and running again, run Master Reset in Settings (This may not be necessary, but I did it anyway).

15. After reboot completes. Turn off car

16. Reformat USB stick and copy Sync version 2.3 non-nav or 3.0 non-nav update software. (I used version 3.0 non-nav and skipped 2.3 non-nav entirely).

17. Turn on car.

18. I turned off WiFi Sync Settings screen (This may not be necessary, but I did it anyway).

19. Plug in USB stick.

20. Wait as it updates system (Mine took about 15 minutes).

21. It'll say update complete with a message popup. I pressed Close. Wait and Sync will reboot automatically. Do not unplug USB stick.

22. Sync will run like normal, but wait. It took another about 5 minutes after the Sync rebooted that the update system message came up again.

23. This time it took about 3-5 minutes to complete.

24. I got update completed message and it said that it won't take effect until restarting car.

25. Turn off car. Restart after at later time. I restarted my car 20 minutes later.

26. You'll get update completed arrow symbol again.

27. For some reason, Android Auto icon wasn't available after update to version 3.0, but once I connected my phone to USB port, it showed up.

Some notes and background info-
A. I updated with Ford official Sync version 1.0 to 2.2 April 2017. No error messages.
B. When I tried to update to official version 2.3 is when I started getting MEM_ERR03.
C. I tried to update to official version 3.0, but still had MEM_ERR03.
D. When I checked software version the other day on my version 2.2, my Gracenote version number was missing. I know I had it after version 2.2 update because I posted completed screen shot in the discussions. I do not know when it went away. After this update, Gracenote version number is back.
I used the "fix" and then uploaded the official 3.0 from Ford site...worked flawlessly! A big THANK YOU
FYI, I used a Mac and had zero issues
Sponsored

RSTP5200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Yup. Also, I suggest using FAT32 and not exFAT. No need for a 32gb drive either, 8gb worked great.
Spart, thanks to you and Bubbadini for posting in such great detail the fix for that frustrating update issue. I was finally able to update successfully to 3.0 after much swearing and searching.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Ended up getting the error when trying the move from 2.2 to 3.0 myself tonight.

Looking at the included files on the prepackaged fix that @Spart posted up, the file is JR3T-14G391-CD.tar.gz. The file in my full Sync 3.0 folder is JR3T-14G391-BD.tar.gz.

Is that an issue? Should I just copy the one from the full folder over and update the fix install file? Mixed mentions of 2.2, 2.3, and 3.0 have me a little confused.

After doing the fix install, is that file then removed from the full install USB or is it on both sets?

Whatever the answers are to the questions above, seems like the next steps are:
  1. Start car and plug in USB with file set one to install the one file.
  2. Let it update
  3. Turn off car, wait 5 minutes
  4. Restart car
  5. Confirm update is completed
  6. Reboot Sync (is this one necessary?)
  7. Master Reset (is this one necessary?)
  8. Reboot Sync (is this one necessary?)
  9. Turn off car
  10. Start car and plug in USB with file set two to complete Sync upgrade
  11. Let it update
  12. Let it reboot
  13. Let it complete updating
  14. Turn off car, wait 5 minutes
  15. Restart car
  16. Confirm update is completed
  17. Enjoy, finally

If I got something wrong, please let me know!

Thanks

edit » went ahead and used Spart's setup directly then the full Sync 3 one. Seems to have worked, but will verify later.

edit 2 » showing Sync 3 now and Android Auto is working, I also swapped the USB cord for the one that came with my Pixel just in case that was part of the issue.

Last edited:

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Old thread - but thought I'd update. So I swapped my Base '17 car to non NAV Sync 3. All that went fine, but the unit I bought was from a '16 and had Sync software v1. Everything worked but of course no car play. Tried the straight v3 update, didn't work. No memory error. Tried that anyway. No dice. Found a link and downloaded the non NAV 2.2 full upgrade. That worked fine. That was yesterday, just now tried the full v3 update, worked fine. All latest updates installed. Keep in mind, it's been mentioned here, the initial update runs for maybe 10 minutes or so. Then a message pops up on the screen fast, (too fast to read) then another dialog box tells you the 1st part of the update is done, restart the car to continue and your convenience.

I turned the car off (USB still connected) closed the doors, gave it a few minutes, started car, the second part of the update ran - maybe 10 minutes? Update completed, restarted no issue. V3 is on and running.

Ummricki

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricardo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Old thread - but thought I'd update. So I swapped my Base '17 car to non NAV Sync 3. All that went fine, but the unit I bought was from a '16 and had Sync software v1. Everything worked but of course no car play. Tried the straight v3 update, didn't work. No memory error. Tried that anyway. No dice. Found a link and downloaded the non NAV 2.2 full upgrade. That worked fine. That was yesterday, just now tried the full v3 update, worked fine. All latest updates installed. Keep in mind, it's been mentioned here, the initial update runs for maybe 10 minutes or so. Then a message pops up on the screen fast, (too fast to read) then another dialog box tells you the 1st part of the update is done, restart the car to continue and your convenience.

I turned the car off (USB still connected) closed the doors, gave it a few minutes, started car, the second part of the update ran - maybe 10 minutes? Update completed, restarted no issue. V3 is on and running.
Do you happen to have that link for the 2.2 update??

Sponsored

Myfirst4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
So cliffnotes, download the media in the quoted link unzipped in usb 1, update car, shut car off, then update with published ford version 3.0 on a second usb drive.
This worked perfectly for me. Was incredibly frustrated before you provided the solution so thanks.

Followed Ford's instructions to a tee using the Sync 3.0 update, didn't work.

Downloaded the small file from above from the F-150/Acool, ran it. It installed quickly. Then used the exact same file I got from Ford that failed before and it installed perfectly.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
So cliffnotes, download the media in the quoted link unzipped in usb 1, update car, shut car off, then update with published ford version 3.0 on a second usb drive.
So I did that but still have the mem error when I got to install 3.0

NOW. I am trying to install the latest 3.0 version that just came out.

Should I install the first version 3.0? Then update it too the latest?
I am starting at 2.2.

Thanks
Sponsored