HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I was waiting for someone to make something like the Femco's but for 2018+. It's a shame it costs more than the Femcos AND doesn't provide as many of the benefits since the 2018+ plugs already included some of the Femco benefits. And they don't even include a hose for the drainer like Femco does, so you don't even get the benefit of oil not going thru the air without buying a separate hose. That is probably a marketing "mistake" IMO. The person most likely to buy this is also the type who doesn't want to hunt and buy a hose.

Hopefully someone will make a cheaper equivalent. I'd still buy it though. Draining thru a hose is a huge benefit plus these and Femcos let you take a sample of oil or drain excess afterwards if you track with a little extra oil.

I'm going to add a link to this thread in my oil drain valve thread: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/oil-drain-valves.55750/

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Whoa! Ronin claims you have to replace the factory plug for each oil change. First time I've heard that and pretty sure not true. Why do companies insist on making unforced errors?

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
Whoa! Ronin claims you have to replace the factory plug for each oil change. First time I've heard that and pretty sure not true. Why do companies insist on making unforced errors?
I do change my oil drain plug every other change, but it only costs a few$$ so it is no big deal. It would take a whole lot of factory drain plugs to offset the cost of this aftermarket piece!

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I just done see a point.
The main point is to send the oil thru a hose directly to the oil drain pan. No splatter or chasing the flow with the pan. No oil on fingers.

Plus no need to have spare factory plugs on hand. Plus ability to take oil samples at any time or remove excess you added for a track day.

No question it's better than what came from the factory. Only question is how much those benefits are worth to a particular Ford owner.

They do some things strangely, though. For instance you can buy the drainer by itself but can't buy the plug by itself. Only a klutz who loses the drainer would want another one. But anyone with two Fords would want another valve but NOT need another drainer unless they wanted to change oil in two Fords at the exact same time.

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
The main point is to send the oil thru a hose directly to the oil drain pan. No splatter or chasing the flow with the pan. No oil on fingers.

Plus no need to have spare factory plugs on hand. Plus ability to take oil samples at any time or remove excess you added for a track day.

No question it's better than what came from the factory. Only question is how much those benefits are worth to a particular Ford owner.

They do some things strangely, though. For instance you can buy the drainer by itself but can't buy the plug by itself. Only a klutz who loses the drainer would want another one. But anyone with two Fords would want another valve but NOT need another drainer unless they wanted to change oil in two Fords at the exact same time.
They haven't thought it through as thoroughly as you have<g>!

<TED>

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I honestly don't know if that's a requirement or suggestion or not. Meh, just marketing either way.

The magnet is also a cool feature I've actually heard some mention on here they'd like to have. I think it came up in HB's thread about the broken valve spring piece and how a magnet might have caught it; or something along those lines.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The magnet is also a cool feature I've actually heard some mention on here they'd like to have. I think it came up in HB's thread about the broken valve spring piece and how a magnet might have caught it; or something along those lines.
Good point.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GTthree50

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I honestly don't know if that's a requirement or suggestion or not. Meh, just marketing either way.

There is this too.
http://m.uprproducts.com/billet-oil-pan-plug-50-35.html

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's a stock plug drilled through and tapped M12x1.75 with one of these:

https://www.stahlbus-us.com/oil-dra...s-oil-drain-valve-m12x175x12mm-steel-set.html

I had the Stahlbus drain fitting on my 2014 GT500 and I got to wondering how it would work if I threaded it into the stock GT350 drain plug. Turns out that Ford's "plastic" drain plug is reinforced nylon and it's really tough and strong. When I researched Nylon PA66 (molded on the side of the piece) it turns out the glass-reinforced version is about two thirds as strong as aluminum 6061. For a dumb little plug, it's a bit over-engineered.

The task is only really half-done, though. The 12mm threads are just a little too small to fill the 3/8 square opening is in the middle of the factory plug, so to avoid the risk of a leak, I'm waiting on a set of Timeserts to take up the extra space and ensure that it seals. If I'd had an M14 threaded valve on hand, it would have been fine without the Timesert.

One of the things I like about this solution (aside from making it easy to attach a hose and avoid the torrent of hot oil) is that if the car needs an oil change and I don't have the Stahlbus hose fitting, I can just remove the whole plug the normal way.

Stahlbus makes some great stuff, by the way. I've used Stahlbus brake bleeder screws on my cars for years, including the GT350. They are the gold standard for one-man bleeders - they have an actual one-way valve in them and they're sealed with O-rings to keep air out. Nothing else comes close.

Last edited:

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
The Ronin plug seems like a neat idea, esp. if you attach a hose to the outlet.
Sponsored