Sponsored

2019 GT - Clear Bra and Ceramic Quote - worth the price??

Schooley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 NFG Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Full car film I got a quote of 5k from a local Xpel shop.

However, 2400 at the same shop for full front clip and rockers - so I'll likely go this route with film.
Look into Suntek Ultra, my detailer showed me both films.. xpel looks like clear(ish) orange peel.
Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Unless you care about the paint being 100% chip free I wouldn’t bother. If you are anal about your paint, wouldn’t you be driven crazy by the additional orange peel and the clear bra lines that’ll gunk up and be easy to see? If the paint gets chipped enough, professional repaint might be the smarter idea.
Having experience with both cquartz ceramic and traditional sealant wax combo, the depth on the traditional method looks way better. My sealant itself can last 6-12 months by itself and the wax maybe 3 months. Unless you don’t plan on washing your car, a quick wax product can extend the protection with only a little more effort.
Also, be careful with ceramic coating, they get water spots.

The auto detailing market is overpriced imo. I’ve worked with hammered paint with my friends and new cars like the mustang. Near flawless paint correction on new cars can be done within 6 hours with a buddy, waxing included.
That shouldn’t cost you 1200-2500 bucks. Now the application of vinyl, clear bra may be a different story since I still can’t do it worth shit. But paint correction with a D/A polisher is so easy to learn and pick up. You literally can’t fuck up unlike a rotary tool.

Also be careful of which shop you take it too, a lot of then post flawless paint on their Instagram but in truth what they did was use a super aggresive compound and their expensive rupes machine and stripped most of the clearcoat. This is not what you want.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree it seems like a crazy amount of money. Half front-end, A-pillers and strip across front roofline and panel behind rear wheel came to 1500 in Xpel. Another thousand for the coating. But my car sits outside in the sun, snow, sleet 24/7 and hopefully will see at least a dozen HPDE days this year. I'm doing the doors and trunk and maybe the rest of the roof myself with bulk wrap since those are simple flat surfaces. You can buy DIY pre-cut kits from the big 3 so if you don't want to pay for labor and expertise there is that route.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely get the XPel, but maybe get some other quotes because he is a bit high. A bit high, but not outrageous assuming that he is good. The paint on these cars is thin and chips quickly.

I'd have him buff out the whole car while he has it and coat it yourself for $100. If you can wax a car you can handle it.

In the family fleet we have all the latest and greatest coatings done professionally. The only one that was diy is my car and you'd never guess if you saw all the cars together:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I just got mine back from the Xpel+OptiCoat treatment. It looks very,very good but I've seen cars that really pop, so "better" is possible - but I can't say if those cars had similar foundations.

I bought 20ft worth of SunTek for a quite modest sum to do other parts of the car in a couple weeks.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
You actually can wax on top of a coating. Wax or sealant. It will give an extra pop.
Not true. Some waxes like Collinite 845 rejects ceramic coating and doesnt bond at all.

aks0605

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Not true. Some waxes like Collinite 845 rejects ceramic coating and doesnt bond at all.
"Some waxes rejects it" not all waxes and sealants. I'm not saying it's worth the time or will give your breath taking results. I'm just saying it can be done.