Sponsored

Hybrid ceramic wax

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I have been doing detailing for the past 15 years (had a business for a few years) , and I tried most of products on the market. I have yet to find anything that stands as well as Cquartz to weather, wear and tear. If you apply 2 coats, it will last you 2 years; if you maintain it with Reload every month or so.
I can take detailed pics of my car after 3 years of ownership ... You will never look back.
It's not that hard to apply either, just don't do it when it's too hot (or too cold for that matter).
I'm like you as I applied CQuartz to F0077 way back and it has held up tremendously and very happy with it as a ceramic paint protection product.

From a wax and polish standpoint I like to use Griot's Garage products as I like the end result of how it looks and feels when all done.

Time certainly fly's and hard to believe that I have had this car for over 3 years already and still don't have it titled.

:wink:
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@Tomster if you put it on the R wheels I'm curious to hear how it holds up or helps with the brake dust.
Ceramic coatings and such do absolutely nothing to help with brake dust. The same amount will always come off the brakes and stick to the wheels. Where the ceramic coatings come into play is how well and how easy it cleans off.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Ceramic coatings and such do absolutely nothing to help with brake dust. The same amount will always come off the brakes and stick to the wheels. Where the ceramic coatings come into play is how well and how easy it cleans off.
that and protecting the paint from scratches as you clean them

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Yes, the "how well and how easy it cleans off" was what I meant by help with the brake dust. Sorry, I posted quickly and wasn't being clear.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, the "how well and how easy it cleans off" was what I meant by help with the brake dust. Sorry, I posted quickly and wasn't being clear.
I knew what you meant.

Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Did he do the wheels and brake calipers? This guy says he does - I'm forever battling brake dust
I think he did, but honestly, I don't really remember.

For brake dust I use wheel woolies and Adams wheel cleaner. Works like magic.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
So is the consensus that, unlike Xpel or Suntek protective film, ceramic coating is more of a DIY job? Is it really just as easy as spray on and wipe off??

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
So is the consensus that, unlike Xpel or Suntek protective film, ceramic coating is more of a DIY job? Is it really just as easy as spray on and wipe off??
I don't think it's that simple. you need to paint correct the car and prepare before you ceramic coat it. or at least you should do that. some guys can do a great job DIY for everything, but other guys will need to pay up and have a professional do it.the preparation and paint correction is really the most important part of it all in my opinion.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Most (?) are not a spray but rather dribble a few drops onto the sponge and spread. But yes, some of them you let flash for a couple minutes and then wipe off. The 'pro' stuff is generally thicker and some of them require a prep chemical and then a couple hours to cure at STP. The plastics are technically DIY too just so long as you're prepared to take a couple cracks at it. You can buy "bulk" sheet from all 3 suppliers. I had a shop do the hard curves but am going to slap on extra panels on the big flat surfaces and I don't care if they look good or not.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I don't think it's that simple. you need to paint correct the car and prepare before you ceramic coat it. or at least you should do that. some guys can do a great job DIY for everything, but other guys will need to pay up and have a professional do it.the preparation and paint correction is really the most important part of it all in my opinion.
Nailed it.

I touched on it a few posts back. Even if you are capable and confident, and a very good D-I-Y detail guy, it is most certainly not a spray on/wipe off job. Even the OTC brands and products that are made for home use can be, and are, finicky. You gotta have an eye for it or you'll have high spots and all other sorts of quirks that come with coatings. That's not meant to scare you away, but just an awareness thought. And like lightrules stated, the absolute main thing about a coating is the paint needs to be fully corrected and perfect (to your satisfaction) before you apply.

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
I had mine professionally done with a 5 year package a few days after I got the car for a hair over $500. Having it on the wheels definitely makes it easier to get the brake dust off, but it still sticks and turns them brown nonetheless. Ceramic coat definitely isn't Xpel, and it won't save your paint from rock chips or swirl marks. In hind sight, I wish I had spent the cash to Xpel the car right after ceramic coating.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I wish I had spent the cash to Xpel the car right after ceramic coating.
This is actually not the way to go. I knew this before hand, but my local Xpel shop confirmed...they get a lot of returns where edges and surfaces don’t stick right because they were unaware the customer had the car ceramic coated first and the PPF didn’t stick like it’s supposed to. I’d imagine most, like mine did, will tell you to polish it off before getting PPF. Guess that’s a testimate to how good ceramic coatings are.

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
This is actually not the way to go. I knew this before hand, but my local Xpel shop confirmed...they get a lot of returns where edges and surfaces don’t stick right because they were unaware the customer had the car ceramic coated first and the PPF didn’t stick like it’s supposed to. I’d imagine most, like mine did, will tell you to polish it off before getting PPF. Guess that’s a testimate to how good ceramic coatings are.
I didn't know that, so thank you for the info. And some ceramics buff off with minimal effort, others have to be removed with an aggressive abrasive which doesn't sound like fun.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
they get a lot of returns where edges and surfaces don’t stick right because they were unaware the customer had the car ceramic coated first
Just needs a stronger glue. :)
If you let the ceramic 'age' a few weeks the PPF appears to get better adhesion but that depends on the exact coating was applied. Modesta apparently doesn't have that problem or at least not to the same degree. What I still don't grok is the point of putting ceramic over the plastic or at least the fancy stuff. The plastic is supposed to take a beating, so while some 'slickness' is probably helpful in being able to knock dirt off with low effort, the $50-$100 bottle should more than do the job or even a traditional wax.
Sponsored