Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
2016 GTPP Base Sync (4.2" screen) manual trans

Intermittently my backup camera does not come on when I put it in reverse. I've found several threads on that, but none seem to mention that the backup LIGHT also doesn't work.

The camera is a convenience, the light is a safety issue. I brought this up to the dealer, they replaced the camera, but it still does it occasionally. Also, the screen no longer displays the guide lines, which I thought was weird.

Since both the reverse lights and the camera/screen stop working in conjunction, it sounds more like a bad reverse switch in the trans. Looks like a $45 part.

I guess my question is for those whose backup cameras malfunctioned, did your reverse lights still illuminate?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
In the 2015-2016’s, there was a known issue with the harness attached to the trunk lid being too short. If the owner used the trunk lid a lot, eventually the wires within the harness would wear and break.

If the wires broke, the most noticeable failure would be an sporadic issues or complete inoperative rear back up camera.

Open the trunk lid, the harness that runs down the RIGHT side (passenger) in a fastback is the harness that is known to break. At the juncture where the harness bends, remove the outer harness casing and inspect the wires from that point and going further back under the rear deck. Check for any breakage or possibly chafing where bare wires are making contact with each other. The fix (and what Ford Techs will do) is just lengthen and splice new wires into the existing, shrink tube everything off, put outer casing back on and tape.

Inoperative Park Aid Camera, Luggage Compartment Lamp, DeckLid Release And/Or Poor Satellite Radio Reception – 2015-2017 Ford Mustang
oemdtc May 5, 2016
Diagnostic Tips
SSM 47306 – 2015-2017 Mustang – Inoperative Park Aid Camera, Luggage Compartment Lamp, DeckLid Release And/Or Poor Satellite Radio Reception

Some 2015-2017 Mustang vehicles may experience an inoperative Rear Parking Aid Camera, luggage compartment lamp, deck lid release and/or poor satellite radio reception.

Check the 14A005 wire harness at the right deck lid hinge for damage between the package tray harness retaining clip and the deck lid harness retainer clip.

Repair the harness following repair guidelines from section 5-1 of the wiring diagram.

If equipped with deck lid mounted satellite antenna, make sure the shielding is wrapped on the antenna wires securely after any repair.

Secure the harness ensuring it rolls downward into the trunk area when closing the deck lid and does not become trapped between the deck lid and the deck lid opening flange.

This concern may be accompanied by Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) B115E, C1001, and B1A89.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2015 – 2017 CAR: ZG S550N MUSTANG

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
My backup camera was failing intermittently for me. The screen would go blue when I put the car in reverse, then black, then pop up a message saying, "Camera Unavailable". The dealer replaced the harness from the camera, not sure how long of a piece, and it worked fine for about 2 weeks but now it started again. I brought the car in yesterday and they said there is a new TSB out there for this since my last visit. I had someone look up new TSB's and they came up with TSB 18-2362 (found here:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...-pdf.328310/&usg=AOvVaw0m1tqUyiVFBCoSXe2PJgxy)

Why does this look shockingly similar the above post, which is dated May 5, 2016? What is "new" about this that my dealer just noticed now?

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
The TSB seems to tell me that they're cutting out a section of the harness and replacing it rather than trying to splice it together as it is on the car.

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Coupe Step 2 says to splice in the new section.

But my question is what is different about this TSB than that above post? Is that not an official TSB but a precursor?

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Ugh. I have to tackle this issue this week. Fucking Ford.

JR

OP
OP
aleccolin

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
FWIW my particular problem - which manifested a little different than most having the harness issue - turned out to be a bad body control module (BCM) which was also causing the car to randomly go fully possessed and be undriveable.

So far it appears to be resolved. I believe that the harness TSB was performed previously when they also replaced my backup camera, but I can't find the paperwork to confirm that.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
So I dealt with this yesterday, and ended up butt connecting everything back together and all is well. That said, the wires are still pretty taught when the trunk is open.

How would one go about lengthening these wires to give it some slack?

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
So I dealt with this yesterday, and ended up butt connecting everything back together and all is well. That said, the wires are still pretty taught when the trunk is open.

How would one go about lengthening these wires to give it some slack?
I put butt connectors at each end, and inserted about a 4" length of 16 guage wire in between, then applied heat shrink over the butt connectors, then a loom wrap over that. There are still two wires that were unbroken, and, not wanting to mess with something that isn't broken, I left those alone. I suspect I'll need to fix them at some point.

JR

JazonX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason Bourne
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thank to this thread, I fixed my issue as well.
This just happened yesterday to me, and google brought me here.

The Reverse camera showed a blue screen and an error saying contact dealer, and my trunk light kept shutting off for no reason. Opened up the truck, and saw that the big cable running car to decklid is tightened with a cable tie, and that was too tight. So every time I open the truck, it may have got damaged.

As suspected, spliced the big cable it and found 3 cables were cut in half.
Took 3 wires from an old LED light and added a little bit of extra space, reconnected them, and removed that cable tie in the end which was holding it to the lid.
Wrapped cable with heat shrink tape and everything looks as new now.

Both Camera, and truck light is working perfectly.

Thank you for this thread and the insight!
Cheers.

Parking Camera Issue (2).jpg
Sponsored