Sponsored

Latest Sync 3 Map Update

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just use a PC for the download not a Mac
Unfortunately, I don’t have easy access to a PC that is connected to the internet. I will find someone who does, but I’m not convinced this will work either. I think there are variations on the file downloaded depending on what version of the software you are on and that the file I require has some sort of inherent issue with it.
Sponsored

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
Bollox, I've had a guts full of downloads. I'm picking up a new Harley in a few days and there's a poxy download already and they don't even tell you what format the Disc needs to be in. I'd like to go back to the old days of just a printed map before sat navs :ontheloo:
:headbang:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
There really is no magic in this.

Firstly avoid a Mac as it does seem to screw up the downloads. The Ford update site did have a faulty zip file on it a few weeks ago but all is fine now. Mustangs will be updated to V3.3 (this is the Sync update only) and is around 2.5Gb. Follow the instructions on the Ford website and it will work. The latest maps are F8 and are not vehicle or country specific. They are around 23Gb in size. Most Fords are still on v3.0 (18025) with no update to v3.2 or v3.3 available yet. The maps can also be downloaded directly from the links on this site: https://s550.guru/how-to-update-ford-sync-3-navigation-maps-europe-f8-2018/

The sync update is the same no matter what version you were on, there is no need for incremental updates

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well I managed to gain access to an internet enabled Windows PC, downloaded the zip file to the desktop and it still wouldn’t extract. Got a message telling me something like ‘please insert the last volume’.

Just can’t get to the bottom of it. Assuming we all get the same file to download would someone be able to Dropbox it to me (or similar)?

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Bollox, I've had a guts full of downloads. I'm picking up a new Harley in a few days and there's a poxy download already and they don't even tell you what format the Disc needs to be in. I'd like to go back to the old days of just a printed map before sat navs :ontheloo:
:headbang:
Or just dump the Mac or use the improved sat nav you get with Android Auto or Apple Carplay! Seems a ridiculous effort to upgrade the Ford sat nav

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I can honestly say using Windows I have had no problem updating my 3 different Fords with Sync 3 all without a hitch and exactly as per the instructions.

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So, after HOURS of research, this is what I’ve concluded...

Using a Mac is not necessarily the issue. The file currently offered by ford to update Sync (the Sync SYSTEM update, not the map update) is V3.2 and is bad/corrupt regardless of platform (mac/pc). Previously, the update was for V3.0 and would download and extract without issue. Therefore those who either updated the Sync software before the 3.2 system update was released, or who had V3.0 on their cars from the factory/dealership would have been able to download and update the maps only to F8.

Anyone who is running software V2.2 or below has to first update to V3.0 or above. If you are doing this for the first time now, you’re basically screwed because the 3.2 update is all you can download from the Ford.co.uk website and that file seems to have an inherent problem that will not let you unzip due to missing data or such like.

However, I may have found a solution...

An internet search for the v3.0 system update led me to the owner.ford.com website (presumably US or worldwide) where I was able to login to my ford account using details I’d previously registered on ford.co.uk. I put in my VIN and the website had all kinds of info such as my current version of Sync software (2.2), when it had last been updated, and a link to download the V3.0 software!

I downloaded the zip file which was 2.75Gb (not the 1.41Gb file that downloads from Ford.co.uk) and it unzipped without issue.

One would hope that given this file was offered based on my VIN that it is correct for my UK/EU vehicle, but there is that element of doubt.

I am tempted to give it a go, but also slightly worried it could knacker everything in Sync, and I’m not aware of a way to back up the current software version.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure the UK download is V3.2. My car came with v3.2 and I have downloaded and extracted to a USB drive what I believe is v3.3 but haven't had a chance to do the update yet. Nothing wrong with the file I downloaded from the UK site which was available when I put my VIN in. Mind you mine is a MY19 car and I know my 67 plate Mondeo doesn't have the option of anything above v3.0 (18025) yet. My download was 2.8Gb from the Ford site.

Certainly F8 maps cannot be installed before you are on v3.0 at the very least. I know F7 works with v3.0 but it may be you need v3.2/v3.3 or higher for F8

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
@Gregs24 It might be V3.3 I'm getting from the Ford UK website, I'm not sure. Either way I'm 99% certain the file it gives me to download is screwed.

This is my VIN: 1FA6P8CF3H5326237

Bang that into the Sync update page and see if you can successfully download and extract that? If so, maybe you could dropbox the extracted files to me? I'll get you a pint some time:thumbsup:

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Your VIN downloads a corrupted archive. My VIN works fine. I wouldn't use mine however as the Sync updates are vehicle specific unlike the maps. For example my Mondeo is on v3.0 and has not been offered v3.2 or v3.3 yet. In fact v3.2/3.3 seem to be MY2019 only at present

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for trying. That’s confirmed my theory! Yes, the file I got from the ford US site is listed as V3.0, and it is VIN specific, so I’m gonna risk a go on that next time I go for a long drive.

miketango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Updated my Sync software this morning...took 18 mins to upload.

This is the screen I got....I uploaded the xml log file to Ford so presumably I can now update the maps ? Not sussed this bit out yet though the sync update was very straightforward (using Mac OS)

View attachment 351768 View attachment 351769
image.png

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Yes that has updated fine and yes you can now do the maps. They will take a lot longer to install with an ignition cycle in the middle

miketango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yes that has updated fine and yes you can now do the maps. They will take a lot longer to install with an ignition cycle in the middle
How large should the map update be ? I have downloaded a file but it’s very small, something like 160k, so I’m guessing somethings not right
Sponsored