Sponsored

Bullitt vs. GT Exhaust: Really A Difference??

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
using fords own parts website, and using the vin from a new bullitt and using the vin from my GT with active exhaust, the cars have the same part # for the mufflers.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Stangnut

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
so the answer is - no one knows?
If you go through every piece of Ford material (brochures, website, order guide, etc.), there's absolutely no mention of it.

They talk about the color of the brakes. They talk about contrasting stitching on the seats. They talk about the special intake manifold. But the exhaust? Aside from mentioning the color of the exhaust tips, there's not a word about it beyond the fact that the Bullitt comes with the Active Exhaust system.

3rd party mentions really aren't that valid, because often those articles are based on rumor and "so-an-so said" type information. In fact, that Wards's article above just talks about it having the "freer flowing active exhaust", which you can get on the GT (and EcoBoost, for that matter).

If the Bullitt exhaust system had any differences, you would expect Ford to talk about it. As they don't, it would seem that there is no difference.
That's exactly why I'd like to hear a comparison. Especially under load/at speed. (I hate exhaust clips that are only with the car sitting still.)
It's no really knows for sure. Just a bunch of Ford execs and reps stating the Bullitt has a unique sound.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
That's exactly why I'd like to hear a comparison. Especially under load/at speed. (I hate exhaust clips that are only with the car sitting still.)
Sound clips from the outside of the car (except, perhaps, having a microphone on the side of the road with the cars passing by) will have wind noise. Sound clips from inside the car will have the intake hiss from the sound tube on a GT and the synthesised engine sound through the speakers on a Bullitt.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Has it actually been confirmed that the Bullitt has sound enhancing? That could be the difference from the drivers seat that some may be hearing?

I'm all for whatever makes a car sound better and if that means artificially REMOVING the bad frequencies to let the good ones shine through, I say do it.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has it actually been confirmed that the Bullitt has sound enhancing? That could be the difference from the drivers seat that some may be hearing?
IIRC, it's been confirmed that the Bullitt has the same FORScan code for Engine Sound Enhancement as the EcoBoost and the GT350, while the GT does not.

Sponsored

BU11LTO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard.
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
IIRC, it's been confirmed that the Bullitt has the same FORScan code for Engine Sound Enhancement as the EcoBoost and the GT350, while the GT does not.
Hi, I do own a Bullitt & l was unaware of sound enhancement & have be told the opposite where can l find the information that confirms that the Bullitt has Enhancement?

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
Carl Widmann explains the differences in the exhaust sound. Mostly around 6.50 point but it’s all worth listening to :)

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi, I do own a Bullitt & l was unaware of sound enhancement & have be told the opposite where can l find the information that confirms that the Bullitt has Enhancement?
Depends on how firmly you want to define "confirmation".

Car and Driver says Ford admits it: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a22575411/2019-ford-mustang-bullitt-first-drive-review/
"And, Ford admits, some sound is filled in from the car’s speakers."

If you don't want to take the word of a 3rd party reporting what someone at Ford says, the most direct way would be to get a FORScan setup and turn it on and off yourself. There's some threads around here somewhere with the specific settings to change.

Carl Widmann explains the differences in the exhaust sound. Mostly around 6.50 point but it’s all worth listening to :)
Starting at 6:46:
  • And it's a different sound as well.
  • Yup.
  • Different X-pipe or different anything like that underneath?
  • The hardware is different because we've got a different plating on it and big changes with the algorithm and the sound of the car changes quite a bit with the open air intake and the intake manifold. The intake manifold has a different flow through it so it gives it a different sound in the front and then the open air intake, you hear a lot more of that than you do with the closed box. So, the character of the sound changes quite a bit when you get in it versus the 18.
  • No resonator changes or anything like that?
  • No resonator anymore, really, in the front. Oh, in the back, yeah.
  • Yup.
  • No, in the back, in the back it's ultimately controlled in the muffler system, really from that perspective.
  • Oh, so the intake doesn't have any resonator?
  • Just one, we actually had to get rid of one to fit the package of the open air intake.
  • Oh, cool.
  • So we've got one that's in there.

So, if you want to take Mr. Widmann's comments as definitive, it appears that:
  1. the only difference in the Bullitt exhaust versus that of a GT with Active Exhaust is that the exhaust tips have a different plating on them; and
  2. the Bullitt does have sound enhancement and/or noise cancellation (as he does not specify as to what the "big changes" made to the algorithm actually encompassed).

Last edited:

BU11LTO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard.
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Depends on how firmly you want to define "confirmation".

Car and Driver says Ford admits it: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a22575411/2019-ford-mustang-bullitt-first-drive-review/
"And, Ford admits, some sound is filled in from the car’s speakers."

If you don't want to take the word of a 3rd party reporting what someone at Ford says, the most direct way would be to get a FORScan setup and turn it on and off yourself. There's some threads around here somewhere with the specific settings to change.

