BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Added BMR Caster/Camber plates today, and replaced the Steeda fixed pro action struts with Ford Performance Track struts.

Ride is quite a bit better. It feels more polished and controlled (was already good in this regard before). All the small and medium bumps are dealt with more easily/smoothly/quickly. So far the handling is similar, though I haven't really pushed it much yet, and need to get it aligned on Monday. Overall I'm very happy! Just over 3 hrs from start to finish, definitely taking my time.
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I added the Steeda roll center correction lateral links over the weekend. Wow what a great mod! This is one of my favorites.
After getting it aligned here are the pro and cons.

Pros:
- Far, far more and better steering feedback; it actually weights up with steering lock and you can feel what the tire is doing at even just moderate levels of spirited driving
- The front of the car stays really flat, this has many benefits...
- Prior to this mod, the handling was great, but it did always feel like the front wanted to continue rolling. That would make the rear come with. Now, the front rolls quick and less, takes a set and the whole car squats up. It feels way more planted overall, not just up front. The prior behavior wasn't as apparent to me as it is now that it's corrected.
- More front grip. I can't wait to get this car to autocross and track.

Cons:
- Very slight amount of bumpsteer. It's little enough that I have to be paying attention for it to really notice. I will be correcting this, but for cars with no drop or very modest drops, I'd argue this may be optional.

@MTECH6G @J.P.B. I found your next mod, guys. You want older BMW M-like steering? Feels Great. This combined with the tension link bearing is :handsinair::rockon::thumbsup::fistbump:
KILLER review @BmacIL. Some of this I know from adding it on my car. I particularly liked the last bit regarding the older BMW M-like steering. This could be a gamechanger for those steering fanatics out there.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Looking forward to your impressions once you install the bumpsteer kit. Seems like the alignment solved most of the bumpsteer!

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Looking forward to your impressions once you install the bumpsteer kit. Seems like the alignment solved most of the bumpsteer!
I don't expect much change to be honest, though once I put my summer wheels on, the very small amount of bumpsteer will be magnified.

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Added BMR's new SM760 rear shock mounts today! They perform great.
0319191652.jpg

Sponsored

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Did you notice any difference? I installed my Steeda mounts along with new bump stops, shocks, springs and caster/camber plates. It was a huge improvement in what was a super choppy ride with the BMR lockout kit plus a bunch of rear IRS bearings. The ride was even better than OEM stock PP (which was not great) - both at high speed and low.

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Did you notice any difference? I installed my Steeda mounts along with new bump stops, shocks, springs and caster/camber plates. It was a huge improvement in what was a super choppy ride with the BMR lockout kit plus a bunch of rear IRS bearings. The ride was even better than OEM stock PP (which was not great) - both at high speed and low.
Oh yeah the ride is improved with these. With the FP Track dampers all around, BMR plates and these mounts it feels significantly better than it did even a few weeks ago. It easily exceeds stock PP in ride quality, and the PP isn't even in the same league for handling.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi @BmacIL it looks like you went from PP lateral links to Steeda lateral links. If I've got that right it looks like you rate it as worthwhile?

Cheers

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hi @BmacIL it looks like you went from PP lateral links to Steeda lateral links. If I've got that right it looks like you rate it as worthwhile?

Cheers
Most definitely. Worthwhile would honestly be an understatement. They are a very significant upgrade to the car's handling. They do need the bumpsteer kit paired with them, though.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Most definitely. Worthwhile would honestly be an understatement. They are a very significant upgrade to the car's handling. They do need the bumpsteer kit paired with them, though.
You haven't done the bumpsteer part of it yet though right? Seems that way from what you've posted so far.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You haven't done the bumpsteer part of it yet though right? Seems that way from what you've posted so far.
Correct. I have them though, and am planning to install on Friday. When I switched to my summer wheels the very minor bumpsteer turned into quite noticeable bumpsteer. Stock offsets have very little scrub radius so it isn't affected much.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Correct. I have them though, and am planning to install on Friday. When I switched to my summer wheels the very minor bumpsteer turned into quite noticeable bumpsteer. Stock offsets have very little scrub radius so it isn't affected much.
That would make sense, after seeing your initial post I was going to go ahead and grab just the lateral links because I could handle that install myself, but I'll wait until I can do both together.

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I got the bumpsteer kit installed and took it over to get aligned today. Car feels fantastic! I ended up with the bumpsteer at its max adjustment.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I got the bumpsteer kit installed and took it over to get aligned today. Car feels fantastic! I ended up with the bumpsteer at its max adjustment.
Thanks. You probably havent had time to share detailed impressions. Did it remove bumpsteer? How did it change feel and response.
Interesting you went with the max adjustment given you are on low drop springs?

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. You probably havent had time to share detailed impressions. Did it remove bumpsteer? How did it change feel and response.
Interesting you went with the max adjustment given you are on low drop springs?
It certainly did. When I put my summer wheels on, it got very noticeable. Now it's gone. Some tramlining remains, but that's a symptom of wide tires with positive scrub radius. The bumpsteer was exacerbated by those.

I expect that the max adjustment is going to be needed by nearly everyone. I had zero bumpsteer with stock arms with the GT350R lowering, but many have some with slightly lower cars. This basically is doing a full correction.

The feel is still excellent. The steering loads up with lock nicely, and you can feel the tires working. The grip is pretty tremendous, and the car is still super flat. I tried a few high speed corners and I chickened out before it showed any sign of letting go lol. Easily still one of my favorite mods despite the extra work to get it dialed in.
Sponsored