Sponsored

Do you have audio questions?

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
What ohms are the rear speakers on a 17 premium 9 speaker system? I’m replacing mine I bought GTO629’s which are 3ohm. Hoping they turn out better than oem quality and volume.
Sponsored

2016Gruv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
The SPL difference between nominal 3 ohm and 4 ohm speakers, with all else being equal, will be inaudible. I wouldn't get hung up over minor differences in impedance.

slater550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
looking for guidance on a speaker amp.
currently have alpine R-W12D4 sub, powered by a alpine R-A75M amp. also using an LC7i processor. everything being hooked up to stock stereo.
question I have is about speakers. I cant decide. in my 06 mustang I had infinity kappa's. crutchfield says they wont fit in the 18 mustang but they wouldn't "fit" in my 06 either.
my three current choices are infinity kappa 62ix, alpine type R SPR60's, or infinity reference REF6532ex. im really leaning towards the alpines, but im curious if a compact amp like the alpine KTP-445U power pack is big enough to power them or if a step up amp will be needed. I was told that amp would work for the infinity references.
any audio experts guidance is greatly appreciated

2016Gruv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
The amp will work with any of the speaker models you listed, though certainly not ideal for use with the Alpine. Consider this: The Infinity Kappa 62ix has the best efficiency/sensitivity at 95 dB. The reference 6532ex isn't too far behind at 93 dB, but the Alpine Type R SPR-60 is 88 dB. The 7 dB difference between the Kappa and Alpine is significant when you consider that to achieve a 3 dB increase requires a doubling of power (watts). Even with full power (100w) the Alpine speakers will never get as loud as either Infinity models due to the lower efficiency.

The amp matches best with the Infinity Reference (rated at 55w) and will work adequately with the Kappas (75w), but consider at least doubling the power if you go with the Alpine Type R SPR-60 (100w).

slater550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
Man. I cant thank you enough for that info. Im truly ignorant when it comes to this.
Can you recomend an amp for the kappas and or the alpines so i can make an intelligent decision?
I dont kno much about the kappa references. I kinda base it off price and i feel like $99 a pair am i getting a good speaker.
Ive had the kappas and loved them. Thank you very much

Sponsored

2016Gruv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I haven't kept up with the latest trends in car audio for well over 20 years, so have no specific recommendations. Any quality brand amp that matches its power rating to the power handling of the speakers should work fine.

slater550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
So the compact amp i had in original post would be good for the referances, but not ideal for the kappas or alpines

2016Gruv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
General rule of thumb: Use an amp rated at the same watts RMS as the speaker.

The compact amp wouldn't be an ideal fit with the Alpine speakers because of the low efficiency/sensitivity of those speakers. A 100-watt amp is a better match—Alpine Type R SPR-60 speakers are rated 100w RMS—and even then these speakers won't get quite as loud as either of the Infinity speakers.

As I mentioned in my first post, the compact amp will work with any of the speakers you listed. If you plan to play it loud, then the amp will work well with the Infinity Reference. It will be adequate with the Kappas. A 75wpc amp on the Kappas will provide about 2 dB more SPL over the 45wpc Alpine compact amp. 2 dB is a marginally perceivable increase in level. Having more power will help the transients sound better though, so it's not always about max SPL.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Zapco's Rule!
6bGlZ5TiIQPg3vP4f4sPEI-4yNpx8-PmBfICvBOS0_QN-6CuArYCjW_51mMO41cgm1_LFKuxFgfqsMY9M=w1767-h1064-no.jpg
ashrGPFIuFrEL2oe83-QUuu5Z0M2v9_7SVmyGf-BfRn7lxgFOMWfXTWqhLwf43qAg7LoL9pBKFIssnfl0=w1419-h1064-no.jpg
Please tell what / how you mounted that amp? is it in the seat? what is the black thing behind it that you have. Is that mounted up onto the metal? reason I ask is im going to be installing my amp and such soon. I dont want to mount them in my seat, and I cant mount in spare tire well as I have a spare tire. I was thinking of mounting the amp to the rear deck entirely idk if I can yet, but if that black thing works and doesn't damage the seats that would be perfectttt.

Where can I buy it and how is it mounted?

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Please tell what / how you mounted that amp? is it in the seat? what is the black thing behind it that you have. Is that mounted up onto the metal? reason I ask is im going to be installing my amp and such soon. I dont want to mount them in my seat, and I cant mount in spare tire well as I have a spare tire. I was thinking of mounting the amp to the rear deck entirely idk if I can yet, but if that black thing works and doesn't damage the seats that would be perfectttt.

Where can I buy it and how is it mounted?
The DSP and amp are mounted on a black Lexan panel I custom ordered from Tap Plastics. It is mounted to a metal flange which is part of the rear deck lid so my rear seats are fully operational. It’s not good to mount an amp upside down on a horizontal surface because it will be sitting in its own heat making more heat. I have more photos I can post of the fabrication if you would like.

Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
The DSP and amp are mounted on a black Lexan panel I custom ordered from Tap Plastics. It is mounted to a metal flange which is part of the rear deck lid so my rear seats are fully operational. It’s not good to mount an amp upside down on a horizontal surface because it will be sitting in its own heat making more heat. I have more photos I can post of the fabrication if you would like.
How much did that panel cost you? I dont need a big one, I have just an amp that I am going to be hooking up. (MRV-M500) class d small amp. If they could just make me a small square I can put on the right side of the rear deck instead of centered I might spring for it.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
Just an FYI for all you amp shoppers, for an excellent compact low heat high output amp you want to go with a class D amplifier. The Zapco I installed is a top shelf amp for about a mid range price that will blow the pants off most “name brand” amps on the market. Zapco has been around since the advent of high end mobile stereo in the late 70’s and produces extremely well built amps.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
How much did that panel cost you? I dont need a big one, I have just an amp that I am going to be hooking up. (MRV-M500) class d small amp. If they could just make me a small square I can put on the right side of the rear deck instead of centered I might spring for it.
You can go on Tap Plastics website and type in the exact size, bevel, corner radius etc. and get an exact price . I think I paid 30+$ but it is big enough to add another amp which I’ll do for my sub woofer.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
You can go on Tap Plastics website and type in the exact size, bevel, corner radius etc. and get an exact price . I think I paid 30+$ but it is big enough to add another amp which I’ll do for my sub woofer.
Thanks. Did you cut your own holes or did you have them do that? I’m assuming you ordered a square basically and drilled your own holes

How thick is your sheet too?

slater550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
General rule of thumb: Use an amp rated at the same watts RMS as the speaker.

The compact amp wouldn't be an ideal fit with the Alpine speakers because of the low efficiency/sensitivity of those speakers. A 100-watt amp is a better match—Alpine Type R SPR-60 speakers are rated 100w RMS—and even then these speakers won't get quite as loud as either of the Infinity speakers.

As I mentioned in my first post, the compact amp will work with any of the speakers you listed. If you plan to play it loud, then the amp will work well with the Infinity Reference. It will be adequate with the Kappas. A 75wpc amp on the Kappas will provide about 2 dB more SPL over the 45wpc Alpine compact amp. 2 dB is a marginally perceivable increase in level. Having more power will help the transients sound better though, so it's not always about max SPL.

so taking what you have said, for the infinniti kappas, the following would be a much better amp for those speakers.....

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTA30FW/Alpine-KTA-30FW-Tough-Power-Pack.html
Sponsored