Starting at 6:46:
  • And it's a different sound as well.
  • Yup.
  • Different X-pipe or different anything like that underneath?
  • The hardware is different because we've got a different plating on it and big changes with the algorithm and the sound of the car changes quite a bit with the open air intake and the intake manifold. The intake manifold has a different flow through it so it gives it a different sound in the front and then the open air intake, you hear a lot more of that than you do with the closed box. So, the character of the sound changes quite a bit when you get in it versus the 18.
  • No resonator changes or anything like that?
  • No resonator anymore, really, in the front. Oh, in the back, yeah.
  • Yup.
  • No, in the back, in the back it's ultimately controlled in the muffler system, really from that perspective.
  • Oh, so the intake doesn't have any resonator?
  • Just one, we actually had to get rid of one to fit the package of the open air intake.
  • Oh, cool.
  • So we've got one that's in there.

So, if you want to take Mr. Widmann's comments as definitive, it appears that:
  1. the only difference in the Bullitt exhaust versus that of a GT with Active Exhaust is that the exhaust tips have a different plating on them; and
  2. the Bullitt does have sound enhancement and/or noise cancellation (as he does not specify as to what the "big changes" made to the algorithm actually encompassed).
Just what l thought load of hear say l wouldn't take any notice of what car journalist write as some of them write comments that are totally irrelevant to the model they are testing.
I have driven cars with the sound piped through the speakers & my Bullitt has no sound coming from the speakers or any where on the interior it sounds the same as the outside but not as loud due to insulation in the cabin etc.Everyone comments how good the car sounds on the road so not sure what everyone is worrying about it's the real deal.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just what l thought load of hear say l wouldn't take any notice of what car journalist write as some of them write comments that are totally irrelevant to the model they are testing.
I have driven cars with the sound piped through the speakers & my Bullitt has no sound coming from the speakers or any where on the interior it sounds the same as the outside but not as loud due to insulation in the cabin etc.Everyone comments how good the car sounds on the road so not sure what everyone is worrying about it's the real deal.
Not sure what point you're trying to make, but:
  1. The part numbers on the Bullitt exhaust components are the same as those on the GT with Active exhaust, except for the different colored tips.
  2. The Bullitt has the active sound components turned on in the ECU, accessible via FORScan.
Take from that what you will.

Or, conversely, what type of documentation do you feel is adequate?

Last edited:

Sponsored

BU11LTO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard.
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Not sure what point you're trying to make, but:
  1. The part numbers on the Bullitt exhaust components are the same as those on the GT with Active exhaust, except for the different colored tips.
  2. The Bullitt has the active sound components turned on in the ECU, accessible via FORScan.
Take from that what you will.

Or, conversely, what type of documentation do you feel is adequate?
i don't need documentation l own the car & have explained it the best way l can l have no noise piped in to my car. l have driven a GT & Bullitt & the sound inside & out is different sound to a GT.
Do you own either of these cars a 2018 GT or Bullitt?

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i don't need documentation l own the car & have explained it the best way l can l have no noise piped in to my car.
It would appear that Carl Widmann, Ford's chief engineer for both the Mustang and for Ford Performance, disagrees with you, as he's shown on camera (above at the 2018 Chicago auto show media event) saying that it does. I'll put my trust his ability to understand what is in the car and how it presents itself.

l have driven a GT & Bullitt & the sound inside & out is different sound to a GT.
No kidding. No one says it doesn't. Again, as explained above by the chief engineer on the car, "the sound of the car changes quite a bit with the open air intake and the intake manifold."

Had you bothered to look at the descriptor in any of my posts, you'll see that I have a 2019 on order. A more pertinent question would be to ask what cars I drove in the process of placing that order. But, again, no one says they don't sound different. The devil's in the details of why they sound different.

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
i don't need documentation l own the car & have explained it the best way l can l have no noise piped in to my car. l have driven a GT & Bullitt & the sound inside & out is different sound to a GT.
Sorry man but there’s noise pumped through the speakers electronically instead of the (also artificial) analogue sound tube in the GT which complements changes to the air intake plus throttle body and maybe influenced from a model specific tune which might help give extra pops on the overrun etc..

It’s well documented...

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
When it's noise cancellation of the bad frequencies I'm not so sure we'd actually be able to hear anything coming from the speakers with the human ear.

Most people seem to assume that it's fake engine noise being ADDED, but most times I'd guess it's the bad engine noises being REMOVED and thereby leaving the pure & good engine sounds to shine through.

BU11LTO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard.
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
When it's noise cancellation of the bad frequencies I'm not so sure we'd actually be able to hear anything coming from the speakers with the human ear.

Most people seem to assume that it's fake engine noise being ADDED, but most times I'd guess it's the bad engine noises being REMOVED and thereby leaving the pure & good engine sounds to shine through.
Thanks better explained than myself.
Sponsored