SpeedRacerXT

SpeedRacerXT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Beats me, rear mounted turbos? They sure picked an oddball for a guinea pig.
Hmm, I'm going to double-check with mine as far as fit goes - that might be the reason they are saying to pull the rear bumper. If I don't have to pull mine, it will go faster.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so what is with this wacky exhaust setup on this Mustang? This is from the installation sheet. What's with those weird extra looping pipes?????
2019-01-19 13.17.43.jpg
Those are called J pipes and it is a Solo Performance exhaust. J pipes are 1/4 wave resonators that remove drone in targeted frequency ranges.

OP
OP
SpeedRacerXT

SpeedRacerXT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Those are called J pipes and it is a Solo Performance exhaust. J pipes are 1/4 wave resonators that remove drone in targeted frequency ranges.
Thanks! Learn something new every day :)

Spin_Doctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I finally installed mine. Installation was a huge PITA, though I managed to get everything back together without breaking anything. I'm a little disappointed how low the hitch is. The receiver is easily 1.5" below the diffuser. My back rack nearly scraped pulling into my driveway.
hitch.jpg

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
More pictures. How long does it to install or remove the "bridge" piece?

Sponsored

Mike's Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A
Mine has been sitting in my garage since I got it. I need to stop being so lazy.

Did you remove the bumper, per the instructions, or were you able to get it on another way?

Spin_Doctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
More pictures. How long does it to install or remove the "bridge" piece?
I don't have any more pictures right now. It took me about 6 hours to install and re-assemble everything. I'm not sure which piece you are referring to.
Mine has been sitting in my garage since I got it. I need to stop being so lazy.

Did you remove the bumper, per the instructions, or were you able to get it on another way?
I removed the diffuser and one bracket that the diffuser connects to near the reverse light. I'm not sure if it is any easier than removing the entire bumper, but I was concerned about breaking the bumper. I'd have to check again to see if it is absolutely necessary to remove the diffuser or the bumper.
I also wound up removing the entire cat back exhaust. You have to drop the exhaust anyways. It is not much more work to remove it entirely, assuming your clamps are not seized. I think the whole installation would have gone much quicker if I pulled the exhaust in the beginning.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Ok, so what is with this wacky exhaust setup on this Mustang? This is from the installation sheet. What's with those weird extra looping pipes?????
2019-01-19 13.17.43.jpg
That is my car. That is a Solo Performance Mach XV catback. Those loop pipes are there to cancel out drone -- and it must work because there's zero drone.

Before y'all start being asses, go to the beginning of this thread when I explained my car was the test mule. I have the very first Stealth Hitch prototype still. And it's for sale in the Atlanta area. :)

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I don't have any more pictures right now. It took me about 6 hours to install and re-assemble everything. I'm not sure which piece you are referring to.
So a normal hitch has the ugly exposed hitch, which you then slide the receiver hitch into.

The stealth hitch has a hidden hitch, that takes the (exposed) L shaped receiver, that the receiver hitch slides into. IF the L shaped bridge is a huge pain to install and remove, then you might be tempted to just leave it in place. At which point the stealth hitch would become just a very expensive regular hitch.

Spin_Doctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
So a normal hitch has the ugly exposed hitch, which you then slide the receiver hitch into.

The stealth hitch has a hidden hitch, that takes the (exposed) L shaped receiver, that the receiver hitch slides into. IF the L shaped bridge is a huge pain to install and remove, then you might be tempted to just leave it in place. At which point the stealth hitch would become just a very expensive regular hitch.
I misunderstood your original question. I was referring to installation of the entire hitch to the vehicle. The L shaped receiver is very easy to install and remove. There is a handle on the side that you rotate to remove the receiver. To install, you just push it into the block and it automatically latches.

Sponsored

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
After talking with Steve beginning of October 2018 about a Stealth Hitch for my 2018 EcoBoost, he informed me they had prototyped it for the S550 Mustang, but not with an OEM exhaust. Also, since the rear bumper cover changed with the 2018, he would need to verify that fitment as well. I arranged to drive my car from Florida to his facility in Georgia on November 5, 2018, bright and early in the morning. Steve and his team were exceptional! They had a hitch ready to install when I arrived. Took measurements, took off the bumper, and determined that on the 2018, the clearances were more critical. Worked with them to modify the hitch so that it was tucked up as far as possible and minimized the draw bar drop. They spent all day on it, but in the end I had a hitch that no one can see unless I snap the draw bar in place. This thing is a freakin work of art and built to last. I show my car, and unless I tell someone its there and they put there face down to the ground, they don't see it, ever! Yet I can tow a jet ski or small lawn trailer when I need to.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
After talking with Steve beginning of October 2018 about a Stealth Hitch for my 2018 EcoBoost
[...]
This thing is a freakin work of art and built to last. I show my car, and unless I tell someone its there and they put there face down to the ground, they don't see it, ever! Yet I can tow a jet ski or small lawn trailer when I need to.
Am I to understand from this that the present offering for 2018 MY Mustangs is factory-adjusted like yours? Any difference for 5.0s? (I looked at the Stealth site and was unable to find a hitch for 2018 Mustang 5.0 coupe. What am I doing wrong?)

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Am I to understand from this that the present offering for 2018 MY Mustangs is factory-adjusted like yours? Any difference for 5.0s? (I looked at the Stealth site and was unable to find a hitch for 2018 Mustang 5.0 coupe. What am I doing wrong?)
Yes, the current offering for 2018+ is a direct result of fitment to my car. This hitch will fit both 5.0 and EcoBoost. The only caveat to that is if you have an after market exhaust that radically departs from OEM muffler fitment in the bumper area. Here is a link to the product page. https://stealthhitches.com/products/ford-mustang-2018-present

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. I appreciate your effort on my behalf.

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
That is my car. That is a Solo Performance Mach XV catback. Those loop pipes are there to cancel out drone -- and it must work because there's zero drone.

Before y'all start being asses, go to the beginning of this thread when I explained my car was the test mule. I have the very first Stealth Hitch prototype still. And it's for sale in the Atlanta area. :)
@wildcatgoal I assume you never had the Stealth Hitch installed with your Velox diffuser installed as well correct? I don't see how it could be done (without a lot of hacking/modification to the diffuser), but just wanted to confirm.
Sponsored